Hey guys, i've been playing guitar for 5 months now self teaching, and i've got to a stage when i can play most riffs in the metal/rock genre and do simple solos and i'm thinking of starting trying more complex stuff. The thing is though that i don't know where to start. Can anyone tell me how they started? Should i practise and get better with more scales? All answers are appreciated

Solos i can play atm include things such as system of a down/scars on broadway stuff - all simple. I'd say the hardest solo i can play atm is the fade to black intro one.

Cheers people
Gear atm:
Jackson JS32T
Peavey Vypyr 15
Ernie ball custom's

playing guitar since 20/12/2009

Download 2011
Last edited by mell0r at May 31, 2010,
learn a couple of scales: blues scale and major scale, learn them in one key ie G and learn one position at a time, then when youve memorised the five positions up the neck you can mess around with bending, hammering etc playing different patterns/tempo of notes or what ever sounds good.
Well personally I just start at the beginning of the solo... But in all seriousness.

Just jump right, slow it down to a tempo you can play it flawlessly and then speed it up slowly by a few beats (you should probably use a metronome Guitar Pro and Power Tab have metronomes). and just keep slowly speeding it up until it's at the tempo it's supposed to be at.

You might have to slow it down a lot I remember i was trying to learn Antoine Dufours S spiritual Groove and i had to slow the intro down to like 15 BPM so don't be discouraged if it takes you awhile to learn it.
Ah cool, yeah i'll try both of them things then . Think i'm gonna start with seek and destroy first seeing as i can play the whole song apart from the bridge and solo . I'll practise scales as well, as i want to start writing my own solos some day and so yeah, it'll help a lot

Cheers guys
Gear atm:
Jackson JS32T
Peavey Vypyr 15
Ernie ball custom's

playing guitar since 20/12/2009

Download 2011
tbh the first solo i learned was smells like teen spirit. Then it went to Dream on . Now im learning purple haze , all along the watch tower , dolly dagger etc. Learn in small chunks. Learn ur scales and just play as much as you can.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal