I'm talking in terms of my DAW (which is ProTools), what are the effects returns and how do I use them?

When I apply and effect like reverb, or chorus, to a track I use an aux track and run the track through it.

Thanks in advance
You'll want to use these for Reverb, chorus, and delay commonly as these effects directly added to a track will weaken the signal strength dramatically.

We will use Reverb for and example:

1.) first create and aux. track and name it Reverb
2.) Set the aux. track input to the reverb bus
3.) Apply your reverb to this aux. track as an insert with AIR Reverb or whatever your using.
4.) Make a send on the track you wish to apply the reverb to and set it to the reverb bus.
5.) Adjust the send volume and aux track volume to get your desired amount or volume or the reverb you using.

Pretty simple really, just gotta get in the habit of it.
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
Yep no problem, anymore questions just ask. Happy to help, im still pretty new to Pro Tools myself, was really confused figuring that all out when I first started using it too lol
My Music
another thing to do is make your reverb track 100% wet. this means that you dont have any of the original signal on that track. makes it easier to control things overall, and i think it ends up sounding better.
Okay in order to make the track 100 percent wet what do I do?

I understand the concept, but I don't know how to do this
just turn the mix knob on your reverb plugin to 100% wet. shouldnt be hard. dont know what plugin you are using, so the knob might be labeled something else.
Quote by jof1029
just turn the mix knob on your reverb plugin to 100% wet. shouldnt be hard. dont know what plugin you are using, so the knob might be labeled something else.

Oh okay I found it.

I don't know how familiar you are w/ Protools, but what is the slider that pops up when I click on the sends? What does this control?

EDIT: I think it controls how much of the desired effect is sent into the original signal.
Last edited by whatadrag at May 31, 2010,
Yes.

That slider is the send level. Basicly its the way of controlling the desired amount of effect for each track while the slider on the Aux track affects the level applied to all the tracks routed to that particular return.
My Music
Ah, freakin sweet. I know what I'm doing now! Thanks so much for the help!
Yep no problem dude, glad I could help ya out. Any more questions just ask ill answer to the best of my knowledge.
My Music