Hi guys I just wanted some quick input. I'm looking int o getting an overdrive this week that will be played with a semi-hollow guitar (Epi Dot) and a lap steel guitar the majority of the time. I play into a Mesa F-30 and was just looking for a pedal that could add a nice OD to my sound, and as a good base too add a Big Muff over when I want things to get really dirty.
I'm trying to keep it cheap so I'm either going to buy a Boss Blues Driver on Kijiji for 70 bucks with a power supply included, or an Ibanez TS-9 online for about 120. My question is basically this: is the TS9 worth the extra 50 bucks? If so why? Tone wise will I be able to hear much of a difference?
Thanks.

EDIT: I play blues/folk/rock/alt/alt-country I suppose.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at May 31, 2010,
Why would you buy a TS-9 for $120 when it costs $99? And I definitely would recommend the TS-9, though I don't know why you would need more gain than what your F-30 has already.
Quote by phlip999
Why would you buy a TS-9 for $120 when it costs $99? And I definitely would recommend the TS-9, though I don't know why you would need more gain than what your F-30 has already.

The F-30 is too much gain of the wrong kind for what I play, I use the clean channel because it is actually has really great cleans.
And it costs 120 on Amazon which is where I would buy it because even though its 99 on guitarcenter and musiciansfriend they don't ship to Canada... So yeah.
Last edited by tona_107 at May 31, 2010,
Ah, I would still pick the TS-9. It just sounds a lot grittier than the Blues Driver, but it can get really smooth, too. Great all around pedal and one of the few "must have" pieces of equipment.
the BD when i tried it sounded grittier than my tubescreamer.
im currently running a muff as well and the tubescreamer as well as a hollowbody and they all work pretty well together, but i would think a BD would be pretty good just because it Can get grittier. the tubescreamer will smoother at its highest gain and the bd will start smooth-ish and get grittier from there. i think the BD is actually more versitile.
for 70 bucks CAD including the wall wart i would say go for the BD, and if it isnt smooth enough then go for a tubescreamer or something.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
i was disappointed with the bd-2 when i tried it, though it was on the overdrive channel of a fender hot rod deluxe, which might explain it all
however, i've been disappointed with the ts9 also. Maybe get the ts9 and mod it to the ts808 specs? it's like 2 resistors away..
The bd-2 seems to be a bit thin, harsh, and trebly compared to the ts9 but I'm probably going to get it anyways because it's like half the price. I don't know though.
I have a BD-2 I'll sell you for $50 unless you urgently need it.

I live in Kingston but I'll be visiting my parents in London the weekend of June 19 so you could try it out. PM me if you're interested.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Get a tubescreamer. The bd isn't that good unmodded. the keeley-modded bd is amazing, but is probably not the tone you're after.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I have a BD-2 I'll sell you for $50 unless you urgently need it.

I live in Kingston but I'll be visiting my parents in London the weekend of June 19 so you could try it out. PM me if you're interested.

Hey I appreciate the reply and no I don't think I urgently need it. I think that timing is actually good because after some comments on here I might just sit down with my amp for a couple nights and try to get a distortion out of it that I can use rather than getting two pedals. I'm assuming I won't succeed but I'll PM you my gmail and we will get in touch later in the month?
Emailed.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.