Please help me decide between Rosewood or Maple for my American Strat.

I like Rosewood because it doesn't get sticky when my fingers sweat, but like the look and aesthetic of Maple.

If I do decide on Maple I will have to apply Finger Ease or Fast Fret lubricant every time I play live, which I'm not sure if it damages the guitar in any way or loses it's slickness quickly so by the end of the show I'm sticking again. Anyone know?
"teh most gains"
you can get satin finished maple that won't tack to your fingers.
or even unfinished, but that need to be cleaned regularly.
you can do what most of us do... buy one now and the other one down the road to balance things out.
Go with Rosewood. It'll last longer than the finish on a maple fretboard will, it's easier to refret later on too.
Moving on.....
I reluctantly bought a Maple neck Tele a couple of years ago. I was hesitant to buy it for the same reason you stated. Honestly, I've never had an issue with the finish causing an issue. Fortunately, it's not a nitro finish, which probably would tend to get a little sticky.
Quote by 09phillt
Why is this not what we think it is?

We came here expecting a completely different question, and were wrong. Fine example of a paradox.
Quote by 09phillt
Why is this not what we think it is?

I just said that so you would view the topic. Is that a Murderface avatar?
"teh most gains"
Quote by KG6_Steven
I reluctantly bought a Maple neck Tele a couple of years ago. I was hesitant to buy it for the same reason you stated. Honestly, I've never had an issue with the finish causing an issue. Fortunately, it's not a nitro finish, which probably would tend to get a little sticky.

My thoughts as well. That nitro does stick quite a bit more than urethane. The Strat I'm looking at IS a nitro finish, so looks like I will be going with rosewood.
"teh most gains"
Go with the one you like playing on best. If you buy based on looks then guitar is the wrong hobby for you. Look into become a model or something else where primping rules over ability.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by mountain2012
The Strat I'm looking at IS a nitro finish, so looks like I will be going with rosewood.
What Strat are you looking at that has a Nitro finish on the neck? Only the Custom Shop models have those (and if you are buying a Custom Shop guitar before you even know what sort of fretboard you want... eh).

Anyway, if it's an actual Fender Strat (or even most copies), you could always get a neck from Warmoth. Get a Canary fretboard - it's only a shade darker than Fender's maple necks (which all come lightly tinted anyway) but can be used without a finish.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
What Strat are you looking at that has a Nitro finish on the neck? Only the Custom Shop models have those (and if you are buying a Custom Shop guitar before you even know what sort of fretboard you want... eh).

Anyway, if it's an actual Fender Strat (or even most copies), you could always get a neck from Warmoth. Get a Canary fretboard - it's only a shade darker than Fender's maple necks (which all come lightly tinted anyway) but can be used without a finish.

i'm curious as well. most strats these days have a satin finish on the neck so being sticky isn't an issue. i'm also confused as to why a guy who has been playing for 15 years doesn't seem to have a handle on what would work best for him (i posted in your pickup thread as well). not trying to be a dick but usually these kind of ? are from people that are relatively new players.
Quote by mountain2012
I just said that so you would view the topic. Is that a Murderface avatar?

No it's a stock one from the UG selection...
Gunk and wear will be visible on a maple fretboard, but barely, if at all, on a rosewood one.
Look at it from another repair angle. Sometimes over the course of time it becomes necessary to plane out a hump or change the radius from cylindrical (normal constant radius) to compound to suit a player's preference. These are more challenging on a finished fretboard because you effectively need to remove some of the finish during these activities and a touch up would look like shit. Same issue with a refret as pulling frets can mess up the slots and finish near them at times. The wear issue (finish wearing thru) will probably take more than 10 years unless you're gigging every nite but this is an American Fender so it will last for decades and will probably live to see this condition.
Personally, I just prefer Rosewood period but many Fender guys swear by maple too! SO in the end, "other issues" aside wit's what you like best.
Moving on.....
go try out as many strats as you can. just get the one that sounds best to you. thats what i did, and it just so happened to have a maple fretboard
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey