Hello ^^,
What do you think about this set of Guitar +Amplifier for the use of Metal and less heavy rock (My Cheimcal Romance \ Guns and Roses style).

Guitar : Gibson SG Special Faded.
Amplifier: VOX VT AD30-XL.

Thank you :-D
isnt the ad30 a modeling amp?
im sure it has a metal setting but i dont know how good it would be
sounds great for classic rock stuff. not so much for metal though imo
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
sounds great for classic rock stuff. not so much for metal though imo

+1

I know the old XL series was designed for metal tones, but it's kinda meh. The newer VT30 is better. If MCR/GnR sounds are your tonal quintessence, I'd advise you to go for a small tube amp instead. Depending on your location, there's different stuff that can be found for good prices.
Well the Vox AD30XL can make "Enter Sandman" sound with one of its metal amp models.
Is there another amp that you recommend about that can make both metal sound and normal rock sound?

Btw let me tell you about the prices:
Gibson SG Special Faded - 1054$(USD)
Vox VT AD30-XL - 460$(USD)
(I live in Israel so everything is quite more expensive than other places).

Thanks for your responses :-)
The last question:

which one of those don't fit to metal,
the guitar or the amplifier?

amp probably. the sg is more of a rock guitar than metal, but it'd work (test it first, though, the sg faded special i tried sounded really nice, but had dodgy fretwork, ditto a lot of the other special fadeds i've tried).

can you get roland in israel? i can never remember if roland is one of the ones you can get easily in israel or not. What about peavey? i seem to remember you can get them, a vypyr might be worth a look (i haven't tried the vypyr, though).

EDIT: i haven't tried the xl valvetronixes, just the normal ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
amp probably. the sg is more of a rock guitar than metal, but it'd work (test it first, though, the sg faded special i tried sounded really nice, but had dodgy fretwork, ditto a lot of the other special fadeds i've tried).

can you get roland in israel? i can never remember if roland is one of the ones you can get easily in israel or not. What about peavey? i seem to remember you can get them, a vypyr might be worth a look (i haven't tried the vypyr, though).

EDIT: i haven't tried the xl valvetronixes, just the normal ones.

In Israel we have all brands, but this what the seller suggested to me.
I don't trust sellers - that's why I come to the internet.
ok. i just remembered a couple of threads from a while back where it said some brands weren't easy to come by. the guy who made the thread might just have been in a different city, lol.

look into those other options I suggested if you can get them.

what other guitar brands can you get easily?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok. i just remembered a couple of threads from a while back where it said some brands weren't easy to come by. the guy who made the thread might just have been in a different city, lol.

look into those other options I suggested if you can get them.

what other guitar brands can you get easily?

Hmm I don't live in a central city either, but we do have 3 instruments shops here.
I can easily get Fender,Ibanez,Gibson,Jackson,Schechter,ESP those I recall.
about Amplifiers: Peavy,Marshall,Roland,Fender,Vox,Laney,Ibanez, those I recall.

I've tried once LTD Viper 100fm - which sounds really bad, and some people from the internet told me that LTD "just looks good, but sounds and feels quite bad" - what do you think about this?

And any suggestions btw? Thank you!
Last edited by talss at Jun 1, 2010,
If your just starting out, can't go wrong with a peavey vypyr.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by talss
Hmm I don't live in a central city either, but we do have 3 instruments shops here.
I can easily get Fender,Ibanez,Gibson,Jackson,Schechter,ESP those I recall.
about Amplifiers: Peavy,Marshall,Roland,Fender,Vox,Laney,Ibanez, those I recall.

I've tried once LTD Viper 100fm - which sounds really bad, and some people from the internet told me that LTD "just looks good, but sounds and feel quite bad" - what do you think about this?

And any suggestions btw? Thank you!

i haven't really tried any of the cheaper LTDs... Only really tried an ec1000 (they're pretty expensive here in the UK, and other brands are better value, so I don't have too much experience with them). I think the general consensus is that they get good at the 400 series, but that's just what I've heard.

Out of those, check out the roland cubes and peavey vypyrs I mentioned... maybe check out the laneys too, they've come out with a new modelling amp recently (but i haven't tried it). i know their tube amps are quite good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At the beginning I was thinking about the Roland Cube 30X,
but the seller told me that for 50$ more I can buy the VOX VT AD30XL which has 22 amp modeling.

I will definitely check out the Peavy vypyr as an amp.

But what do you think about the guitar? I tried the Gibson SG Special Faded , it sounded good and was very comfortable,
but some said here that it's good enough for metal.

do you have any other suggestions?
if you liked the gibson, by all means get it. just try out as many other guitars which have humbuckers which are roughly in the same price range in case you find something you like more.

the vox has more amp models (i haven't tried that exact one), but that won't matter if the amp models aimed at the type of music you want to play aren't as good. I'm not saying they won't be, but it's something to keep in mind. 5 good amp models are better than 10 mediocre ones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I rather buy something better than Epiphone,
My parents said that this will be my guitar+amp for the next 3-5 years,
and I don't want to spend a 1000$ on something that will sound like crap for me next year.
If you love the SG, go for it!
I'd say get the cheapest, lower watt modeling amp (vypyr is better for metal) for practicing and save the money you have left over and save up to get a tube amp of some sort