Projection ftw

what if after a year or two, you realize that your band's just leeching off you and using you for your practice space, social ties (connections etc). basically you just feel that they're just sticking with you so that they get famous with all the hard work you've done, and just gain money off it.

also, its evident cause you start to realize that they just keep waiting for you to get the gigs, call the shots, etc. when you cut all ties (i did once, cause i got pissed), there was not a bit of progress till i came back in. I know that sounds quite arrogant but it's not.

the "why i shouldnt" part here is that the songs we make are definitely great, and we're definitely headed somewhere now. Do i go on and bring this to a higher level while people are benefitting off it (in a conceited way, "while theyre leeching off your glory), or should i just leave and start my own project?

ps. if ever you do leave, can you still play the songs your old band used to play? definitely wont totally credit it to myself (cause thats just mean) but yeah you get the point

so, if you were in that situation, would you leave the band, or put up with their crap?
well it sounds like your the band leader maybe its not that they wont but they cant or dont know how
if they are doing their part in the songwriting and playing maybe this is something you should talk about with the band
I'm dealing with the same thing...

I don't have any answers for you though.
I don't get why they aren't more motivated to help.

They seriously just want fame and glory, from my(or your, in your case) hard work.
Yeah I know what you mean, I never wrote the songs but my band used MY guitars, MY amps, MY cables, MY mic and MY basement so yeah

I left and the band actually fell apart really badly, it was kinda funny and I still play the one song we had(that's another reason I left, 5 months and 1 1/2 songs done) but if yours is actually going somewhere I wouldn't cuz I still regret leaving mine, so really only you can decide.

My opinion talk to them
Quote by JohnnySoul
Projection ftw

what if after a year or two, you realize that your band's just leeching off you and using you for your practice space, social ties (connections etc). basically you just feel that they're just sticking with you so that they get famous with all the hard work you've done, and just gain money off it.

I'd leave 'em if they were TRULY like that. I wouldn't take that shit from anyone.

ps. if ever you do leave, can you still play the songs your old band used to play? definitely wont totally credit it to myself (cause thats just mean) but yeah you get the point

Do what I've done: Re-write their parts just subtly enough so that you can claim they are your own original parts. This works especially well if you were the catalyst behind the songs (like I was for almost all of my last band's tunes), because you can always claim your new bass lines, drum parts, vocal melodies or whatever are "what you would have originally intended over those guitar parts had they not been a part of the songwriting process".

I've had a bitchy keyboardist come back after me for a long time about a song I wrote a long time ago, and decided to play without him. The only change I made to the tune was structured it properly, and removed his keyboard melody altogether. Everything in the song is my work now. His complaints have absolutely zero ground.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Well, why be in a band with a bunch of people that you don't like anyway? I couldn't imagine being in a band with anybody other than close friends.
Originally posted by zomgguitarz1234

What if I got something to shoot ashes up into the air like snow? (sounds pretty cool, I think they did this at concentration camps though )
Quote by JohnnySoul
your band's just leeching off you and using you for your practice space, social ties (connections etc). basically you just feel that they're just sticking with you so that they get famous with all the hard work you've done, and just gain money off it.
They do nothing at all? You're the only one who does anything?

If true, dump them
If false, stop talking trash about them.

Quote by JohnnySoul
also, its evident cause you start to realize that they just keep waiting for you to get the gigs, call the shots, etc.
Learn to delegate authority and teach them to take on some of the responsibility.

Quote by JohnnySoul
the "why i shouldnt" part here is that the songs we make are definitely great, and we're definitely headed somewhere now. Do i go on and bring this to a higher level while people are benefitting off it (in a conceited way, "while theyre leeching off your glory), or should i just leave and start my own project?
You sound like you're full of yourself. If you're really the only one contributing, gtfo and do your own thing. If not, start to recognize the contributions of the other members of your band.

Quote by JohnnySoul
did you write the music and the lyrics?

If yes, they're your songs. Of course you can still play them.

If no, you can't.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by dpalese
Well, why be in a band with a bunch of people that you don't like anyway? I couldn't imagine being in a band with anybody other than close friends.

Lets just say you thought they were your friends and it turns out that you hear from other people what they've been doing. Why be in a band with people you dont like? Cause you only found out that theyre not the right people recently.

And Someoneyouknew, I'm not talking trash about them. Its sadly true.
and to your other points
- Thats what I did, and they did nothing. and nothing happened. It always ended up with me calling the shots again. I did not force it to go my way, we fell stagnant months back because some of my bandmates didnt really do effort on anything, leaving me to start on things again.
- Thats why i was hesitant to post this. It would really sound so arrogant and narcissistic but anyway i explain it itd come off like that. I dont really care about what you think of me, but i do thank you for posting what you think of the situation. I took note of things

and everyone else, thanks for helping me out. I know that it all comes down to me and your posts helped me look at it in different pov's. Will definitely talk but i kind of see that its the end for this band sooner or later.

ps. unknown biskit and trentaru i totally know how you feel. woot
I think you're just discovering something now Johnny, and that is most people are lazy. They need/want to be told what to do. They don't want to take initiative to make changes, they would rather leave the hard work to anyone else.

And then you have the minority of the population, who are recognised as leaders. Without these people, nothing would be achieved.

So you are a leader, with a group of followers. Whilst the others in your group aren't doing organising, they appear to be following your lead, and good results are occurring. This isn't a bad situation. Whilst a leader may get tired sometimes of others "leeching", on the other hand, results simply would not occur without the leader's actions. Unfortunately if you are a leader, and you try to entrust a "follower" with responsibility, it will either not occur, or won't happen the way you want it to happen. It may be a half-assed job, it may leave you in a worse position than before.

This isn't just about bands, it's about everything you do. Right now you're in the position of a leader, just recognise your power in this position.

Oh, also start a new band on the side playing the songs which you wrote
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
They do nothing at all? You're the only one who does anything?

If true, dump them
If false, stop talking trash about them.

Learn to delegate authority and teach them to take on some of the responsibility.

You sound like you're full of yourself. If you're really the only one contributing, gtfo and do your own thing. If not, start to recognize the contributions of the other members of your band.

did you write the music and the lyrics?

If yes, they're your songs. Of course you can still play them.

If no, you can't

I know you're very knowledgeable, but why do I think that I've read differently in the "copyright" thread? I'll re-read it...
Being used...or Being leader. Its your call. Sounds to me like they look to you as leader.
But its your call.....they could be using you but you never know.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Last edited by King of King V at Jun 4, 2010,
Personally, I do almost all organizational stuff for my band and I'm quite alright with it. I like things done a certain way and I feel most confident when I do it. It really doesn't bother me, but if it's irksome for you perhaps you should start dispersing responsibilities.
Quote by Uber Man
ozzy still plays sabbath songs, so that answers one of your questions.

I bet he pays some royalties to Iommi and such too?? Just a thought. I dont really know. I'll gtfo. lol
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"