I have this 50 watt bass amp and when i plug my guitar in i love the cleans and i use a distortion pedal on it as well. I love the tones it creates but i was wondering if that is safe for the amp, (the pedal is a line 6 uber metal). I use active pickups if that helps.
Yep, it'll be fine.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Guitar-> bass amp = ok
bass -> guitar amp = not ok
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
If you like guitars through bass amps, you have a very particular kind of taste in tone.

If you like basses through guitar amps, you have a very particular kind of hatred for guitar speakers.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Bass amps are pretty tough. Playing your guitar through it is fine. I play through a bass amp and I like it very much. It sounds better than my guitar amp, believe it or not. I play through a Hartke B120 which is a 120 watt, 2x12 combo amp. It's honestly my personal amp of choice after playing through quite a few amps. I couldn't beat it for what I paid for it. Sounds good clean and with any distortion/effects I throw at it.

There are quite a few others that play through Bass amps as well. As mentioned before, the Fender Bassman is probably the most popular.
quick question:

if it's not okay to play bass through a guitar amp, why is it okay to run an octave pedal 1 or 2 octaves lower through a guitar amp? what's the difference?
<3 u
this is kinda off topic, but why is it you can't plug a bass intp a guitar amp, but you can plug in an 8 string guitar. I played one in a store tuned a full step down( basically standard bass tuning with two extra highs) and it seemed just fine.
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
^^ Both good questions, and I am curious to find out now as well
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by shiz.zle
this is kinda off topic, but why is it you can't plug a bass intp a guitar amp, but you can plug in an 8 string guitar. I played one in a store tuned a full step down( basically standard bass tuning with two extra highs) and it seemed just fine.

Bass into guitar: The speakers are meant to handle frequencies in a certain range. The frequencies a bass uses are out of the range of a guitar amp's speakers, so it will blow them.

8 String: It's a guitar, so it has different frequencies, which are within the range of guitar amp speakers, then again, I could be wrong about that one.

EDIT: To OP: Yes, you can do it, just not the other way around
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 31, 2010,
I run a dual-amp setup with a low watt tube amp cranked for teh drivez and a bass amp for cleans. Brings teh toanz like whoa.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Quote by darkwolf291
Bass into guitar: The speakers are meant to handle frequencies in a certain range. The frequencies a bass uses are out of the range of a guitar amp's speakers, so it will blow them.

I've run Bass through an SS guitar amp before. Sure it's not ideal.. But it will do the job in a pinch. It doesn't equal automatic explosion.
Quote by darkwolf291

8 String: It's a guitar, so it has different frequencies, which are within the range of guitar amp speakers, then again, I could be wrong about that one.

EDIT: To OP: Yes, you can do it, just not the other way around

A drop tuned 8 string will be in the same range as a standard tuned bass. I'd personally recommend getting a bass cab for 8 strings and low tuned 7's. Otherwise you will slowly damage the speakers over time.

if you want to know the rough science of it
by Gumbilicious

ok i wrote this a while back for the next time i saw one of these threads.
did a bunch of research about this debate over months and this is the best explanations i can come up with.
also, 'damaging' is a strong and colored word for use in this debate, 'excessive wear' is more appropriate.
on the other hand the term 'catastrophic failure' captures exactly what can happen in the worst case scenarios.
anyway without further ado, my canned response:

truth is guitar speakers can vibrate low enough to produce bass notes; but a guitar speakers construction
and impedance ratings are made for guitar frequencies. what does this mean? how does it effect the guitar
speaker?

well dealing with construction, a guitar speaker is made to be very responsive. responsive meaning they are
more sensitive to the input signal's dynamics. this has the effect of making the signal sound 'bigger' so to
speak. so in order to make the speaker more sensitive and responsive they have to use lighter, thinner or
loose materials at crucial sections of the speaker(ilke connection points, the spider, etc) to get the
desired performance.

regarding impedance, a guitar speaker's excursion travel starts acting 'non-linearly' when attempting to
reproduce notes outside it's normal frequency range. what this means is the frequency of the note/input
signal directly impacts the resistance/impedance the speaker provides which effects the excursion
(the travel of the cone back and forth). this means that if you get too low from where a guitar speaker
is supposed to vibrate at, then the excursion becomes more pronounced and can exceed it's nominal operating
design constraints.

the results of the 2 factors of construction and impedance in action: the weaker parts of the speaker are
not designed to deal with the over excursion resulting from the non-linear impedance caused by the lower
frequency of the input signal. this over-stresses the speaker and can cause eventual (or instantaneous)
failure. no one can tell how long this takes to happen, but the lower the notes and the higher the volume
do directly correlate to a quicker failure of the speaker.

if you want a speaker that can hold up better, you will need one designed to work more linearly in the
low frequency range(low impedances do this well), that also has more stiff and reinforced parts.

that being said, i know people who have used guitar speakers in the bass rig for years and never had
problems, but it is not worth it imo. also imo, pitch shifters aren't usually operated in the low end for
the extended period of time to cause failure. i also think they attenuate the lower freq's a bit to help
make sure this is more a non-issue than an issue. but i am not totally sure on the pitch shifting thing.

one more point is hearing naturally attenuates low end freqs due to less hairs that are sensitive to low
frequencies. the result is more volume is needed to reproduce enough low end volume to sound as loud as the
guitar. this leads to one of the main reasons why guitar speakers break when used as bass speakers, and
that is they don't 'sound' loud enough so you push them to keep up which may lead to instant catastrophic
failure.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at May 31, 2010,
That's why i said I'm probably wrong
Quote by denied
I've run Bass through an SS guitar amp before. Sure it's not ideal.. But it will do the job in a pinch. It doesn't equal automatic explosion.

I never said it was automatic, it happens over time, but it doesn't take much time, it depends on the speakers tbh
Last edited by darkwolf291 at May 31, 2010,