Poll: What do you think?
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you think?
Yeah, they can be considered a cartoon
2 9%
No, they aren't cartoons
21 91%
Voters: 23.
Since cartoons don't need to look hand-drawn with lines and shit nowadays (ex. Toy Story, The Incredibles, Wall-E, etc.), I thought of this.

Spike had a marathon of all 6 Star Wars movies (Yeah, the originals were better than the prequels. Yada yada yada), and I tuned in for most of the times I went to the living room, whether from boredom, sitting down to eat, using a laptop, etc.

So as I watched the prequels, George Lucas went totally apeshit with CGI. Virtually all the scenery is CGI, so are half the characters, Yoda, R2D2, etc.

Even the real life characters look like they were done with computers in half the scenes. Or they were airbrushed to hell and back or something. I'd say the movies were 95-98% computer-generated imagery.

Now take the movie Wall-E. Pretty hard to deny that it's a cartoon, despite a few scenes where it does feature non-CGI characters (Fred Willard has a couple appearances on a TV in the movie). I think if Wall-E can be considered a cartoon, so can the Star Wars prequels.

What do you guys think?

And also, I think the originals actually look better than the prequels because it was actually real. They actually got people to make a goddamn hallway or room for the originals rather than have the actors sit in a green stage for the whole movie.
I wouldn't consider them animated films, no. But I did watch Empire Strikes Back for the first time in like a decade. It was great.
No, because many of the key characters are portrayed by actual actors.

Plus there is a difference between CGI meant to look real, and CGI in something like Wall-E.
Quote by Holy Katana
I wouldn't consider them animated films, no. But I did watch Empire Strikes Back for the first time in like a decade. It was great.
I should watch that. Of all Star Wars movies, that's the one I haven't seen in the longest. Star Wars movies go in order of my least favorite to favorite. Episode I, least favorite, and they progress and Episode VI is my favorite. Despite V being everyone else's fav.
Quote by whalepudding
No because the CGI isn't in a cartoon style

Exactly. It's there to enhance the live action of the characters.
I don't consider them to be part of the Star Wars Series since they are so bad, they make Attack of the Clones look really good
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
It wasn't a cartoon by any means, but you're completely right by how overly-animated it really was. It was a relief watching the 4th 5th and 6th films, because the first 3 are just so.. I don't know, visually fake. I can't describe it well in words.

Like yeah, in the old films, it all looks pretty darn fake. Plastic and whatnot, costumes, and stuff...

But at least it's like a physical real thing, and it's there.. I'm explaining this terribly already.

With the first 3 movies, everything looks computer fake. And that to me makes it look bad. I much prefer the "Fake" stuff from old movies to "Fake CGI" of movies of today.
I actually liked Episode 3 (Revenge of the Sith) a lot better than Episode 6 (Return of the Jedi), but other than that, I do prefer the originals more than the prequals (Empire Strikes Back is by far the best IMO, I know that is pretty popular opinion but oh well).
CGI and visual effects and the like don't bother me one bit. I watch a movie to be visually stimulated (well that's a big part of it anyway) so they might as well make the visuals as spectacular and unique as possible and if they have to use computers to achieve that then I have absolutely no problem with it. It's only when it starts to look really fake and tacky that it becomes a visual obstacle for me (Scorpion King in the end of that Mummy movie??? lol)

No I wouldn't consider the Star Wars prequels cartoons. I haven't read up on the definition of "cartoon" and these movies may very well fit the description completely, but I once read this entertaining quote:

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; being smart is knowing not to put tomatoes in a fruit salad."

What I get from that is that these movies may very well be defined as cartoons but I certainly wouldn't group them in with movies that are familiar to me as cartoons.
Quote by Nickpocalypse
I actually liked Episode 3 (Revenge of the Sith) a lot better than Episode 6 (Return of the Jedi), but other than that, I do prefer the originals more than the prequals (Empire Strikes Back is by far the best IMO, I know that is pretty popular opinion but oh well).
CGI and visual effects and the like don't bother me one bit. I watch a movie to be visually stimulated (well that's a big part of it anyway) so they might as well make the visuals as spectacular and unique as possible and if they have to use computers to achieve that then I have absolutely no problem with it. It's only when it starts to look really fake and tacky that it becomes a visual obstacle for me (Scorpion King in the end of that Mummy movie??? lol)

No I wouldn't consider the Star Wars prequels cartoons. I haven't read up on the definition of "cartoon" and these movies may very well fit the description completely, but I once read this entertaining quote:

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; being smart is knowing not to put tomatoes in a fruit salad."

What I get from that is that these movies may very well be defined as cartoons but I certainly wouldn't group them in with movies that are familiar to me as cartoons.

Thank you. Way too much SW Prequel bashing around here.
Check out my band Disturbed
as far as I know, cartoons are meant to be comical or drawn in a comical fashion.

Even though the final fantasy movie was animated, most of it was done to appear photorealistic (or as real as they could get it), so while it's animation, I wouldn't call it a cartoon.