My parents went to drop stuff off the other day, and I decided to go along. I found some great stuff...4 blazer type jackets, a pair of jeans, a vintage hat, and a pair of converses...all for $25. I think I've found my new favorite store. Everything is in practically new condition. As a matter of fact, a ralph lauren jacket that I got still has the tags on.

I told my friend what I got there, and he seemed to think I was somehow taking away from the needy. I responded that it's a charity organization, so my money going there does the same as some lady on welfare's money does. Should I feel bad about shopping at goodwill?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
My parents went to drop stuff off the other day, and I decided to go along. I found some great stuff...4 blazer type jackets, a pair of jeans, a vintage hat, and a pair of converses...all for $25. I think I've found my new favourite store. Everything is in practically new condition. As a matter of fact, a ralph lauren jacket that I got still has the tags on.

I told my friend what I got there, and he seemed to think I was somehow taking away from the needy. I responded that it's a charity organization, so my money going there does the same as some lady on welfare's money does. Should I feel bad about shopping at goodwill?

Use your mind. If it's a charity organisation then how does it hurt to shop there?

You're more evil if you don't buy there you monster!
Now, if you want to save your soul, I suggest you buy those blazers, jeans, hat and the shoes. And just for your douchebaggery, you should probably throw in a couple of socks.

See you next week, Sinner.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at May 31, 2010,
your humor=not funny.

your humor=not funny.

Well, fair enough.

But in all seriousness, it's a charity shop. You buy stuff, it keeps them open.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Food banks are charity organizations as well. Should I shop there because it's cheaper than the grocery store?

I don't care what you do, but I sure as hell wouldn't be buying any second hand hats, shoes, or underwear.
Well done for discovering the genius of charity shops! The Women's Refuge in my town sells almost everything for 50 pence or a pound. Two nice shirts (one from Zara), a leather belt and a copy of Brett Easton Ellis' American psycho all for £4.50.

Amusing that I bought American Psycho from a Women's Refuge shop too.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
If it's the stuff you like for cheap, why not? No one else has bought it yet. You're paying for a commodity. By doing that, you help keep the doors open, not only for yourself, but for others. If it's really bothering you, don't shop there or make a donation to the organization funding the store.
In my town, you'd be looked down on if you go shopping at a goodwill store for the mere fact that if you were richer you'd go shopping at an actual store and not a goodwill store.

I don't care if you shop a goodwill store, I guess you can find some good prices there
DeVillains!
TS I don't want to say this, but I think I'll have to. Your friend is a f*cking idiot.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
^ Haha, yeah he is. XD He's cool though, sometimes.

And as for the comments about second-hand stuff...do any of you have a used guitar? I mean, I'm going to wash everything, even the shoes, so I don't really see a problem with cleanliness.

They have some good deals. One of my friends has been working for them for about 5 years now, so I hear about all the cool stuff they get in. I don't think he's bought new clothes since he started working there, and he has a bunch of name brand stuff.

They're better than places like the Salvation Army because they are more selective about what they will sell. That's also why their prices are higher. Salvation Army will take just about anything and then sell it.
I recently found some Lennon sunglasses there... it's like a treasure hunt!

Ne me quitte pas mon chere.
^ Haha, yeah he is. XD He's cool though, sometimes.

And as for the comments about second-hand stuff...do any of you have a used guitar? I mean, I'm going to wash everything, even the shoes, so I don't really see a problem with cleanliness.

Shoes mold to the original wearer's feet, and wear differently depending on gait, variations in foot construction, and where a person's foot bends. It's just not about disinfecting the shoe. Go ask a podiatrist what they think about 2nd-hand shoes
I got a nice ugly tie with pictures of dogs on it a few days ago.

I can see why someone could think it's a little questionable to shop there because you're cheap rather than because you're poor. Particularly if you're getting the "good stuff."

Even worse might be "hipsters" (don't like using that word, but y'know what I mean) who go there to buy kitschy stuff. (Like the tie I mentioned at the beginning of this post! Oh no!)
Since I didn't say this in my previous post I buy most of my clothes from Goodwill or various thrift stores. One time I went and got this outrageous bright red shirt. I'll post pics if I get a chance.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I bought red clothing there, including a brand new red jacket, while competing in the UG Competition. Anyone remember that? There were several teams or several different colors and we had to complete challenges assigned to us by a mod? Anyway, back on topic, Goodwill can get some good stuff.
.....Doesn't have a signature.

Goodwill and Value Village are win.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by daytripper75
They have some good deals. One of my friends has been working for them for about 5 years now, so I hear about all the cool stuff they get in. I don't think he's bought new clothes since he started working there, and he has a bunch of name brand stuff.

They're better than places like the Salvation Army because they are more selective about what they will sell. That's also why their prices are higher. Salvation Army will take just about anything and then sell it.

I like shops that do that. You have to prepare yourself for a proper time digging and digging, but I find some brilliant results.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Goodwill is the tits. I remember donating my old Supernintendo. I don't miss it, but I hope it made someone happy.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I got Chrono Cross for 4 bucks at a Goodwill.

Best purchase of my life.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
No, of course not.
I take my frustration out on my children.
HADOUKEN!
Well if someone was in need of a cheap pair of shoes then you've just taken that from them... On the other hand, you're paying to keep them alive so I guess it kind of balances out.
Better my money goes to charity than a soulless corporation.

And you're donating to it too, so your friend should really keep his mouth shut
I love the Goodwill. Old electronics and cheap blazers.

N64 for 5 bucks! How the hell can you not like that?!
I picked up a stylish MacBook Pro sleeve bag from the goodwill place. ...I don't think the needy have MacBooks

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I once found a Warwick on a Goodwill site. If I had the money to win the bidding war, I would have had no problem with getting it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's not bad to buy there, but you should also donate which in the OP it says you do.

I volunteer in a charity shop occasionally when they need someone. Stuff doesn't move very fast and it's necessary to shift stock. The money you spend there helps keep the doors open.
However it's a good idea to donate too, that way you don't have to worry about taking it away from someone else.

Shopping in charity shops is good for the environment too, one of the best forms of recycling.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington