And please don't say that solid state are good for just 2 things: for nothing and for build up dust Consider players on a budget.
what is your budget?
what type of music do you play?

what amp are you using now?

do you have access to all kinds of products, including used gear?

this ^ is a better way of starting a thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I don't understand the question... what exactly are you asking?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
stick with randall solid states from the 80's-90's you should be fine.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Isn't really a question. I just want to know about good experiences with solid state. I own a Fender Fm100H with matching cab, and a 60w Crate combo. So far, they have done right from classic rock to trashy metal. Any other good experiences?
why can't players on a budget afford a tube amp? what budget are we talking about here...15 dollars? 50 dollars?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
honestly, I find SS amps to be underrated.
the roland jc-120 is a perfect clean platform.

As for good SS, I've had a few!
the singer of my first band had a 75w SS randall, it was amazing, both clean and distorted
my laney linebacker 65 from the 80s is actually pretty nice, clean is sterile but pretty clean, overdrive is a bit fuzzy, but everything in between is pretty nice =)

also, i love my crate flexwave halfstack, bought it because i loved the cleans on this thing, and i still don't regret it.

That doesn't stop me from using amazing toob amps.
Here in Mexico you really can't get a good working tube amp for less than U$1500. So, in the States, tube amps are "always" a choice?
the jazz chorus ain't cheap though.
the op specifically said think of guitarists on a budget.
Digital modeling doesn't equal solid state right.
no argument from me that transistors can do what their meant to do.
Sending the first part of your signal through a cheap dsp is another thing entirely.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp-103236469-i1145291.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-AC4TV-4W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105352678-i1446380.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-583601-i1475978.gc

If those amps don't exist in mexico or cost 1500us. I'm really sorry.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at May 30, 2010,
A lot of Randall's sound good. I have a RG75 and I quite like it.

Crate used to make some good ss amps like the GX-130c or some of their SS series.

The Ampeg VH-140c is also an awesome amp. These go cheap on ebay.

Also the Roland Jazz Chorus is pretty well know for it's cleans. Not a budget amp though.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at May 30, 2010,
Depends on the wattage. Something like my 75 watt Randall could do most pubs or clubs without much problem. I wouldn't go much lower without being mic'd unless the drummer we were playing with wasn't very loud and the music wasn't too loud either.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
I'll probably get some hate, but I actually like the SS Fender Frontman amps. All I use them for is cleans, and with a speaker swap, they really aren't that bad. I've been looking out for a Princeton Chorus ever since I got to play one, though. Probably my favorite SS amp ever made.

Don't get me wrong, I like tube amps as well, but I must be one of the few who prefer SS amps for the most part.
^honestly, i like the marshall MG, it has a nice clean channel =)
SS amps are just different, not voiced like tube amps, and have to be appreciated for what they are.
A friend of my dad has a fender deluxe 900, and it's awesome, great clean, nice overdrive channel for a SS amp, great little amp!

I've played a lot of solid state amps, and honestly, I guess I got used to them, because I don't hate them that much, I'm going to get a roland jc-120 some day just for the hell of it, to have sterile cleans when I need them. When I won't need them, I'll always have the fender twin =)
i think solid state amps sound a little bit better on the clean channel at lower volumes, thats about it, crank it up and it gets muddy, and distort it and it sounds horrid
Quote by DominicIsCoolNo
i think solid state amps sound a little bit better on the clean channel at lower volumes, thats about it, crank it up and it gets muddy, and distort it and it sounds horrid
That's why most SS amps are of high wattage. So they do not clip.

I am one of those people who do prefer SS amps, but I still like tube amps also. Then again, I also play thrash and progressive metal, genres that IMO SS amps excel at.

If I was a classic rock/blues player, I would never use a SS amp.
fender's frontman series is cool. they have good clean sounds and a decent dirty channel. i, personally, would run an EQ in front of it. the amp's EQ doesn't do enough for the dirty channel, imho.
i was gonna say, someone better talk about the awesomeness that is old SS Ampegs.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Anyone using SS for carving a personal "trademark" sound?
Last edited by 7eptimo at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Darkflame
^dimebag darrel

really, the Only one i can think of as well.
until he was involved with what, a Krank series or something?
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by 7eptimo
Anyone using SS for carving a personal "trademark" sound?

B.B. King.

Edit: I think that Albert King did at some point too?
Last edited by MrFndr at May 31, 2010,
So, it's all a matter of knowing how to use them, not really a "gold/shit" issue.
Quote by 7eptimo
What Dime used before Krank? Randall?

His "sound" was little more than a 'modestly good' Randall SS amp.
just before his death he was collaborating with Krank on a signature series iirc, but he was never recorded using it.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Randall RG100es or something like that I believe, I'm pretty sure it was one of the older RG series amps

edit:
* Randall RG100es/RG100HT heads and cabinets

Glam-era (1981-1988) Cowboys From Hell (1990), The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)

* Randall Century-200 heads and cabinets

Vulgar Display Of Power (1992), Far Beyond Driven (1994), Reinventing The Steel (2000)

* Randall Warhead X2 heads and cabinets

New Found Power (2004)

* Modified Krank Revolution(prototype to the krankenstein) heads and cabinets

(late 2004)

* Dime used Celestion speakers and some times vintage Jaguar Speakers in his cabs, when he used krank, he used the Eminence Speakers Texas heat speakers in his cabs.
* Dime (when he received them) had huge stacks of Randall Warhead amps and cabs. He never recorded anything with them but he used them live for his clean tone.
Last edited by justinb904 at May 31, 2010,
^ holy crap i love your rainbow colored sig justin
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I have a Peavey Bandit, Ampeg SS-140C 212, and my bandmate has the Crate GX-130 head. Pretty kickass, the Ampeg is a bit brighter while the Bandit is a darker tone (comparing when played with my quite bright Ibanez, on the Ampeg I set the highs on 2!) 90s was the time for SS amps, for sure! Tight gain, and amazing clean channels.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."