Alright first, could I get some suggestions on which mic pre-amp I should look into buying?

And second, What about soundcards?

That's pretty much it, I'm just looking for help.

Thanks.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Alright first, could I get some suggestions on which mic pre-amp I should look into buying?

Thanks.

Well Chad.......

What kind of mic do you have?
What do you record?
Whats your current setup?
Why not just get an interface with good preamps in it?
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
I've been doing my homework on the pci cards RME-Hammerfall is hands down the best (there are a few other comparable brands) but they are expensive. M-audio makes some decently priced card but make sure they have the features you need first. A cheap m-audio sound card and a cheap mixer with good mic preamps built in can be had at minimum cost and still deliver good results with 0 latency problems unlike the firewire and usb stuff.
Last edited by Johnikker at May 31, 2010,
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar

Thanks.

Alright, let me straighten a few things up.

First, Preamps. Don't waste your money unless you're getting something that costs $500+. You wont notice a difference between no preamp and a $30 ART Tube Preamp.

Second, why do you need a sound card? Are you looking to record a microphone or something? I think what you probably are looking for is an audio interface unless I'm mistaken
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Alright, let me straighten a few things up.

First, Preamps. Don't waste your money unless you're getting something that costs $500+. You wont notice a difference between no preamp and a $30 ART Tube Preamp.

Second, why do you need a sound card? Are you looking to record a microphone or something? I think what you probably are looking for is an audio interface unless I'm mistaken

I need a soundcard because I'm building a custom computer along with getting this equipment, and since I'm recording to a computer I thought a good soundcard was important
Not really. If you're going to be using an interface, you don't need a soundcard.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp