ok so i got most of the wires in correctly but im trying to solder the pickup wire to the volume pot (like in EMG's diagram) but the solder wont stick to the pot.

i have done some searches and some suggest that its because i have the wrong solder... all it says on the dispenser is

"S05 Dencon lead free solder dispenser sn-0.75Cu 1.0mm (approx. 13.2grams)"

any ideas??? i have done a google search on it but i cant find out if it is rosin based or acid based.
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
acid core IS NOT for electronic work. NEVER use it.

scrape the pot casing with smt sharp until you get a nice big area of shiny metal and try it again.

if you're using silver solder, it's that much harder to deal with, so yeah. fyi.
Agreed with Invader Jim. Just scrape the contact until you have a fresh layer of metal to solder to.

I use 60/40 lead based solder
60% tin and 40% lead resin
thats the thing.... i dont know if it is acid core or not.... i asked for solder and the guy said "plumbing of electric" "electric" *hands over really cheap looking solder*

i just dont know.... i shall have a trip to B&Q at some point to have a look for a differnt type of solder then =/
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Your soldering iron may not be hot enough. I use a slightly bigger/hotter iron for tinning the top of the pots. You may have to just hold your iron on the pot long enough for it to heat up - but obviously not too long lol.

I also agree with the scraping of the top of the pot. You must be quite forecful, get right through the coating thats on them till there is a shiny area.

Good luck!
use tin/lead solder, rosin core.
best method ** Make sure the tip of the soldering iron is nice and clean, if it is temperature adjustable adjust it to roughly 350c tin the end of the soldering iron, not too much, then put it where you want to solder to, no wires yet.. leave it for 4-5 seconds, then push solder under the tip of the soldering iron, what this does is uses the rosin core of the solder to clean the metal that you are soldering to, remove the heat once the solder sticks.
once you have solder on the pot then you can tin the end of the wire you are soldering and then solder it to the pot by briefly re melting the solder on the pot.
Good luck.
Last edited by guitargeek89 at May 31, 2010,
thanks everybody! just ordered some 63/37 off ebay so ill update it when i have had some luck.... you should also expect another thread some time in the next week titled:

"It Just Exploded..."
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
ok thanks for the help everyone! i successfully fitted EMG60/81's into a 10 year old LTD EX250 =) and it works like a charm =)
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band