Page 1 of 2
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been in a lot of forums before and I think your forum is an interesting one. I hope I enjoy my time here and hope you do too!

I am pretty sure that I am going for a blackstar series one combo. The key features are the wattage option and the isf control. What are your thoughts?

Price: Sub 1500 dollars. (the less the better)

Features: Um, at least two channels, a killer clean isn't a must but a really bright crunchy eddie van halen up too metallica rythm and solo kind of sound is welcome.

Sound: My biggest influences are: SLASH, EVH, Metallica the rest come after. As I said before I like my amp to be bright and pack a lot of punch.

Note: I already have a boss me-70 if any of the amps you mention need a distortion boost!

Amps that I am considering: Blackstar Series one combo used this i like the most because of the isf control and wattage control as I said before, bugera 333xl, egnater renegade.

My existing amp is a line 6 Spiderjam

Thanks for your time and effort.
I would go for the Egnater.
No particular reason, just personal preference.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I agree with Linkerman if you favourite features are the ISF and wattage controls then you definately want to go for an Egnater. The Renegade probably.
Quote by mcconnachiea
wrong section dude. And also, Mesa? Bugera?

He mentioned Bugera, but it's in the end of the list, so you probably didn't notice:
Quote by dynamitesteel
Amps that I am considering: Blackstar Series one combo used this i like the most because of the isf control and wattage control as I said before, bugera 333xl, egnater renegade.

=====
Quote by barnesybaby
I agree with Linkerman if you favourite features are the ISF and wattage controls then you definately want to go for an Egnater. The Renegade probably.

He also mentioned precisely the Egnater Renegade at the end of the list :
Quote by dynamitesteel

I dunno why i always read everything until the very end...
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Linkerman
He mentioned Bugera, but it's in the end of the list, so you probably didn't notice:

=====

He also mentioned precisely the Egnater Renegade at the end of the list :

I dunno why i always read everything until the very end...

:P Thanks for reading till the end, as you see I've done a bit of research before coming here!

Everybody seems to not comment on the blackstar, EVERYWHERE I ask. Why is that?
thanks!
Also, the blackstar's wattage control can be dialled from 45 to 5 watts so I can play with bedroom temperature. The renegade can go only from 50 watts to 15 watts. Is that ideal for room volume?
Quote by dynamitesteel
Everybody seems to not comment on the blackstar, EVERYWHERE I ask. Why is that?

I didn't comment on the Blackstar because, despite being a great amp, i prefer the Egnater.

Quote by dynamitesteel
The renegade can go only from 50 watts to 15 watts. Is that ideal for room volume?

If you don't crank it you could probably get away with it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Cheers for that, but I did. I was suggesting perhaps OTHER bugeras. And if you don't want to spend much, then maybe a 2nd hand crate blue voodoo.
cool, just to clarify I prefer an american BRIGHT, tight, bottom end type of tone over the british mellow stuff!
Quote by dynamitesteel
cool, just to clarify I prefer an american BRIGHT, tight, bottom end type of tone over the british mellow stuff!

Slash and EVH(heavily modified) uses British amps, Marshalls to be exact.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
EVH then got into Peavey 5150's and when he split with peavey he took the name brand with him and now, EVH 5150III. My friend has one and they are pretty cool but I'd rather have a peavey 5150 due the price for the punch. Check out peaveys, the 5150II/6505+ if you want a dedicated clean channel, or 6505/5150 if you just want some serious gain. Getting one used will save you tons of money, try to find one! 6L6 amps are considered a little more american than EL34 amps (Marshalls, Oranges) but thats definitely not a rock solid assumption. Whatever sounds best!
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Last edited by RocknRory at May 31, 2010,
I have heard of some reliability issues withe the Series 1 stuff. they sounds great though

out of the amps you posted. the Egnater Renegade is easily the best choice. it is very reliable cheap and sounds great. The OD channel does the EVH type thing really well. it sounds a lot like a hot rod 800 with the tube mix all the way to the EL34 side. on the 6L6 side it's more mesa flavored. it's VERY crunchy (think beautiful girls) although it's a little dark for your taste I assume. still an AWESOME amp. I highly recommend it. Also, the clean channel is really really really nice. anything from jazzy to sparkly fendery cleans.

also. forgot to add. the Egnater has a built in attenuator. which is pretty awesome for some bedroomish volumes.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at May 31, 2010,
Quote by thrasher.
Used Marshall JVM.

I think that's a bit dark for him. I also think that it's really overpriced and not a great fit for him.for what he's doing the Renegade is better.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Renegade.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Bostonrocks
I think that's a bit dark for him. I also think that it's really overpriced and not a great fit for him.for what he's doing the Renegade is better.

He could buy it used and it'll be like a grand or so. I like the Renegade too, especially after hearing it modded with KT88s. I've never been the biggest fan of Egnater stuff because sometimes it tends to have that CAA vibe on the newer stuff and be a bit grainy. You can dial that out in the Renegade but not in the Tourmaster (hate that amp).
thanks so much guys, my friend said that I might want to check out the randall mts. Its got modules for each type of amp and you can change them, and the best part they really do the trick. They have Jcm 800 Modules and Mesa Boogies, AND Plexi's

IMPORTANT NOTE: FOR ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT SAYS THAT EVH USES BRITISH STYLE AMPS. EVH USED A PLEXI SUPER LEAD AT THE BEGINNING which was far more bright than any other marshalls. Then it wasn't doing it for him so he moved to Peavey, which sits somewhere between a marshall and a mesa. http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/MTS-Modules/ for the MTS MODULES!
Quote by thrasher.
He could buy it used and it'll be like a grand or so. I like the Renegade too, especially after hearing it modded with KT88s. I've never been the biggest fan of Egnater stuff because sometimes it tends to have that CAA vibe on the newer stuff and be a bit grainy. You can dial that out in the Renegade but not in the Tourmaster (hate that amp).

Yeah, I saw fastredponycar's vid of it with KT88's. it made me go

I didn't like the tourmaster either. the Renegade might just be my next amp though .

as for the JVM. I still think it's not what he's looking for.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by dynamitesteel
thanks so much guys, my friend said that I might want to check out the randall mts. Its got modules for each type of amp and you can change them, and the best part they really do the trick. They have Jcm 800 Modules and Mesa Boogies, AND Plexi's

IMPORTANT NOTE: FOR ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT SAYS THAT EVH USES BRITISH STYLE AMPS. EVH USED A PLEXI SUPER LEAD AT THE BEGINNING which was far more bright than any other marshalls. Then it wasn't doing it for him so he moved to Peavey, which sits somewhere between a marshall and a mesa. http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/MTS-Modules/ for the MTS MODULES!

1. your friend is smart. that's a good idea. does a great idea.

2. the JCM800 was FAR brigher than any Plexi there was. period. the 5150. is really it's own thing. it's actually much more like a soldano SLO than a mesa OR a marshall. and the first SLO's were souped up Marshall's from what I remember.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

I didn't like the tourmaster either. the Renegade might just be my next amp though .

as for the JVM. I still think it's not what he's looking for.

Regarding the JVM, it isn't my favorite amp either, but I think paired with the right cab it could cover Slash, Metallica, EVH easily. But there may be a little something missing. He could go with a older JCM 800 with Greenbacks and boost and he'd be set.
Quote by thrasher.
Regarding the JVM, it isn't my favorite amp either, but I think paired with the right cab it could cover Slash, Metallica, EVH easily. But there may be a little something missing. He could go with a older JCM 800 with Greenbacks and boost and he'd be set.

I totally agree. I love the JVM actually, but I think the renegade is 500 dollars cheaper and is going to be better for him is all.

I agree with the JCM800 idea. but I think he needs more verstality than that.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
1. your friend is smart. that's a good idea. does a great idea.

2. the JCM800 was FAR brigher than any Plexi there was. period. the 5150. is really it's own thing. it's actually much more like a soldano SLO than a mesa OR a marshall. and the first SLO's were souped up Marshall's from what I remember.

I am not a marshall fanboy or expert so I don't really know. Sorry, my bad!
Quote by dynamitesteel
I am not a marshall fanboy or expert so I don't really know. Sorry, my bad!

no problem

My vote still goes to Renegade
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Nice conversation you guys, thanks a lot (sorry if I am repeating myself). So let's make a debate.

Randall Mts Combo VS Renegade (I am open to those KT tube mods, although I have 0 amp modding knowledge I can probably learn or have somebody do it for me!)
Quote by dynamitesteel
Nice conversation you guys, thanks a lot (sorry if I am repeating myself). So let's make a debate.

Randall Mts Combo VS Renegade (I am open to those KT tube mods, although I have 0 amp modding knowledge I can probably learn or have somebody do it for me!)

ok.

MTS: very versatile sounds pretty good. isn't going to NAIL tones, but it'll get you in the ball park. a little muddy sometimes.

Renegade. Not as versatile, but still up there with the tube mix option and the attenuator and a bunch of other cool little features. does a great marshall sound and can pull off mesa also. it's a little fizzy though.

so. do you want versatile? or do you want 2 really good sounds?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks

link?

i wanna see more Baron amp clips to feed my GAS for it
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
link?

i wanna see more Baron amp clips to feed my GAS for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToeoDBm3KRI
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i thought it was a Baron Kt88 but still.... THAT AMP SOUNDS ****ING AWESOME!!!

You mean K88?
Quote by thrasher.
You mean K88?

it was called KT88 at first but he changed it to K88
feel free to add me
my vote goes egnater, they're definately great amps. however, its a common misconception that lower wattage means bedroom-friendly volume. i have an Egnater Rebel 30, and taking it from 1 to 30 watts honestly makes very little difference unless it is allready cranked in the first place.

low wattage effects dynamics and tone much more than volume.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by dynamitesteel
Also, the blackstar's wattage control can be dialled from 45 to 5 watts so I can play with bedroom temperature. The renegade can go only from 50 watts to 15 watts. Is that ideal for room volume?

The one problem is that for bedroom, unless your parents/neighbors/wives/girlfriends/small children/animals/etc... are cool with loud noises, it won't really work.

5 watts, if you have to crank it to get gain, is still right loud.

And in all honesty, in your case, I'd have to say the Egnater. It does a lot of things, and all of those things very, very well. Here's a great sound demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYg0XAFF3EA
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by dynamitesteel
well the blacsktar can go from 45 watts all the way to 5 watts and everything in between!

well if you want it get it, but you've been warned.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I tried out a renegade at my local music store, had an EQ in the loop too. I gotta say dude, pretty killer amp. I just have ny POS destroyer into an ampeg (sounds alright though?) Can't see how anybody would be disappointed with that amp. Even if its not your style, as long as you dont need jazz tones or acoustic reproduction.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Page 1 of 2