My family and I were at Seattle's annual Folk Life Festival today. My youngest boy brought along his electric guitar and my red Roland MicroCube. He did covers of Nirvana unplugged tunes and some Wipers and Meat Puppets covers. He's only 11 and this was his first time busking.

It was raining hard, and we got soaked within 5 minutes, but he had a big crowd cheering him on and singing along to About a Girl, Polly, Lithium, Sappy and Lake of Fire. He made $28 in a little over 35 or 40 minutes.

Then the big bad security person came by and told us we couldn't perform 'amplified'! WTF? We had a 0.5 watt battery operated MicroCube. Whatever. We powered down and that was that. We'll try again this summer with Bumbershoot. We hope they'll be more accomodating. BASTAGES!
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Cool blog is cool... bro.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Dang that sucks. Darn security. >

I would've gone to support all performers, but couldn't because of the rain. D:
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Quote by EvilDomo
Dang that sucks. Darn security. >

I would've gone to support all performers, but couldn't because of the rain. D:

Yeah, the rain was pretty bad, at least when he was jamming. We had some protection under the trees, but after 30 minutes his guitar and the MicroCube were soaked. I think he was actually relieved when security "pulled the plug".

I can understand their desire to keep buskers from having a volume war, but without *some* kind of amplification, there's no way an electric guitar can be heard above the background din, let alone the banging of congas or kettle drums. They should allow allow enough amplification so that an electric is about as loud as a bright acoustic guitar with new strings.

Just one man's opinion.
Quote by JayT44
Cool blog is cool... bro.

Dude, if you think the OP was "blog-length", then you've obviously been spending way too much time on Twitter.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Dude, if you think the OP was "blog-length", then you've obviously been spending way too much time on Twitter.

It wasn't the length, it's the fact that the OP had no question or inquiring intent.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
It wasn't the length, it's the fact that the OP had no question or inquiring intent.

This.

Oh and you were at a FOLK festival. Did you ever hear the story about Dylan when he performed at a folk festival with electric instruments? He got called a traitor for bringing in the impurities of electric instruments to the world of folk music.
Quote by wizards?

Oh and you were at a FOLK festival. Did you ever hear the story about Dylan when he performed at a folk festival with electric instruments? He got called a traitor for bringing in the impurities of electric instruments to the world of folk music.

+1

You were doomed from the start.
OP, your profile says you're 11 years old. Are you sure you aren't talking about yourself in this? Also, you have to be thirteen to use these forums. I hate to be the one to do this to you but...

[reported]Armchair Bronco[/reported]

Quote by guitarsftw

Now hold on a minute. I read the preamble to "The Pit". It states:

"The forum for general discussion of topics that don't fit into the other forums."

It's a general discussion topic about guitars and amps and busking and the Seattle Center and the Folk Life Festival.

And it's also a topic about "The Man" and how "The Man" stepped in and literally unplugged my son.

Now, I didn't see *anything* in the preamble about having to play Jeapordy and phrase things in the form of a question. But if that is the intent here, then I suppose I could have said: "Do you guys agree with The Man on this one?"

How's that?
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at May 31, 2010,
Quote by wizards?
This.

Pete Seeger himself tried to unplug Dylan, even though Seeger was one of the guys hyping Dylan in the beginning.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Wait you are 11 but yet you have a son.

TS you have to be 13 to use the forums bud, or at least post your real birthdate.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
That sucks dude, give props to your kid for me, sounds like he'll be a great guitar player when he get's older, if he's not already extremely talented now.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Goddamn! TS is 11 and already has a son? Mother****er is getting more than I do.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?