Well, I was going to buy a Blackstar HT5 for mostly bedroom practicing, but then I saw a Blackstar HT20 Studio 20 1x12 Combo amp.

Is 5 watts really enough to play in the bedroom, and maybe even go into jams with? And which amp would you buy?

I'm mostly going to be playing in my bedroom, but in the near future I might be in a band, and I'll need something to go above all the other instruments, so is the extra 15 watts worth the extra money?

Inspirations - Guns n' Roses, Buckethead, Muse, 30 Seconds To Mars, Slipknot, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, Avenged Sevenfold

Also, can someone explain all of these different amp things to me? What's a combo amp? why do they have sizes like 1x12? what's the difference between studio and artisian? what's the difference between a head and a cabinent and a amp?

Thanks in advance.
whilst the ht-5 is loud the ht-20 would be better suited for what you need, as it is more powerfull and having a 1x12 rather than a 1x10 will provide a slight amount more volume
I used to be in this situation a few months ago. The HT-5 would have to be set louder to get its distortion, while the ht-20 has a master volume. The HT-20 can obviously be set louder for gigs as well.

Edit: Missed the entire bottom part
Well, Very few people like combos due to the matter of tube rattle, and that many prefer cabinets from other makers. Combos usual have the exact same voicing and all that, but through the company's own cabinet and choice of speakers, while you can swap cabinets on your own with the head (more expensive.)

As for the models, Art. are supposedly hand-wired point-to-point, while the others are probably mass produced.

Basically, if you get the combo, it'll be much harder to control your tone. You basically play with what they give you. The head will cost more, but you'll have more control over what you get (with the right bit of cash, anyway.)
"Play them blues, boy!"

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 2x12
ESP Ltd EC 1000
Jackson King V
Jackson DKMG
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS9
BOSS EQ 7
Last edited by MannyC2107 at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Dabestile
Well, I was going to buy a Blackstar HT5 for mostly bedroom practicing, but then I saw a Blackstar HT20 Studio 20 1x12 Combo amp.

Is 5 watts really enough to play in the bedroom, and maybe even go into jams with? And which amp would you buy?

I'm mostly going to be playing in my bedroom, but in the near future I might be in a band, and I'll need something to go above all the other instruments, so is the extra 15 watts worth the extra money?

Yes, for jam/band situations you'll need the 20watts.
Less than that, and you won't be loud enough.

Quote by Dabestile
Inspirations - Guns n' Roses, Buckethead, Muse, 30 Seconds To Mars, Slipknot, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, Avenged Sevenfold

What is your budget for the amp?
Are you willing to buy used?

Quote by Dabestile
Also, can someone explain all of these different amp things to me? What's a combo amp? why do they have sizes like 1x12? what's the difference between studio and artisian? what's the difference between a head and a cabinent and a amp?

The amp head is what "processes" and amplifies the guitar signal.
The cabinet is the box where the speakers are.

A combo amp has the head and the cabinet together. Like this: Combo
Separated, they look like this: Head and cabinet

The 1x12" refers to the number and size of speakers.
1x12" means that the combo or cabinet has one speaker, with 12 inches.
4x10" means that the combo or cabinet has four speakers, with 10 inches each.

EDIT: basically, if you buy an amp head, you'll also need to buy a cab.
The amp head doesn't have speakers, so you need one to hear the sound.
WARNING: you cannot turn on the power of an amp head without having a cab connected.

With a combo amp, you get the head and cab together in one package.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 31, 2010,
His budget is around £500-600, but I don't know what the prices are like for people in the U.K.

You would definitely get more for your money if you do go used, though. Out here, you could probably get a used Mesa (Mark series) or Peavey (5105/5105II or 6505/6505+)

Though, you might want to check out the JCM 900's out there as well.
"Play them blues, boy!"

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 2x12
ESP Ltd EC 1000
Jackson King V
Jackson DKMG
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS9
BOSS EQ 7
Yeah, I don't mind buying used

I was told that blackstar are the best kind of amps, because of how diverse they are? I'd want good cleans and good distortions, a classic AND a modern tone.
I'd also like to be able to hit the tone from these 2 guitars : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6vlQr4K8dw

EDIT : The change from dollar to pounds is a little over half so for example if a amp costed $800 it would probably cost roughly around £450. I'm not sure how accurate that is though.
Last edited by Dabestile at May 31, 2010,
I checked out a JCM 900, it's a head, so would I be using that for only bedroom practise?
Quote by Dabestile
I checked out a JCM 900, it's a head, so would I be using that for only bedroom practise?

No.

The Marshall JCM900 is just an amp head -- IT DOESN'T PRODUCE ANY SOUND.
You would need a speaker cabinet to connect it to.

And as i said before, turning on the power of the head, without having a cabinet connected to it, IT DAMAGES THE HEAD.

Plus, i'm sure most people will agree that a JCM 900 for bedroom practice is overkill.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
JCM900 is overkill but it will work and also be useable for anything else he might want to do.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dabestile
Yeah, so would a Blackstar HT20 be the best thing for me then?

I think you know too little to make a good decision right now.

You should go study more about amps, try lots of different models from different manufacturers, and only then consider buying one.

You don't even understand the whole amp head+cab / combo concept...

Quote by Cathbard
JCM900 is overkill but it will work and also be useable for anything else he might want to do.

Agreed, i use a 120watt amp head with a 4x12" cab for bedroom practice myself!
And it's very useful for gigs (when i get to use it, and don't have to run straight into the PA...).

But considering how little he knows about amps, i think it's a bad move.

He probably would be better off buying a Roland Cube 30X or a Peavey Vypyr 30, for now.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 31, 2010,
I could buy a amp and THEN learn about different amps. Why would I waste my money and a good tone because I 'don't know enough' when I can just get the amp, learn all I need to and not have wasted my money?
Quote by Dabestile
I could buy a amp and THEN learn about different amps. Why would I waste my money and a good tone because I 'don't know enough' when I can just get the amp, learn all I need to and not have wasted my money?

Because now you can end up making a purchase you'll later regret (when you know more about amps).

Making a bad choice is less probable if you have some knowledge about amps, and more important, if you tried and heard LOTS of different amps.

But yeah, the Blackstar HT-20 Studio combo is more than enough for your needs.
Go for it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112