I have now raised my budget to £1600 for a head.
I will be using it for gigs and band practices.
I mainly play metalcore and post-hardcore music. Bands like August Burns Red, Parkway Drive, Architects, Funeral For A Friend, Every Time I Die ect.

Here's a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GALmUe-jPHo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny9Y0IpwpPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZlVJeYY2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0wxgZo3bgE&feature=related

The amps I am thinking about so far are:

ENGL Fireball and Powerball but I heard they tend to get lost in the mix when playing with another guitarist.

Peavey 6505+ but I heard the Bugera 6262 is just as good with a better clean channel for half the price. I am worried about the reliability with the Bugera though.

ENGL Powerball 2. I heard it's alot like the Powerball but cuts through better?
ENGL Savage or Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier. These 3 are around the same price in the UK.

Due to where I live I can't try out any of the ENGLs but I may be able to try out a Mesa and the Peavey.

Which amp do you think would suit me best?
Any other amps you think I should try out?
Mesa Boogie dual or triple rec
also try considering the JCM800 for a decent mid-gain amp,
the bogner uberschall is a good shout as well.

I'd put my money ultimately on the Mesa boogie dual rec.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
If I were spending £1600 on a amp I'd really want to try them out myself... the finer details are going to be down to you because all of the amps mentioned people love and are amazing in their own way.

Where do you live? Is there a shop where you can try some Mesas, Engls etc...

However If I had to suggest an amp, then most likely a Dual Rectifier would be most suited for that generic metal tone.
Last edited by vitchb at May 31, 2010,
I personally took an ENGL pwerball over a mesa dual rec but they are both very good amps, ive never heard of engls getting lost in the mix before but i never played mine along with others.

ive also heard a lot of good things about the bogner uberschall

personally though id say the mesa/engl/bogner will be way ahead of the peavey/bugera (not played a bugera but i tried a 5150 alongside the powerball before i tried it and it didnt stand a chance)

and as said above £1600 is a lot of money to buy somthing blind surely its worth the trip to somewhere to try them out, let us know where your located and im sure people will help
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Last edited by gtanny at May 31, 2010,
Quote by adj209

all out of budget and the JCM wont do well with the bands he listed

TS, i also suggest trying out amps like Vitchb said, also look for a Laboga Mr. Hector and a BRunetti Piratta in your local shops
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
all out of budget and the JCM wont do well with the bands he listed

TS, i also suggest trying out amps like Vitchb said, also look for a Laboga Mr. Hector and a BRunetti Piratta in your local shops

The JCM800 is way within budget and with a decent boost you can hit the sweet spot.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Amps get lost in the mix when you have your mids at zero and your treble at 3. Up your mids, up your presence, up your treble and you shouldn't get lost in the mix

Maybe an ENGL Sovereign, Fryette Deliverance, Koch Amps Powetone?
Last edited by stykerwolf at May 31, 2010,
Quote by adj209

The Mesa Triple Rectifier, Dual Rectifier and Bogner Uberschall are all over budget. I live in the UK (Northern Ireland).

Quote by vitchb
If I were spending £1600 on a amp I'd really want to try them out myself... the finer details are going to be down to you because all of the amps mentioned people love and are amazing in their own way.

Where do you live? Is there a shop where you can try some Mesas, Engls etc...

However If I had to suggest an amp, then most likely a Dual Rectifier would be most suited for that generic metal tone.

I live in Northern Ireland. There's no shops around here that I know of that stock ENGLs. There used to be one but it closed down. I might be able to try out some Mesas but most are out of my price range apart from the Single Rectifier or Express 5:50.
Quote by adj209
The JCM800 is way within budget and with a decent boost you can hit the sweet spot.

For Parkway drive stuff??
i dont think so
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Engl Savage, 5150.

If you want something more versitile the old Peavey JSX has 3 great channels aswell
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
a used mesa recto is well within your price range if you look around (in fact there is a dual on ebay at the moment for 850 in the same town i live in) the problem is most are collection only but it shows its more then possible to achieve.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MESA-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-100w-solo-head-/190399878185?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2c54b79429

you could always as the seller if you could send your own courier to collect it surely wont be more then the 750 left in your budget. if the buyer disagrees i would be willing to collect the item for you if you wanted to arrange a courier (PM me if your interested)
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

I don't know anywhere that stock those.

Quote by gtanny
a used mesa recto is well within your price range if you look around (in fact there is a dual on ebay at the moment for 850 in the same town i live in) the problem is most are collection only but it shows its more then possible to achieve.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MESA-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-100w-solo-head-/190399878185?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2c54b79429

you could always as the seller if you could send your own courier to collect it surely wont be more then the 750 left in your budget. if the buyer disagrees i would be willing to collect the item for you if you wanted to arrange a courier (PM me if your interested)

I hope to try out some mesas soon so I'll wait to try some out before I buy one. I'll keep a look out for used ones though. Do you know any other sites other than ebay for buying used gear in the UK?
If you're up for it I suggest travelling down to Dublin to jam on some proper amps. It's really worth the trip. With your budget I'd definetely be looking at used Mesa's or JCM's. You could go down the cheaper route at that of a Bugera 6262 (which I may add that the reliability issues have been ironed out a long time now) or a peavey 6505.

In all honesty, once you play Mesa, those other amps sound so inferior
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by circlethesky
I hope to try out some mesas soon so I'll wait to try some out before I buy one. I'll keep a look out for used ones though. Do you know any other sites other than ebay for buying used gear in the UK?

Don't have a clue about amps for your style of music but I'll reply to this.

music radar
Gumtree
Fastfude
Music radar is pretty much only UK, Fastfude is a Northern Irish site. Quite a small community but I've bought and sold through it. Gumtree's just a classified like Craiglist in the states.
peavey 6505+ pretty much most of the bands you mentioned use them
and with teh extra £600 you could get yourself a really nice clean amp or some pedals to enhance the peaveys cleans it's what i plan to do
Since you're in the UK, I'd look into a Marshall JVM410. You'll get a better value than an American-made, tax-heavy Mesa, even though the Mesa might be a little better for the tones you're after.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by aaronni
Don't have a clue about amps for your style of music but I'll reply to this.

music radar
Gumtree
Fastfude
Music radar is pretty much only UK, Fastfude is a Northern Irish site. Quite a small community but I've bought and sold through it. Gumtree's just a classified like Craiglist in the states.

Thanks for the help

Quote by Adam124
If you're up for it I suggest travelling down to Dublin to jam on some proper amps. It's really worth the trip. With your budget I'd definetely be looking at used Mesa's or JCM's. You could go down the cheaper route at that of a Bugera 6262 (which I may add that the reliability issues have been ironed out a long time now) or a peavey 6505.

In all honesty, once you play Mesa, those other amps sound so inferior

Yeah, I might wait till the next time I'm down in Dublin. I know I'll be down in mid July at the latest.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Since you're in the UK, I'd look into a Marshall JVM410. You'll get a better value than an American-made, tax-heavy Mesa, even though the Mesa might be a little better for the tones you're after.

Thanks, I'll try to try out one of those. Yeah, they're under £1000 here which is more than half the price a new triple or dual rectifier is.
Last edited by circlethesky at May 31, 2010,
Used Diezel Herbert *orgasm*
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I'm going to play devils advocate here and ask.....

What guitar do you have?
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
I'm going to play devils advocate here and ask.....

What guitar do you have?

I have a ESP LTD EC-1000 and I'm going to buy either an ESP Eclipse, Horizon, another LTD EC-1000, LTD H-1000 or a Jackson SLSMG for playing in drop C once I get my new amp.
Last edited by circlethesky at May 31, 2010,
Whew! Glad to see you're not playing a $300 guitar and planning on pumping it thru an expensive amp! Wouldn't be the first time I'd seen that happen here. Sometimes I think UG shoul;d be called UA for Ultimate Amp.
Moving on.....
I can't remember what amps were up in Northern Ireland the last time I went there, but I live in Sligo and I have to travel to England or Germany to try out the amplifiers that I'm interested in.

There are, however, certain amps that I'd quite happily buy without trying. Notably Diezel's - Einstein, used VH4 or Herbert, or even the Schmidt. Also, I'd probably take a Bogner Uberschall and a Soldano SLO100 any day if I had the money, and I'd do it without trying them first. Of course, my confidence is based on reading a lot about them and researching them to death.

But I would not buy an ENGL or a Hughes&Kettner, for example, without trying one. I've played two H&K's and neither sounded right to my ears. I've played a good few ENGL's on many occasions, and even owned a Powerball for a month or two, and that didn't suit me either – particularly in my band room.

Go to netmusicians.org and listen to the clips of EVERY amp within your budget, even the ones that are difficult to find, like Splawn, Soldano, Egnater, Diezel, etc. Once you've done that, decide on which sound you like the best and match it to the features you like the best. Then look for a place to buy one and ask on here or wherever what other people think on the matter.

Me personally, I'd recommend a Framus Dragon, Fryette Sig:X, Blackstar Series One 100, Diezel Einstein 100, Splawn Nitro, Soldano Decatone, and maybe a Peavey 3120.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by circlethesky

ENGL Fireball and Powerball but I heard they tend to get lost in the mix when playing with another guitarist.

It depends on what amp your other guitarist has. peavey 5150's and well Eq'ed dual rec's have a knack of drowning out my powerball, although i've found that an eq pedal boost at around 1KHz helps a lot.

you also want to get the v2 model which has the improved noisegate and the lead channel treble control is logarithmic(v2) rather than linear(v1) which also aids cutting through.
Ibanez Prestige RG3270
Axe FX II
Orange Rockerverb 100 smokes them all.
/thread
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Orange Rockerverb 100 smokes them all.
/thread

I didn't think they would have enough gain?
ya the rockerverb has loads of gain but not really the same kind as the engls.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
The Rockerverb has plenty of distortion but it's a different type of distortion than something like the 5150. It is darker, woollier, bassier, cleaner, and more grungy in flavour. It isn't necessarily tight or saturated, which is maybe what you're looking for.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Rockerverb has plenty of distortion but it's a different type of distortion than something like the 5150. It is darker, woollier, bassier, cleaner, and more grungy in flavour. It isn't necessarily tight or saturated, which is maybe what you're looking for.

Thanks, I listened to some clips of it. Doesn't really sound like what I'm looking for but there's something I quite like about it. I think it might suit the newer Norma Jean kina stuff?

Quote by AngryGoldfish
I can't remember what amps were up in Northern Ireland the last time I went there, but I live in Sligo and I have to travel to England or Germany to try out the amplifiers that I'm interested in.

There are, however, certain amps that I'd quite happily buy without trying. Notably Diezel's - Einstein, used VH4 or Herbert, or even the Schmidt. Also, I'd probably take a Bogner Uberschall and a Soldano SLO100 any day if I had the money, and I'd do it without trying them first. Of course, my confidence is based on reading a lot about them and researching them to death.

But I would not buy an ENGL or a Hughes&Kettner, for example, without trying one. I've played two H&K's and neither sounded right to my ears. I've played a good few ENGL's on many occasions, and even owned a Powerball for a month or two, and that didn't suit me either – particularly in my band room.

Go to netmusicians.org and listen to the clips of EVERY amp within your budget, even the ones that are difficult to find, like Splawn, Soldano, Egnater, Diezel, etc. Once you've done that, decide on which sound you like the best and match it to the features you like the best. Then look for a place to buy one and ask on here or wherever what other people think on the matter.

Me personally, I'd recommend a Framus Dragon, Fryette Sig:X, Blackstar Series One 100, Diezel Einstein 100, Splawn Nitro, Soldano Decatone, and maybe a Peavey 3120.

Thanks for the help

I checked that site out, I haven't listened to all the amps you mentioned yet but the Splawn Nitro sounded awesome. Any idea on where I could find one?
Last edited by circlethesky at Jun 14, 2010,
Sounds Great Music
UK
+44 (0) 161 436-4799
www.soundsgreatmusic.com

http://splawnguitars.com/dealers.htm

You will pay out the nose in VAT so you're best bet is to find a used Splawn. Doesn't have to be a Nitro either - most of his amps can do what you want.

A used Bogner, Marshall, Diezel, or Engl will probably be a better value.