Hi all,

I've been playing acoustic for a few months and played the Electric the other day, Very cool!

Anywho, Ive got a mate offering $550AUD for his Epip Les Paul Custom(6months old).

I don't know Anything about Electric guitars. I know the Les paul is an Awesome guitar from reviews But I want to know if it's the right guitar for me to lay down $550 or if i should be looking for something else...

I enjoy playing Post-rock (would like to start), and melodic songs (if that makes any sense), please give me some directions...

I'm very tempted to lay $550 for this LesPaul custom, but I'm not sure if its an impluse buy or not.
Last edited by Mike_is at May 31, 2010,
is that with or without an amp?

a good guitar will sound crap with a bad amp but a bad guitar will sound decent through a good amp. Also what are you using it for?
Try it first. Epi are not bad guitar, and if you want you can ugrade it with gibson pickup that are amazing. Try to see if it keep in tune.
I'am not sure about AUD$ but compare the price with new stuff. It seems a little expensive even for a 6 months-old guitar.
in the uk its £360 for the 6 month old one and £450-499 for new, so its not a bad deal
Gibson Les Pauls are good. Epiphones are the budget Gibsons, (cause normals gibsons are overpriced hunks of shit and no one was buying them).

Pretty much, if you like the feel of it and it makes you want to play it OVER AND OVER... get it, cause if it makes u want to play again and again, u'll get better so quickly. The only problem of this is that you might run into the limitations of this guitar rather quickly.

This happened to me when i was using my dad's fender strat, but i got to a stage rather quickly (2-3 years) where i was playing music that need a floating floyd system and at least 22 frets (steve vai's fault haha). So i bought myself an ibanez S470 and i love it so much more, even though the fender is a very nice guitar, i'm better suited to the ibanez.

So yeah, before you buy it, play it for a while... maybe even borrow it (if ur good mates) and after a week or 2 see how much you want to play it... and if it's like every waking second.. then yes, u should buy it.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Considering they go for over $1000 new, I'd get it.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Without amp. Guitars are usually more expensive in the land of Australia

Not really a 'good' friend as such, more like a "hey, i don;t know you, but i'm selling my guitar for $550, interested?"

The only thing that concerns me about the guitar (because i'm noob), not having the top cut away, heaps of dials, and the type of style i enjoy playing (post rock/modern rock/pop).

Sorry about the edits: hetic day at uni, head isn't working well.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Considering they go for over $1000 new, I'd get it.

epiphone les paul custom not a gibson les paul custom mate..
If you have the money for a decent amp as well then get it if not then haggle and try to get it cheaper, or get another guitar and an amp
Those epis are around 800-900 new AUD

And imo they're pretty good guitars i'd say go for it and spend $200 on a peavy vypyr 15 and you'll have a nice setup for a year or two
don't bother with a vypyr 15, get a 30W then you have a decent set up, especially if you can get a sanpera
Quote by wolvenrick
epiphone les paul custom not a gibson les paul custom mate..

AU$TRALIA MUSIC SHOPS.

Gotta love em.
Quote by kirky boy
don't bother with a vypyr 15, get a 30W then you have a decent set up, especially if you can get a sanpera

Yeah do this if you ahve the extra cash, IIRC 30ws are around 400? or so
Gibsons are like $5000 new in australia, totally ****ed up here. Espeically with Mes/boogie amps, like $5000 for just the triple rectifier head... or was that the dual?

But u need to try it out extensively before you buy it.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
I might stick to a cheap amp, I'm not going to be playing any gigs anytime soon (or at all, for that matter). Just some study-room chill out sessions when i've had enough of life.
... Just bought the guitar!

Picking it up in a couple of days, What should I look out for? Is there anything that comes with the guitar when new? (keeping in mind i dont know much about elec. guitars)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Epiphone-by-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-VGC-RRP-1399_W0QQitemZ170493392820QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by Mike_is
... Just bought the guitar!

Picking it up in a couple of days, What should I look out for? Is there anything that comes with the guitar when new? (keeping in mind i dont know much about elec. guitars)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Epiphone-by-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-VGC-RRP-1399_W0QQitemZ170493392820QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmm, he says "Epiphone Les Paul Custom - is only 6 months old, bought at Musicians Pro shop in Southport for $1400." and yet it is an 07 model.

This info is from www.guitardaterproject.org:

Your guitar was made at the
Qingdao Plant (Epiphone), China
November 2007
Production Number: 11934

None of this means there is necessarily anything to worry about!

Nothing much to look for coming with the guitar. Other than the guitar itself, everything else is "candy".

You might take it to a local luthier to get an assessment right away, in case there is a problem and you can make a return.
nice! man, that thing looks good. i don't think you'll regret the purchase. i think the change from an acoustic to a les paul wont be too drastic.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
What's a good amp which is easy on the pockets?

I don't plan to do any gigs, Just playing in my study room, very quietly.
Quote by Mike_is
What's a good amp which is easy on the pockets?

I don't plan to do any gigs, Just playing in my study room, very quietly.

Peavy vypyr 15w or Roland Cube 15w

Try to stretch for the 30w versions tho,

Just stay away from the marshall MG or Line 6
Vox VTs are also pretty up there too. Just that i don't think the smaller versions have an fx loop, but u may not need that, i only use that for my boost pedal.
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Oh quick questions, my pick up covers, rocks side to side if i apply a force on it, is this meant to happen?