Page 1 of 2
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/31/hobbit-director-quits-guillermo-del-toro

Yes folks, del Toro is no longer to direct the Hobbit. Any ideas on who should replace him? Personally I think Peter Jackson should do it, if they decide to go ahead with it.

The article mentions Michael Bay... I swear if that man goes anywhere near the project he will ruin it beyond comprehension.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: http://www.collider.com/2010/05/31/the-hobbit-guillermo-del-toro-peter-jackson-alfonso-cuaron-sam-raimi-steven-spielberg/

For those who cba to read the link, it's a list of suggestions that could spark some discussion:

Obvious first choice:
Peter Jackson (LOTR, King Kong)

Wish list:
Alfonso Cuarón (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Children of Men)
Neill Blomkamp (District 9)
David Yates (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)
Sam Raimi (Spiderman)

Unrealistic wish list:
Steven Spielberg (Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan)
JJ Abrams (Star Trek, Lost)
Last edited by Random3 at May 31, 2010,
Peter Jackson is the obvious choice.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by archangels666

I don't understand why Peter Jackson wasn't doing it in the first place. He did such a good job with the trilogy, why not have him make the prequel?

He might not want to, I mean he's accomplished more than he thought possible and the whole LOTR project took like 7 years of solid work. But I agree, if anyone does it it has to be Jackson.
Mel ****ing Gibson.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Quote by Random3
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/31/hobbit-director-quits-guillermo-del-toro

Yes folks, del Toro is no longer to direct the Hobbit. Any ideas on who should replace him? Personally I think Peter Jackson should do it, if they decide to go ahead with it.

The article mentions Michael Bay... I swear if that man goes anywhere near the project he will ruin it beyond comprehension.

Any suggestions?

OH GOD OH MAN OH GOD OH MAN

Seriously? It'll be like 5 minutes of intro and then 2 hours of Smaug blowing shit up!

Edit: I just told my mum about it and she facepalmed and said "Oh no..."
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at May 31, 2010,
Oh god, I can see it now...

"Coming this Fall... Tim Burton's... The Hobbit... starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter"
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by Scutchington
Oh god, I can see it now...

"Coming this Fall... Tim Burton's... The Hobbit... starring Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzLRP8e4vE

There'll be crooked windows everywhere!
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Peter Jackson might night do it because he's already producing it. I dunno if he wants that kind of stress for two more movies and 6 more years of work.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
I think it'd be awesomely hilarious if Tarantino or Bay directed it.

Can you say best accidental comedy ever?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Whoever directed Die Hard.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I would love to see Spielberg do it, but I don't think that would happen. Peter Jackson should just go ahead and do it.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at May 31, 2010,
Quote by imthehitcher
Terry Gilliam

FUCK YES, THIS

seriously, Gilliam is the one to do it. The Hobbit is much more a children's story than LOTR, and I think Gilliam would treat it in the true spirit of the source material.
Jackson probably will not want to, but I'd also settle for him, although I'm afraid that he'll make it too much like LOTR, when the Hobbit is in a completely different style and has a totally different tone.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 31, 2010,
My initial reaction was "Any ****er but Bay", but then I thought about it and... yeah, anyone but Bay and I'll be happy... Although somehow Rob Zombie and The Hobbit aren't gonna go well together...
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Since Jackson is already a producer he may just decide to direct it. That would be the ideal situation.

I think Ridley Scott would be a great choice to direct it.

He's working on two Alien prequels that are supposed to be out in 2011 and 2012 though, so he might be too busy.

Or get Tarantino to do it. I think he would do an interesting job with it.
Quote by Korzack
My initial reaction was "Any ****er but Bay", but then I thought about it and... yeah, anyone but Bay and I'll be happy... Although somehow Rob Zombie and The Hobbit aren't gonna go well together...

Rob Zombie's The Hobbit

Sounds hilarious.

I can see the tags for posters now.

"Action!"

"Romance!"

"Blood!"

"Sex!"

"Got your attention yet?! NO?! How about some more ****ing Action and Blood? We'll even throw in topless women and ****ing werewolves!"
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Quote by imthehitcher
Terry Gilliam

+ infinity
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Jackson would do a kickass job for sure. Raimi is an interesting idea, he could probably add some bizarre humour and horror feel tom some scenes.

Terry Gilliam would be so wrong for this. He'd just fill the hobit pipes with opium or something and send them off on some weird trip. Plus his movies always feel like they' 5 hours long.
Nonononono... Del Toro is the absolute, be-all and end-all when it comes to creating entire believable worlds. This sucks!

Terry Gilliam, IF he was held in check by Peter Jackson. Why cant Guillermo stay on as an art director or something? Guys a genius.
...In my opinion.
People seem to forget how spielberg ****ed up his own masterpiece 'Star wars'. I'm not overly excited about him. Peter Jackson know how to portray this kind of movie. The other directers are alright but the chance that they will produce something really epic, like out of proportion epic, is really small.
The corners of your mouth feel dry and rather itchy, don't they?

(oh god, I just noticed this one) Your penis is never quite comfortable in its current position.

oh btw:
manual blinking activated
+1 to Peter Jackson, just hope it wont delay it until past 2013.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I want the obvious choice...Peter Jackson.

He did such a great job with the Lord of the Rings, it
seems that just should be the man behind the camera for this.

I was kinda hoping to see del Toro put a darker tone on the story though...sort of like he did with Pan's Labyrinth.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Actually, I'd take a 2-3 year delay on the release if it meant Jackson would be able to direct it.
Quote by Will-kun
People seem to forget how spielberg ****ed up his own masterpiece 'Star wars'. I'm not overly excited about him. Peter Jackson know how to portray this kind of movie. The other directers are alright but the chance that they will produce something really epic, like out of proportion epic, is really small.

Spielberg? Star Wars?

I'm honestly surprised by this. Sure, Del Toro has never truly felt comfortable in the studio system and has preferred his own vision, but I never thought he'd quit.

As a replacement?

People who are saying Gilliam need to think about it. No. Let him mess up his own movies.

With the script already in the bag all that's needed is a steady hand. So Cuarón or Blomkamp would fit very well, with the former already having good experience with a well known-franchise.
Quote by daytripper75
Actually, I'd take a 2-3 year delay on the release if it meant Jackson would be able to direct it.

Ah well, as long as Ian McKellen is still around..
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Will-kun

Lucas (of Star Wars) ****ed up Spielbergs masterpiece Indiana Jones, dammit.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Quote by archangels666

I don't understand why Peter Jackson wasn't doing it in the first place. He did such a good job with the trilogy, why not have him make the prequel?

I know he got severely ripped off by making those films...
Peter Jackson.
Quote by jimmyled
You have a Badger Song avatar!!!!!

Quote by Oprah
VAJAYJAY

Monkey Ball Sack

Quote by RageAgnstUrJaw
Lucas (of Star Wars) ****ed up Spielbergs masterpiece Indiana Jones, dammit.

The first 3 movies were great.

The 4th...well, it was interesting to say the least.
Who did the last Harry Potter movie? If he was given free reign im sure he could do a fine job.

Guillermo Del Toro is my favourite film maker, I was really looking forward to his presentation of this =[
...In my opinion.
Quote by Jehuty
Benicio del Toro.

Yeah I said it.
Totally. He was perfect for it. I'm bummed that he's no longer involved.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Kevin Smith would be an interesting one
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
Page 1 of 2