I'm looking to build a little rack setup, consisting of a POD pro xt and a power amp.

not looking for crit or whatever on the POD, just want to know if this would be a suitable power amp?

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/ld-systems-wild-thang-400-watt-amplifier

cheers

EDIT: just to make my last question more noteable ill put it here hehe, im having second thoughts about the line 6 pod pro, im considering either a rocktron gainiac or a boss GX-700. anyone got any thoughts on these? and any other suggestions for a similar price

thanks
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Last edited by sylphin at Jun 1, 2010,
I've never really looked into this kind of thing before so i dont have a clue whats a suitable amp >.< could you please recommend some?

im a bit lost in this area you see

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
(here comes the noob level -.-) about 250 quid and yes ill go used

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
just out of curiosity, what would be the issue with using a PA power amp?

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
ahhh i see =] thanks for all the help and info mate, tis much appreciated.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
By the way, would it be pretty straight forward to connect the POD pro to a PA power amp? i know it wont sound as good as a tube amp but for now i want to go with it, since its my first rack system and im simply wanting to try out some new gear etc, not really ready to commit large amounts of money to it

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
if your going to be powering guitar speakers, i wouldnt recommend a PA power amp, it will work OK, but there is better options. if your on a tight budget, i'd suggest looking for a rocktron velocity power amp, this would be better suited for driving guitar speakers.
i just checked out the link of the power amp your asking about - i also would not recommend that particular amp as it only has speakon type outputs. this is not a major issue but you would have to buy speakon to 1/4" jack leads to connect to your cabinet. just another oddity.
It has Speakon and binding posts. So a pair of wire stripers will convert a 1/4" speaker cable to work.
yes, but IMO the binding posts would be more of a pain in the arse than paying the extra for speakon leads...
The speaker cable connector is why you wouldn't buy it??

That amp should work fine, all your sound is generated by the Pod in your case, the PA amp shouldn't colour that much at all. Your choice of speakers will make a difference. It would certainly do in the short term and it's always handy to have a half decent PA amp laying around.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The speaker cable connector is why you wouldn't buy it??

if i was on a budget, buying for a dedicated guitar rig, and not wanting to have to upgrade soon, yes. personally, i still think you'd be better off with a rocktron velocity.
but hey, thats just my opinion.

just to clarify, the PA amp will work fine and it will be easy to connect with the pod, it just wouldnt be my choice. UNLESS you are going to be powering full range PA speakers. then it would be ideal.
Last edited by rgoring at Jun 1, 2010,
As the TS is planning to buy a valve power amp down the track I'd suggest a PA amp would be a great thing to have in the back of the cupboard when he does. Score a couple of cheap PA bins and a cheap mixer and bada bing bada boom - PA! Even if you only ever use it for the monitors it's worth having. If you're going to collect stuff, collect useful stuff. A cheap SS guitar power amp is destined to be sold on Craigs List for a substantial loss, a PA may be the difference between a paying gig and a break even one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
As the TS is planning to buy a valve power amp down the track .

fair enough, i must of missed that part of the thread?
Quote by sylphin
I know it wont sound as good as a tube amp but for now i want to go with it, since its my first rack system

Maybe I am reading between the lines a bit but that sounded to me like it's a temporary measure until he decides what to go with. As he conceded that a tube amp was the ideal solution (or no rack at all) .......... maybe I read too much into it. Either way, if it's just "for now" then better to have something useful down the road as I said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are the pod and that power amp suited for connecting to a cabinet?
Ibanez Iceman MIK 2005
Orange Dual Terror
Vox v110nt cab

DIY BSIAB
Danelectro CC TOD-1

thanks for the info from everyone =] that power amp could be connected to a cab with the right leads etc, but i found a power amp on GAK for around the same price with 1/4" jacks for the output so that will go into a cab no problem, so ill probably get that one. also, im having second thoughts about the pod, im thinking about getting something simpler (and cheapr XD) like the rocktron gainiac?

or the boss GX-700. i know that ones not exactly simple but.. yeah it looks good haha

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Just check your impedances. Better to err on the larger side for the cab, matched is best. Be careful with your power ratings too. You can run less powerful speakers as long as nobody turns the volume up too loud but Murphy never sleeps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
to the TS, this probly should of been asked a while ago, but what are you hoping to get out of this rack setup? live/home use? what cab are you planning to use with it? etc... details are good.
ill be using this mainly for live use, and im going to be using it through a 4x12 cab, havent eally chosen one yet

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995