Alright, I want to start recording. I have talked to a few people about it and have gathered some basic info. All I know is that the SM57 is the go to budget mic. If I have that, what else do I need ? An interface? Anything else? I don't want to spend too much on it all together. Any suggestions? Cheap, but quality
Quote by mexican_shred
do you have an interface?

nope.....you mean like a presonus firepod etc?
i would suggest one more mic, maybe an AKG or the SM58 for more dark low end to even out the crisp-ish 57, plus two mics has a LOT more recording possibilities than just one.

an interface of some kind would definitely be the best step, find something like:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireBox-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133
the FireBox is pretty much the go-to budget interface. look around at your own options, but something like that or a decent usb/firewire mixer is ideal.
after that download Audacity or some similar program, and if you need something more powerful than Audacity then look into Cubase or Sonar, etc.

'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Yea something like that. an interface will act as a external soundcard replacement so the audio can be processed into your comp. Depending on your budget here are tons of them out there. SM57 is a good choice for micing guitars and other loud instruments.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by boardsofcanada
i would suggest one more mic, maybe an AKG or the SM58 for more dark low end to even out the crisp-ish 57, plus two mics has a LOT more recording possibilities than just one.

an interface of some kind would definitely be the best step, find something like:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireBox-24bit96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System?sku=184133
the FireBox is pretty much the go-to budget interface. look around at your own options, but something like that or a decent usb/firewire mixer is ideal.
after that download Audacity or some similar program, and if you need something more powerful than Audacity then look into Cubase or Sonar, etc.

That looks nice and the price is reasonable. I'll look into different mics, I heard the Sennheiser e609 is decent.

So I mic the cab, that goes into the interface and then that goes into my computer correct into Reaper (what I have).
Quote by thrasher.
That looks nice and the price is reasonable. I'll look into different mics, I heard the Sennheiser e609 is decent.

So I mic the cab, that goes into the interface and then that goes into my computer correct into Reaper (what I have).

yep.
Reaper is another good and common choice, sounds like a deal.

edit: yeah not meaning specifically to get the 58 or an AKG, but something with a darker response mixed in with a 57 = the most versitile micing setup for that cheap.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Last edited by boardsofcanada at May 31, 2010,
Would it be worth it to get some headphones and monitors to go along with all of it? Like I said, I don't need the best, it just needs to be adequate.
Correct.

As for the 609, its a love hate for some people. Some people love them and use them insetad of the Sm57. Some people think they are better off with a 57. I fall into the latter, but its all preference. They are both great mics. the Sm57 can be found cheaper, however buyer beware since some of the ones for sale are fakes.
Quote by thrasher.
Would it be worth it to get some headphones and monitors to go along with all of it? Like I said, I don't need the best, it just needs to be adequate.

Good pair of monitors will cost about 300 new if you want to mix decently for a project studio and get an unbiased sound. 150ish used.

HEadphones, i've never liked to mix with, since they color your tone. However to play along with and track while you record they are great,
Alright, sounds good. I guess I'll get two mics, a decent interface and maybe some monitors. I need headphones anyways and have some Shure that I listen to music through that I think will do.
Quote by thrasher.
Alright, sounds good. I guess I'll get two mics, a decent interface and maybe some monitors. I need headphones anyways and have some Shure that I listen to music through that I think will do.

What does your budget look like for all that?

And any specific things you are wanting to record than just electric guitar?
Quote by mexican_shred
What does your budget look like for all that?

And any specific things you are wanting to record than just electric guitar?

Maybe acoustic guitar, but no drums or bass or anything. My friend has all this stuff but he is moving away so I need to get some of it. I was thinking like $400 or $500 AT most. I imagine if I bought everything used I could get under that. I'd really like to pay like $350 but I don't see that happening.
Alright if you are wanting to record Acoustic Guitar that changes the game a small bit. For the second mic you might want to consider picking up a Condenser Mic since they are alot more sensitive to higher frequencies. For budget, MXL works. Its not my first choice, but i've heard people get decent results from them. My first choice would be a Sterling Audio ST-55 or ST-79. However those sell typically for 200-300 bucks. You can get lucky and find a ST-79 for about 150 or even 120(Cough cough MCLAW).

As for the Sm57 those can be found generally for 40( low price used) to 100(new). Average price floats around 60-80 used. however like i said many fakes and copies are pushed as 57's when buying used so you have to be carefully and physically examine it(so this means Clist )

Headphones, if you arent using them to mix your shure should work fine

Interface-I've liked the M-Audio and Presonus gear. The Fast track from m audio is a great little tool. Firepods are great too if you can get them used. Tone Ports from Line 6 are great since they come with podfarm but their pre amps models for mics are less than desirable. And with you having your Diezel i dunno if you'd want Pod Farm

Monitors: Heres the tricky part. Like i said a good pair cost some money used if you are using them to mix or get a good unbiased sound from them. However KRk Rokit 6's can be found for 150 on ebay all the time. Derek got his from there for about that price. someitmes you can find for cheaper
Thanks for the help again man. I'll take a look into everything. I think I don't want the e609 after listening to it. At first, I may just get an interface and a SM57. I am hoping it isn't critical to have the monitors and other mics right away, but if I do become interested I'll buy another. As far as editing what you actually come up sound wise, is there usually much tweaking involved or is it usually just upload and done?
I didnt have monitors until last month so lol no. As long as you aren't mixing for a studio, monitors arent the big thing you want at the momment. if all you want is to record and show clips an interface and sm57 is the basic you need

Editing Wise, getting the good tone out of the amp is first and foremost. If you cant get a good tone, no amount of post editing will get it sounding good. Next up comes how to mic the guitar. A good placement makes it easy to tweak in post production. Shure had a nice little guide to use as a small reference. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4291735/shure%20micing.pdf Ryan(Catharsis Studio) , the tone testing thread, and the guys in R&R can you help you as well with this. After that you might want to tweak around in reaper with the post production EQ, and add some effects.
Let me suggest you the route I went.

I bout 2 mics I got a CAD GXL 2400 & 1200 from ZZ sounds together for 100 dollars. Of course I needed something with Phantom Power so I bought an M audio audiobuddy used for like 40 bucks or so.

Then I installed a M audio 2496 audiophile (100 bucks I think) and wham now I'm recording.

I still have a mixer I havent put to use yet but that should increase my standards a bit more.

Sure I don't get pro sound out of a 250 dollar setup but It aint bad. (recordings in profile if you want)
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
I think I'll be going the cheaper route first to just make sure I like it and don't pour a load of cash into it. Thanks again to everyone.
if you plan to record any vocals you'll need a condensor mic through sm57 they sound pretty terrible