Page 1 of 4
This idea has been tried before... more than once. But I have an idea to make it better...

The reason a lot of the others failed is because no one could come up with a story. We're musicians; not writers. But, after listening to this song I got a hunch on how to do this properly.

My idea: take an already made video game storyline, but change the soundtrack. Something everyone knows (or at least some people) like Halo or Fallout or Final Fantasy. Like, as the person in the video says, what would you write had you just seen the script? If YOU were the person writing, what would you write?

I'm hoping to get my computer back and to install Sibelius back onto it so I can join anyone that wants to do this... but I'd be ok with managing, given that it's needed.

For right now, we could just name some games we'd like to do and then hold a vote in another topic or whatnot, and then afterwards we could begin assigning people to certain parts of the game (town theme, normal boss, field battle 1, intro, gunfight, etc.).

Games:
- Halo (Combat Evolved - ODST)
- Tales of the Abyss
- Tales of Symphonia
- Assassins Creed II
- Star Ocean (3 or 4)
- Final Fantasy (many of them haha)
- Resident Evil 1-4
- Tomb Raider 1
- Pokemon (all)
- Kingdom Hearts I/II
- Chrono Trigger
- Metal Gear Solid
- Sonic the Hedgehog (old school)
- Romance of The Three Kingdoms
- The Legend of Zelda (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess)
- Conflict: Global Terror
- DragonAge

Composers:
- DiminishedFifth
- AeolianWolf
- griffRG7321
- canvasDude
- timeconsumer09
- zhilla
- lbc_sublime
- mdwallin
- WishfulShredder
- night warrior

EDIT as of May 31, 2010 @ 8:56 PM: I might stop adding video games soon. We're getting quite a lot, but, again, keep adding some ideas! The more the merrier!

EDIT as of June 2, 2010 @ 9:35 AM: I'm closing the floor to adding entries to possible games and I'm going to begin compiling a list of people that want to join underneath.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jun 6, 2010,
most of the games i like i probably couldn't have written anything better. i love nobuo uematsu and in the old ff's especially his music made the game. i can't top one winged angel or the crystal theme.

i have always thought a video game soundtrack would be fun to do, that'd be an awesome line of work i think.
Quote by z4twenny
most of the games i like i probably couldn't have written anything better. i love nobuo uematsu and in the old ff's especially his music made the game. i can't top one winged angel or the crystal theme.

i have always thought a video game soundtrack would be fun to do, that'd be an awesome line of work i think.

That's what I'm going for :] One of the reasons I want to do this is for practice.

Nobuo is an amazing composer... and so is Motoi Sakuraba (the Tales of..., Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean games), but I still think we could do it! We just have to erase, in our minds, what we THINK is there and put something there ourselves!
oh, man, this sounds really interesting. i'm going to keep my eye on this for sure.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
oh, man, this sounds really interesting. i'm going to keep my eye on this for sure.

Have any games to contribute man?

Quote by WishfulShredder
this is a good idea...Id be in on it if the music was compiled against gameplay footage/cutscenes

Know anybody that could do that? I dunno how :/
tales of symphonia...good choice.

suggestions:

chrono trigger
metal gear solid
sonic the hedgehog (old school)
romance of the three kingdoms series (can't say i blame you if you've never played it, but the soundtracks were amazing)
zelda - ocarina of time

i'd suggest more, but really, things could begin to get all kinds of esoteric in here.
So you're just trying to change the soundtracks of games? I guess I could suggest something.

Conflict: Global Terror

I could see it more of a template. I'm pretty sure there is NO music during gameplay. This could be a chance to see what it's like with music, since the storyline's there, but the soundtrack isn't.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by 666WildChild666
Doing a Zelda soundtrack would be cool, I'd be into that.

I, actually, think that doing a Legend of Zelda soundtrack would be GREAT. Since it's probably the game that I know the stories of the best and could write to match it.

Quote by guitarmaniac88
So you're just trying to change the soundtracks of games? I guess I could suggest something.

Conflict: Global Terror

I could see it more of a template. I'm pretty sure there is NO music during gameplay. This could be a chance to see what it's like with music, since the storyline's there, but the soundtrack isn't.

I've only heard of the game... what's it like? Is the storyline good and would it be good to write for?

Added by the way.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

I've only heard of the game... what's it like? Is the storyline good and would it be good to write for?

Added by the way.

It's a fun game, especially if you like military type games. Basically, you're a special ops team going on almost random missions, the storyline kind of changes every few missions, but stills stays somewhat related. You start off stopping a drug operation in Columbia, on the way you find this deadly gas that can only be synthesized in the Ukraine. You find the guy in charge of making it, and capture him for questioning, but they let him go and you eventually have to kill him, and stop the missile he launched towards Pakistan.

There are random parts in the game, though. At one point after your first sniper dies, you're protecting a senator who was almost killed, then rescuing his daughter that was kidnapped. The only way I could think that's fits in is that you find more of the gas during the second mission, but it's still a little random.

You can try to work with it if you like, if you think it's a lost cause, that's ok, it was just a suggestion. I could really only see music fitting in with different areas, such as in the desert, the city, snowy mountains, and stuff, not neccessarily during 'fights'. The only music in the game is during the main menu and cutscenes, so adding music for levels (kind of like Mario) seems the best idea for it.

Thanks for at least giving it a chance, it would be nice to hear some of the games own music.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by griffRG7321
Will we be writing this music to go along to actual game footage?

I've thought about this for awhile now... and think it would be an AWESOME idea to do for cutscenes and the like. But it'd be a little more challenging to do in-game stuff.

Like, taking Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for example, the cutscene where we see Ganon for the first time riding on his horse with Zelda with him and he knocks down Link would be GREAT for doing this to. But if we were to try and do it with the Hyrule Plains Theme it'd be just a wee bit harder.

I would love to do this though... have to write something to get the timing down perfectly (Tales of Symphony intro scene FTW?).
I don't mean to double post, but I'm still accepting games. Preferably one with a good storyline and a myriad of places to visit and things to do.

Who all would be interested in composing for the game if we did actually get this started?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I don't mean to double post, but I'm still accepting games. Preferably one with a good storyline and a myriad of places to visit and things to do.

Who all would be interested in composing for the game if we did actually get this started?

i'm down, unquestionably.
DragonAge would be really cool.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by griffRG7321
Have we decided on a game? I'd like to do something scary like resident evil.

We haven't decided yet, but I did just close the floor to adding games. Now I just need to get a list of composers willing to work on one (or two if we like!). I added you, assuming you would be interested.

What my plan is is after I get enough people that want to join I make a group and we vote to decide on the game(s) we want to do. If we decide one that has multiples/sequels (like RE or LoZ) then we vote on which one.

But, if that fails or people don't want to go through that much trouble, there's always internet randomizers!
I would definitely be interested in working on this. You can count me in. Btw, if we don't have ample recording setups, is it alright if we use software (such as FL Studio)? Also, does it have to be in 12 TET? I was thinking about doing a piece in 19TET if that's alright.
Quote by canvasDude
I would definitely be interested in working on this. You can count me in. Btw, if we don't have ample recording setups, is it alright if we use software (such as FL Studio)? Also, does it have to be in 12 TET? I was thinking about doing a piece in 19TET if that's alright.

I couldn't care if it was ABC-TET as long as the song fits the assigned/chosen part ;]

As long as it's not Guitar Pro MIDI/RSE. Though I have heard some good GP6 MP3's, I'm still a bit iffy. I'm going to be using Sibelius, and I know FL Studio has great VST's so that's fine.
Sounds fun - but you'll have to tell me the story if its anything but final fantasy
can we use guitar or does it have to be old school music.

also can we try a story for fun.. >.>

i' will try to come up with something for your game. what are the dead lines???
song stuck in my head today

Quote by DiminishedFifth
I couldn't care if it was ABC-TET as long as the song fits the assigned/chosen part ;]

As long as it's not Guitar Pro MIDI/RSE. Though I have heard some good GP6 MP3's, I'm still a bit iffy. I'm going to be using Sibelius, and I know FL Studio has great VST's so that's fine.

Cool, then I'm in. I'm eager to give this pipa VST a go. However, I don't believe there is a way to write in 19TET in FL Studio. Thus, I will be relegated to conventional tunings (until I build my microtonal guitar, muwahhahaha).
Quote by lbc_sublime
can we use guitar or does it have to be old school music.

also can we try a story for fun.. >.>

i' will try to come up with something for your game. what are the dead lines???

I'd be fine with a story if we can get a good one. I think it'd be interesting to do one for a fake game and one for a real... but that's just me!

And it can be anything you think will fit the area/whatever it is you're writing for. Just make sure it's not MIDI or something like that.

Quote by timeconsumer09
I'm in if you want to add me to the list. So what game are we doing?

Haven't figured it out yet. I'll add you, lbc and zhilla to the list.

Quote by zhilla
Sounds fun - but you'll have to tell me the story if its anything but final fantasy

I'm fine with that.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Jun 2, 2010,
We still need at least two or three more composers willing to do this!

And to clear something up that came up in another topic about this... if we pick a game you have NOT played through, you DON'T need to go out and buy it and play it. That'd be silly. Just do a little research on it/whatever part of it you're going to be composing for so you have an idea of what mood you're going to be trying to convey or what mood the area has or anything that you'll need to know before composing.
So when will the game we're writing for be announced? I got a little preemptive and wrote about half of a boss/dungeon theme (in the spirit of LoZ, FF, etc.).
Quote by canvasDude
So when will the game we're writing for be announced? I got a little preemptive and wrote about half of a boss/dungeon theme (in the spirit of LoZ, FF, etc.).

Haha soon.

I'm trying to get more people to join before I go on and decide the game.

Once I close this thread up (or at least get enough composers everyone isn't swamped and whatnot) I'm gonna go ahead and make a group for this where we can talk and exchange everything we need for quick information (like MSN, Skype, whatever IM you use) and I'm going to hold a vote on what game we choose (Though, from the sounds of it we're going to have an RPG on our hands).

If you know anybody that composes, please, get them involved. I want as many people as I can in this!
Also, I have a question. I'm not going to be able to compose with Finale/Sibelius, as I don't have a copy installed on this computer. I can, however, write it all in MIDI and send it to you (or someone else with Finale/Sibelius), and they can just convert it for me. You know, so it doesn't have that nasty MIDI sound. Will this be a problem?
Quote by timeconsumer09
Also, I have a question. I'm not going to be able to compose with Finale/Sibelius, as I don't have a copy installed on this computer. I can, however, write it all in MIDI and send it to you (or someone else with Finale/Sibelius), and they can just convert it for me. You know, so it doesn't have that nasty MIDI sound. Will this be a problem?

This won't be a problem at all. As long as it's not just straight MIDI.

Quote by WishfulShredder
I'll join , but I have exams at the moment so it might be in a week or two

Added you to the list. Get anyone you know that composes (preferably good) to join. The more people we get, the less work (if that's a good thing for you!) individuals have to do.
Page 1 of 4