Yelling, like Conor Oberst or Isaac Brock. My voice is similar to Conor's, but everytime I try to yell (Like the "Let's **** it up, boys, make some noise" part in Road To Joy) I sound more like ****ing Jerry Seinfeld, in that my voice get whiny and loses all it's distortion. How can I improve my yelling voice, 'cause it's really something I'd like to use more often.
That distortion you speak of is your vocal chords smashing together. Absolutely terrible for your voice.

However, there is a way to do it that will screw you up less (maybe). Learn to use your diaphragm and literally aim your voice at your hard palate (the bony roof of your mouth).

Your problem is you lack projection and diaphragm use. Never yell with your throat. Instead push out your belly like you are pregnant and then try to yell "from" this area. Its hard to explain but easy to do once you start.
Quote by merriman44
That distortion you speak of is your vocal chords smashing together. Absolutely terrible for your voice.

However, there is a way to do it that will screw you up less (maybe). Learn to use your diaphragm and literally aim your voice at your hard palate (the bony roof of your mouth).

Your problem is you lack projection and diaphragm use. Never yell with your throat. Instead push out your belly like you are pregnant and then try to yell "from" this area. Its hard to explain but easy to do once you start.

this
Thanks a lot, this is helping. It's still a little too smooth though, but I'll keep practicing.