i am looking to build a strat pickguard/electronics and i was wondering if someone could give me a list of all the parts in the strats electronics including caps and wired. i want to use a humbucker.

'67 Gibson SG Standard
MXR Phase 90 | Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9 | Vox V847A Wah-Wah
'65 Fender Bassman
pick ups
500k pot for vol
2x250k pots for tones
jack
3 strat knobs
5 way switch
0.050uf capacitor

i believe
would a humbucker work with a 250k pot or would it need 500?

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
Quote by AndrewDulina
would a humbucker work with a 250k pot or would it need 500?

it would work but whether or not youd like how it sounds it a different question i cant answer
Quote by MikeHYA
pick ups
500k pot for vol
2x250k pots for tones
jack
3 strat knobs
5 way switch
0.050uf capacitor

i believe

don't forget the soul (:
should i just make the volume control a 500k or the tone pots too?

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
i would say go for a 500k for all pots. it depends on whether you're trying to make a traditional sounding strat, or a bit hotter. you could even look into 1 meg pots. they give the guitar a more open and harsh sound. not saying it couldn't sound good clean, but it would be more suited to high gain stuff.

don't forget the small things like pickguard screws, humbucker height adjustment screws if it's a read route, pickguard screws if it's a top route, etc. having built 2 guitars now i find it's always the little things i forget. there's nothing worse than getting all your parts together and getting ready to assemble and finding out you have no way to mount a pickguard or something.

EDIT: and if you're just looking for a project guitar you can find bodies with pickups and electronics already installed. just search "loaded guitar body" or something along those lines. then you could play around with it as is, or replace pickups, or whatever. you'd need to get a neck, but it's usually cheaper to collect parts like that than to buy a whole new guitar. even cheaper than assembling from individual parts sometimes
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at May 31, 2010,
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i would say go for a 500k for all pots. it depends on whether you're trying to make a traditional sounding strat, or a bit hotter. you could even look into 1 meg pots. they give the guitar a more open and harsh sound. not saying it couldn't sound good clean, but it would be more suited to high gain stuff.

don't forget the small things like pickguard screws, humbucker height adjustment screws if it's a read route, pickguard screws if it's a top route, etc. having built 2 guitars now i find it's always the little things i forget. there's nothing worse than getting all your parts together and getting ready to assemble and finding out you have no way to mount a pickguard or something.

EDIT: and if you're just looking for a project guitar you can find bodies with pickups and electronics already installed. just search "loaded guitar body" or something along those lines. then you could play around with it as is, or replace pickups, or whatever. you'd need to get a neck, but it's usually cheaper to collect parts like that than to buy a whole new guitar. even cheaper than assembling from individual parts sometimes

Right now i am just using my one strat, but i want two pickguards. the SSS and i want to make an HSS

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
No cap if you're going with just a humbucker and volume pot. In that case I'd go with a 500k volume pot. If you're going to add tone control start out with a 250k tone pot and .022 or .047 cap depending which sound you're going for. The .047 will have a bit more bite.
how about a humbucker with a 1meg pot for volume with no tone?

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman
also, i know the one wire from the pickup would go to the volume, but where would i put the other wire if there is no selector switch/tone knobs?

'67 Gibson SG Standard
'65 Fender Bassman