In searching the web for guitar build threads, I've come across luthiers who make exact copies of vintage Les Pauls. Many of them have Gibson logos and "The Les Paul Model" silkscreened onto the headstock.

Strangely, luthiers who copy vintage Fenders put their own name on the headstock, even though they leave all other details to original spec (like the Fender name stamped into the bridge saddles)

How are they able to do this without breaking copyright laws?
link?

guys aren't supposed to use fender or gibson names or pass off a copy as a fender.

doesnt mean they're going to get shut down or get noticed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
link?

guys aren't supposed to use fender or gibson names or pass off a copy as a fender.

doesnt mean they're going to get shut down or get noticed.

Am I allowed to link to other forums?

I just thought that putting someone else's logo on it would be considered forgery. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble here. I'm just surprised they get away with it.
It's called ghost building. Building a guitar and putting the Gibson or Fender name on it could get you into some hot water. Have a look at Ed Roman's site. He talks about ghost builders there.

Here it is:

http://www.edroman.com/rants/ghost.htm
Last edited by KG6_Steven at May 30, 2010,
Quote by KG6_Steven
It's called ghost building. Building a guitar and putting the Gibson or Fender name on it could get you into some hot water. Have a look at Ed Roman's site. He talks about ghost builders there.

I thought "ghost building" was when a company signs a deal with another company to produce guitars under their name? Like ibanez guitars built in a cort factory? Nothing illegal there.
Not a fan of Ed Roman, but I'll have a look.
Quote by sashki
Am I allowed to link to other forums?

I just thought that putting someone else's logo on it would be considered forgery. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble here. I'm just surprised they get away with it.

if you have a question about a product, you could link it.

but yeah dont bother linking another forum.

guys make things, doesn't mean they are supposed to.

a lot of that stuff is crap to be honest.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by sashki
I thought "ghost building" was when a company signs a deal with another company to produce guitars under their name? Like ibanez guitars built in a cort factory? Nothing illegal there.

I believe you are correct. However, as I understand it, there are a lot of fickled artists out there who want something that appears to be something it is not - such as a custom Gibson, but not built by Gibson. They pay a Luthier to build it for them. Quite often, the fans and even the manufacturers have been hoodwinked into believing the guitar was built by company x, when it actually wasn't.
We have a pub/pool hall here called Sharky's or something, owned and operated independently by a local. Their logo is the exact same as the San Jose Sharks, but with a pool cue instead of a hockey stick. Why do they get away with this? San Jose doesn't give a crap about a tiny pub in my town.

The luthiers who use Gibson and Fender names are far too small to be noticed by the two largest guitar manufacturers working today. If they started advertising their products as such online, however, that might be a different story.
The guitars you are looking at are fakes. The Gibson name on them is there for no other reason to deceive people. It is like the people that sell water slide decals on fleabay. they are made with no other reason then to commit fraud. They put together a POS partscaster add decal and VOILA instant Fender. But, if you have no problems stealing food from the mouths of the employees of these companies go for it.

The only part of a guitar that can be copy written is the headstock. That is why PRS is making single cut guitars again after Gibson too em to court.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok

The only part of a guitar that can be copy written is the headstock. That is why PRS is making single cut guitars again after Gibson too em to court.

Not true - bodies can be copyrighted. The deal is if for 40 or 50 years you don't bother suing anyone then you decide you will 50 years later the fact that copies were allowed will kill your case.

That's why Rickenbacker has always sued everyone who copies them. Put a Ric copy up on ebay and the auction will get pulled in about 30 mins.
Body shapes can definitely by copyrighted as well, how many les paul copies do you see that slightly modify the shape of the horn? quite a lot

And yes, they are infringing on copyright but like most of the world they are getting away with it.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by sashki

that's what i thought too.

i think in the case of luthiers building hi-quality fakes that sort of outplay the genuine article, and selling them as a "replica", is not as much of a problem as all the poor quality fakes you get from those "wholesale" chinese sites. In fact if a luthier built replica was better and you had one, pretended it was a real gibson, anyone who played it would be more likely to want a gibson and the same goes for people like slash playing them - it's advertising gibson whether it's a fake or not. It did a lot to boost the sales even though it wasn't a legitimate gibson, i don't think they are going to sue the guy who built it
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If i remember they tried to claim the body design also but the judge only let them have the rights to headstock shape not the body because it had been in the public domain for so long.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.