I started getting serious with guitar and I've been practicing like mad; maybe an hour to 1.5 hours a day. Being the ignorant amateur that I am, I never stretched, warmed up. or rested. And I was just doing newbie stuff like bar chords and scales from the CAGED system (Fretboard Logic). This was going on for about a week.

I noticed yesterday morning morning that my fretting hand felt weird and unnatural. And even while I type this message there's a tiny bit of pain and slight discomfort in my fingers. I won't practice till it's gone. What else can I do to get my fretting hand back in shape?
Last edited by ajsguitar at May 31, 2010,
An hour a day is not alot of practice. Honestly more like minimum!

How hard are you fretting? Don't get ahead of yourself, or body for that matter. Your fingers can only take so much at a time. It's most likely a problem with your technic though.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
i agree with gundamnitpete...an hour a day isnt really "practicing like heck" haha. but anyways, take the time to rest from time to time when you feel some pain. dont worry/don't rush you'll get whatever you're practicing in time haha
if the pain is only in the fingertips keep no playing till u cant feel it anymore. if its in ur wrist or muscles take a braek and maybe figure out why u got it. (muscles not used to playing yet or ur arm's position is incorrect ) you should feel as relaxed as possible while playing. keep that in mind next time when u gonna practice
It's the muscles in my fretting hand. And I was fretting pretty hard, thinking that it was was a good thing in order to get better sound. Otherwise the strings would sound slightly muted.

So how can I get my fretting hand back into shape?
Quote by ajsguitar
I started getting serious with guitar and I've been practicing like mad; maybe an hour to 1.5 hours a day. Being the ignorant amateur that I am, I never stretched, warmed up. or rested. And I was just doing newbie stuff like bar chords and scales from the CAGED system (Fretboard Logic). This was going on for about a week.

I noticed yesterday morning morning that my fretting hand felt weird and unnatural. And even while I type this message there's a tiny bit of pain and slight discomfort in my fingers. I won't practice till it's gone. What else can I do to get my fretting hand back in shape?

An hour to 1.5 hours a day is practicing like mad? **** that dude. An hour to 1.5 hours a day is what I do when I've had a VERY busy day
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by ajsguitar
It's the muscles in my fretting hand. And I was fretting pretty hard, thinking that it was was a good thing in order to get better sound. Otherwise the strings would sound slightly muted.

So how can I get my fretting hand back into shape?

Lol.

This is just your hands tired from practice.

It's like when you lift weights, your arms are gonna obviously be tired the next day.

Same thing with guitar and your hands.

Plus your hands are very new to this kind of excercise, so it's getting tired faster.

Just keep up this excercise, don't let it scare you away from practicing.
Hah, that seems alot of time to me cause I just started and I suck. So yah, other than resting, what can I do to get my fretting hand back in shape?

The thing is, I don't want to overdo it because I'm scared it'll become serious to the point that I won't be able to play again. I forgot to mention that my fretting thumb has been slightly tingly and numb this past week, intermittently.
Last edited by ajsguitar at May 31, 2010,
You did the right thing by stopping when you felt pain. I would leave it a few days at least to give your hand a chance to recover - being new to guitar you're playing with a lot more tension than you will later on, so your hand is taking a beating.

After that, always make sure you stretch before playing. See John Pettrucci's Rock Discipline - the section on stretching is great. After that, warm up gradually by playing something slow and non strenous. Once your into the main part of your practice, stop for a break of 7-10 mins after every 30 minutes of playing. During playing, also stop and stretch for 10 or 15 seconds every now and again. Other than that, just pay attention to your body and play with as little tension as you can.
My advise is to check if you are doing the chord the right way (check some youtube videos). If you are doing it correctly, it means it's just articulation pain (or muscle pain). It'll disappear with time. Now go practice some more!
Quote by se012101
You did the right thing by stopping when you felt pain. I would leave it a few days at least to give your hand a chance to recover - being new to guitar you're playing with a lot more tension than you will later on, so your hand is taking a beating.

After that, always make sure you stretch before playing. See John Pettrucci's Rock Discipline - the section on stretching is great. After that, warm up gradually by playing something slow and non strenous. Once your into the main part of your practice, stop for a break of 7-10 mins after every 30 minutes of playing. During playing, also stop and stretch for 10 or 15 seconds every now and again. Other than that, just pay attention to your body and play with as little tension as you can.

Thank you. I'll give it one or two more days. I didn't play yesterday, and this morning my hand felt better actually, but I know it's not 100%. I think my problem was just that--too much tension, especially when barring. I thought that applying strong tension was how a fretting hand became stronger.