I play hard rock and a little metal, also rock. My band is getting good and I need an upgrade from my line 6. So I'd like a combo or half stack. I've heard great things about the peavey jsx, peavey xxx, mesas, carvin v3 and marshall jcm 900 and 2000. I'd like opinions on these amps. What about engls? Any ideas would be appreciated. I feel that my bands style is a mix between 80s thrash/metal like metallica and more modern sounding bands like dream theater. I love petrucci's tone and really he is my favorite guitarist. I would just get his gear but that stuff is way out of my budget. I just want a nice high gain amp that is capable of cleaning up well and do some rock-blues stuff too. Thanks!
1100 what?

If its dollars and you can go used the Mark III is right up your alley
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Peavey XXX is one of the most versatile high gain amps I've played. Great crunch, tons of gain, great clean channel. You should be able to pick up a XXX head and a nice cab for $1100. I got my XXX head and mesa 412 for $800.
Ok I'm just really hesitant to buy something without trying it so I liked the jcm 2000 because they are all over the place. So would you recommend the mark 3 combo or head? Or does it matter?
I'd go for the Mark III over the JCM2000 series. Marshall make fantastic amps, but the JCM2000 series isn't the greatest, at least the TSL isn't. Mesa Mark III's usually sell for around $800 - $900 used and they are common so you shouldn't have to look for long.

The used market is your best friend if you treat it properly, make sure to test everything you buy extensively and don't be afraid to say no. Look at everything from local music shops and the GC used section, to craigslist and you will find what you're looking for.
and the mark 3 has enough gain for thrash and hard rock right? What would be a fair price for a mark 3?
First I would suggest that you look at used and not new, craigslist is the absolute best place to buy music equipment. In particular these would be good amps to look at

Peavey 5150, 6505, XXX, Valveking, Ultra, VTM(These are the old version of the 5150, you can get them real cheap like $250 and they still sound good)
Marshall JCM900/2000, JMD, MA, JVM
Bugera 1990(pretty much a jcm900 clone for half the price)
Look at Laney and Orange as well
Quote by hellraiser11
and the mark 3 has enough gain for thrash and hard rock right? What would be a fair price for a mark 3?

it can go Thrash and Hard Rock

well it depends what version Mark III you found but for an estimate i would say 650ish-900
feel free to add me
I REALLY liked the JCM I played. So much, It was put on lay-away almost immediately. It was a great amp. It had a great heavy sound, But I could still get a great classic rock and Blues sound out of it. It was a pretty bad ass amp.
Also i was wondering something...I like the mark 3 and all but those are kind of old right? I mean they're like 20+ years old. Is it really that good that it can rival the high end amps of today?
Quote by hellraiser11
Also i was wondering something...I like the mark 3 and all but those are kind of old right? I mean they're like 20+ years old. Is it really that good that it can rival the high end amps of today?

some people still uses amps from the late 50's early 60's and they still work fine. the Mark III has quality parts and components so it wont break down on you like most cheap tube amps today.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
some people still uses amps from the late 50's early 60's and they still work fine. the Mark III has quality parts and components so it wont break down on you like most cheap tube amps today.

Pretty much this. Tubes are a very old technology; nobody is really making advances in tube amplifier circuitry, so you can't compare tube amps to, say, televisions, where newer is almost always better in terms of technology and quality. The Mark III is a great amp no matter what, and it's certainly going to rival high-end tube amps of today. Some people even prefer the Mark III to the Mark IV.

That said, I wouldn't go so far as to say that most tube amps in the $900 range are gonna be cheap in quality, used or new. It's pretty hard overall to screw up a tube amp, unless you use downright cheap parts. Still, those amps cost a fraction of what quality amps are gonna cost you.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Thanks but I 've been looking all over the place and cant find many mark 3s...mostly because they ceased production a while back but whats a good place to find one? Craigslist?
yes look for it @ C-list
feel free to add me