Hey guys.

I'm mostly interested in playing blues, hard rock, post-hardcore, and modern metal.

My amp is a line 6 spider 3 but I'm thinking about replacing it with a tube amp of some sort. What pedals should I invest in?

So far I've got these on my list:
Boss ML-2 (Metalcore)
Boss MD-2 (Mega Distortion)
Boss BD-2 (Blues Driver)
Boss TU-2 (Chromatic Tuner)
Boss TR-2 (Tremolo)
Boss DD-3 (DigiDelay)
Crybaby Wah

Am I missing anything? Or does anyone have any suggestions/criticisms?

Thanks
You've got the order the wrong way around. First, you buy an amp, then you get pedals that accomodate it. With modulation effects it's a bit different of course, but why in the world would you buy three overdrive/distortion boxes when you don't even know if you'll need them with the new amp.

Come on, let's do this the old fashioned way:
How much cash do you have?
Where do you live?
Is used stuff an option for you?
^ +1

You should focus on getting an amp first, and then choose some pedals to fill the gaps that the amp cannot for your personal style.

Also, while Boss pedals aren't always bad, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Especially in the used market, you can often find higher quality pedals for similar prices.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Okay well...I'm looking to spend $300.

@Quailman: What do you mean? I'll need them if I get something like say, a marshall amp wouldnt I? That's pretty much the reason I'm investing in a pedalboard--to use pedals. :| Used is always an option for me, and the preferable one. Ebay and Craiglist all the way.

@Hesh: Boss pedals are top quality. A lot of musicians use them, not that I'm trying to BE like everyone...but the reviews are great. Why? What do you suggest?
Quote by SeanC15

@Quailman: What do you mean? I'll need them if I get something like say, a marshall amp wouldnt I? That's pretty much the reason I'm investing in a pedalboard--to use pedals. :| Used is always an option for me, and the preferable one. Ebay and Craiglist all the way.

If the amp you get has good built-in distortion, you won't need an additional distortion pedal. Therefore, get an amp that has a tone you like, use pedals to shape it a bit more. If you try shaping your tone entirely with pedals, you are bound to fail.
This goes for distortion/overdrive, not for any other effects like chorus/flanger, etc.

Most important thing: BUY A GOOD AMP. No amount of pedals can help you if your amp is crap. And with your current budget, your choices are very limited.
Look at craigslist. Peavey Classic 30 combos can be found for 300$. They're pretty much the standard suggestion here for rock and blues. If you boost them a little, they can do metal fairly well, too.

After that, you can save up a bit more and think about pedals. The Spider you have at the moment doesn't work well with pedals anyway, so theres no point in getting them at the moment.

Quote by SeanC15
@Hesh: Boss pedals are top quality.

The enclosures are. Now the stuff that's inside on the other hand...
Okay, it's not all bad, there's a few that I like. But the ML-2, for example, is absolutely horrendous.
Quote by SeanC15
A lot of musicians use them, not that I'm trying to BE like everyone...

It always depends on what pedal we're talking about and when it was made - vintage Boss stuff has a very good rep, many of the modern pedals are cheapish low-end products. It also depends on what amp something is hooked up to. Combined with a '68 Marshall, even a DS-1 sounds good.
Quote by SeanC15
but the reviews are great. Why? What do you suggest?

Reviews are always great, because they're written by people who bought the stuff. They're also usually written by clueless noobs. Virtually anything has good reviews. They're not a reliable source of information.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 31, 2010,
I think what hesh was trying to say was even though a lot of people use them and that boss seems great there are also a lot of other pedals out there that you should research and look into.

proguitarshop.com is a great place if you want to do some research they also have videos for most of the pedals.

Also i strongly agree with getting a new amp first but try and maybe save up a little more money because if you get a new amp that has good distortion you might not even need a distortion pedal but just a footswitch.

EDIT: Damn I was beaten to it :P ^^^
Last edited by dizzle_312 at May 31, 2010,
Quote by SeanC15

@Hesh: Boss pedals are top quality. A lot of musicians use them, not that I'm trying to BE like everyone...but the reviews are great. Why? What do you suggest?

For $300 your probably not gonna be able to afford a marshall, not even used probably unless you get ridiculously lucky or you do have another lump of cash set aside for an amp which UG can also help you with should you ask for it.

as for pedals, definitely plan on going down to a local music store and test out the pedals. and as for proguitarshop.com, +1 they have some really good video reviews of pedals and alot of stuff you won't see in big stores like guitar center that are above and beyond anything boss will ever make.
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
Quote by TheQuailman
If you try shaping your tone entirely with pedals, you are bound to fail.
This goes for distortion/overdrive, not for any other effects like chorus/flanger, etc.

I agree with everything in your post except for this. there are lots of people who get great tones out of an amp with a great clean sound and using pedals for their dirt. of course people who do that might be spending the thread starter's entire budget on a one (or maybe one and a half) good pedals. typically, yes, you want an amp with gain that you like and will use that most of the time. but getting all your dirt for pedals isnt always a bad option.
Quote by TheQuailman
If the amp you get has good built-in distortion, you won't need an additional distortion pedal. Therefore, get an amp that has a tone you like, use pedals to shape it a bit more. If you try shaping your tone entirely with pedals, you are bound to fail.

Alright, makes sense.

Quote by TheQuailman
Look at craigslist. Peavey Classic 30 combos can be found for 300$. They're pretty much the standard suggestion here for rock and blues. If you boost them a little, they can do metal fairly well, too.

Boost them? How so?

Quote by TheQuailman
The Spider you have at the moment doesn't work well with pedals anyway, so theres no point in getting them at the moment.

I'm aware. I just wanted to know more about effects pedals.

Quote by TheQuailman
But the ML-2, for example, is absolutely horrendous.
What about it makes it so horrendous?

Quote by TheQuailman
Reviews are always great, because they're written by people who bought the stuff. They're also usually written by clueless noobs. Virtually anything has good reviews. They're not a reliable source of information.

Heh, yeah I suppose you're right.
Quote by jof1029
I agree with everything in your post except for this. there are lots of people who get great tones out of an amp with a great clean sound and using pedals for their dirt. of course people who do that might be spending the thread starter's entire budget on a one (or maybe one and a half) good pedals. typically, yes, you want an amp with gain that you like and will use that most of the time. but getting all your dirt for pedals isnt always a bad option.

I agree, I guess my post was worded poorly. A good clean amp like a Fender Princeton or an AC30 will sound great with the right dirt pedal.

The problem is when people get an amp that is mediocre to begin with and want to make it sound great with pedals... like using an MG's or Spider's clean tone.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote by SeanC15
Boost them? How so?

When he says boost them he is talking about a boost/ overdrive pedal tht will allow the distortion to go beyond its capabilities allowing you to get a more metal tone or higher gain settings.
To anwer your boost question you get an overdrive and place that in front of the amp with the amps overdrive or gain turned on and that gives you a little (or alot) of umph to your sound

edit: beat me to it^^^^
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
Quote by jof1029
typically, yes, you want an amp with gain that you like and will use that most of the time. but getting all your dirt for pedals isnt always a bad option.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I made this thread. But I can see what Quailman was saying as well. I'm not trying to have a shit amp with a dozen pedals. Because I know that won't sound good either.

Just wanted a good pedalboard setup based off the type of music I'm trying to play.
Quote by SeanC15

Boost them? How so?

You put a booster pedal between your guitar and amp. The pedal makes the guitar's signal louder, which means the preamp is being driven harder, which leads to more distortion. Depending on the pedal, the tone will also be changed quite a bit. For example, it's common to use a tubescreamer (a type of overdrive pedal) when boosting an amp for metal. The tubescreamer's gain is usually rolled back, it's output volume is set fairly high - this gives you a boost that will generate more distortion from the amp, and because of the way a tubescreamer is voiced, the bass will be reduced, while the mids stay pronounced. This means that the low-end stays controllable, which is exactly what most people want for metal.
There are more neutral sounding boosters of course. Most overdrive/distortion pedals can be used for boosting. There's also EQ pedals, which allow you to adjust what frequencies will be boosted and which ones will be cut instead.

Quote by SeanC15
What about it makes it so horrendous?

It just sounds really bad.

It's often a problem with the cheaper high-gain pedals.
Quote by TheQuailman
I agree, I guess my post was worded poorly. A good clean amp like a Fender Princeton or an AC30 will sound great with the right dirt pedal.

The problem is when people get an amp that is mediocre to begin with and want to make it sound great with pedals... like using an MG's or Spider's clean tone.

Thanks for pointing that out.

i pretty much figured thats what you meant, since the cheap amp + pedals is what most people seem to do, sadly and i dont think anyone is getting a princeton reveb with $300. if they are, sign me up!

Quote by SeanC15
That's exactly what I was thinking when I made this thread. But I can see what Quailman was saying as well. I'm not trying to have a shit amp with a dozen pedals. Because I know that won't sound good either.

Just wanted a good pedalboard setup based off the type of music I'm trying to play.

yeah, having good pedals and a good amp is one thing. youve chosen some mediocre pedals and dont have a good amp though.

even on a limited budget, investing in something more like a blues junior and then some good pedals would be a good option. dont know what kind of style you are going for, but things like a nice ratt clone, a nice big muff clone or something like those. going to be a lot better than something like the metalcore.

in fact, the only pedals on your list i would consider are the bd-2 and dd-3. rest i personally would look to other pedals that are probably better. examples would be korg pitchblack instead of the tu-2 and the ehx pulsar instead of the tr-2.
Ah, thanks guys.

@Quailman:
So I guess what I'm really looking for first is a good, clean amp and possibly a tubescreamer?

@jof1029:
They're really that mediocre? Ok well I'll check out the pedals that you suggested as well.

I don't want an amp with built in distortion. It just doesnt leave alot of room for customization. So thats why Im getting rid of the spider. I'll probably get a marshall or a fender.

I don't know a whole lot about amps lol. And as you can see, I'm new to this tech stuff.
Quote by SeanC15

I don't want an amp with built in distortion. It just doesnt leave alot of room for customization. So thats why Im getting rid of the spider. I'll probably get a marshall or a fender.

Last edited by Sguit at May 31, 2010,
Quote by SeanC15
Ah, thanks guys.

@Quailman:
So I guess what I'm really looking for first is a good, clean amp and possibly a tubescreamer?

You won't really be able to get a clean amp into metal territory with a tubescreamer.

For the styles you play, the easiest (and probably cheapest) route is either a high gain amp or a medium gain one with a boost, for example a tubescreamer.

The Peavey Classic 30 I mentioned earlier does rock sounds very well, but will need a boost for metal. Same goes for a Bugera V22, which can be bought new for around 300$. The Peavey's all around nicer, but the Bugera's not exactly bad, either. Both are worth checking out.

A good cheap pedal for boosting is the Digitech Bad Monkey, as is the Boss SD-1 (not DS-1!). The BD-2 you listed in your OP would also qualify. All of them are overdrive pedals, but with their gain rolled back and the volume set high, they function well for boosting.

If you can save up a bit more, the Bugera 6262 and 333 combos will do metal on their own very well, even without a boost. They're not as great for lighter stuff as the other two amps though.
Quote by SeanC15

I don't know a whole lot about amps lol. And as you can see, I'm new to this tech stuff.

Unless you have an ass-load of money to spend on a good clean amp and a good pedal, you're better off buying something with built-in distortion.

The Spider sucks because, well... it's a Spider. Don't judge other amps on that standard.

When people want distorted tones, they're better off getting an amp that is made for that sound in most cases.
Quote by SeanC15
Haha, excuse my ignorant comment.

Haha, it's fine, but yeah my point is that Marshalls are recognized for their distortion tones, so yeah, if you want a clean then you wan something like a Fender Twin Reverb but like Quailman said buy something that has the tones that you like then buy pedals if needed.