Playing at low volumes is for pussies. Being deaf sucks.
I once read somewhere where Lars Ulrich was speaking about the band wearing special earplugs when playing to protect themselves from further deafness. Pete Townsend on the other hand is deaf as a moldy brick and can not even verbally communicate with other people at normal your-average-conversation volumes.
I created this thread to know how you guys out there protect yourself from LOUD NOISES!
I stick foam in my ears.

Also Sennheiser HD-280's.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Earplugs. Theyre small, and with the right colors they will not be seen, so your not a pussy. Ive been contemplating wearing them because after band practice I have to talk waayyy to loud to hear myself
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Earplugs.

You can get some specially molded to fit your ear. Not sure how much it costs, though.

approximately 200-300$
You get it done at the same doctors who do the hearing aids.
great thread just because it really is true. i've got a pair of ear plugs but can't remember where they are now. it's been a long time since i played any where live, so i haven't needed them.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
When I'm playing at loud volumes at home, I use a pair of ear-muff like ear defenders that I have for shooting. They work fine, infact maybe a little too well....
I never wore ear protection until we started playing with this new drummer.

I've got to turn my 50 watt valveking up to 7 just to hear myself at all. Loud as hell in a small room. Who cares about "looking like a pussy". I'll save my ears and **** anyone who says i shouldn't.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by robhc
When I'm playing at loud volumes at home, I use a pair of ear-muff like ear defenders that I have for shooting. They work fine, infact maybe a little too well....

I found muffs to give the best results as well. You hear the music but not the noise.

Reminded me the days when I was a kid in a cover band. We would wrap sweaters around our heads during practice))))
Just get some normal ear plugs that you can pick up from any hardware shop, they only cost like £2 for half decent ones that are able to reduce volumes by about 32dB. Unless you do one day find yourself on a massive stadium or have the need and money for some custom fitted ones.
They are a very good investment. I uset to do alot of gigs and still do though now I'm more often behind the desk then on the stage, I use ear plugs all the time though and I really think that my hearing would of suffered if i'd neglected to use them.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Last edited by sepultura alma at May 31, 2010,
If you rehearse and play live a lot, you might want to invest in those that are fit to your ears. I got them via school for about 120€, and I must say I've never left for a band rehearsal/gig/club since. Sure, they're expensive, but they'll save your hearing.
Of course, you could get less expensive ones (like those yellow ones that you have to squish and stick in there, Earwave I think?), but those are made for construction workers, not musicians. It's true that they keep a lot of dB out of your ears, but they aren't balanced and therefore give an untrue representation of sound and tone.
The ones I have (and I presume most custom fitted musicians' plugs) are balanced to give the best possible protection with the best possible sound quality; which is what you want!
If you put something in your ear no matter how expensive it is it's going to change the sound. but yes i do agree that you should go for balanced ones if you can which are still only about £10 a pair and are in most music shops.

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by sepultura alma
If you put something in your ear no matter how expensive it is it's going to change the sound.

As you're posting this directly under me instead of editing it into your previous message, I'm just going to assume you directed this at me.

Now, I never said it didn't change the sound, nor did I imply that you could prevent the changing of sound as you pay more cash. However, there is a clear and definitive difference between 'construction workers plugs' and 'musician's plugs'. Of course, the latter will change the sound as well, but in a much smaller way than the first. The custom-moulded earplugs, fitted with a balanced filter, that I have are so comfortable and produce such a minimal alteration in sound, that I often find myself still wearing them when I'm all ready to leave the rehearsal room. The cheap, yellow construction plugs become annoying to wear, and seem to 'EQ' the incoming sound so drastically, that using them over my 'expensive' ones has become a nuisance. It's not even a fair battle.

Have you tried the expensive, custom plugs? Have you directly compared them to 'cheap' plugs? If both are a yes, and you haven't noticed the difference, I think the protection was late for you as well...
If you've never tried them, I urge you, do so! You'll find it worth your money.
Last edited by Y00p at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Grimriffer
You get it done at the same doctors who do the hearing aids.

Hearing aids? Sounds nasty
I have tried both and there is of course a massive difference but on stage (sorry but I'm assuming that most! people on this forum are quite young or do small pub gigs and such) you don't have as much need for custom fitted ones as the sound you hear on stage is usually alot different tonally than what the audience hears anyway.

Edit. I do use custom ones because I work mostly as a sound engineer and need to hear the full range of what's going on so I can hear to correct any problems. what I was saying though is that if your not a massive act and just need protection from becoming deaf you can get ear plugs cheap you don't have to spend a fortune, balanced ones also don't cost very much which I agree are worth the extra few £ for.

Ps. Sorry for the misunderstandings Y00p.

Ibanez RGA-8
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by Jackamedmos
Hearing aids? Sounds nasty

I don't need hearing aids lol. I meant getting a mold for for your custom fitted earplugs.
I try to use the earplugs only on stage or any other live situations. The rest of the time I play in muffs. The reason behind this is that sticking anything IN your ear increases your chances on getting an ear infection.
i use really good earplugs because i tend to practice with really loud volumes... and get complaints from the neighbors sometimes.. no joke!
Quote by SilverRock113
i use really good earplugs because i tend to practice with really loud volumes... and get complaints from the neighbors sometimes.. no joke!

atleast the plugs block out the complaints lol
Can anyone shoot me a cheap brand that doesn't muffle the sound as much as really cheap construction worker ones, but aren't ridiculously expensive.
Quote by sepultura alma
I have tried both and there is of course a massive difference but on stage (sorry but I'm assuming that most! people on this forum are quite young or do small pub gigs and such) you don't have as much need for custom fitted ones as the sound you hear on stage is usually alot different tonally than what the audience hears anyway.

Edit. I do use custom ones because I work mostly as a sound engineer and need to hear the full range of what's going on so I can hear to correct any problems. what I was saying though is that if your not a massive act and just need protection from becoming deaf you can get ear plugs cheap you don't have to spend a fortune, balanced ones also don't cost very much which I agree are worth the extra few £ for.

Ps. Sorry for the misunderstandings Y00p.

Then we agree, no problem.
With your earlier post I thought you were completely dismissing any and all advantages that came with the more expensive, custom plugs.

regular earplugs work well for me but i do not wear them all the time.
if i play once without them i do however notice the difference afterwards being unable to hear certain pitches.

low volume ain't for pussies but it's just a fact that every amp sounds at her best when cranked a little more right? =)
as everyone has said, i think earplugs are probably one of the most important pieces of equipment in any musicians arsenal.

start using them now before its too late, i actually need earplugs because i have sensitive hearing, and my left ear drum has a hole in it
i'm pretty much deaf, so who gives a ****. but you should protect your ears and not **** up like i did.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Hi Fi Earplugs. I'm partial to Hearo's. Run you about 10 bucks.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Good point. Loud music can lead to deafness. I would wear ear plugs. The kind that are foam and can expand to fit your ear canal.

ron666
Shure sells noise blocking headphones that are high-end monitor headphones with different sizes and style of earplugs to fit your ear best.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Can anyone shoot me a cheap brand that doesn't muffle the sound as much as really cheap construction worker ones, but aren't ridiculously expensive.

read the reviews...

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-White/dp/B0015WJQ66
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I just picked up a 25 cent pair of molding-foam ear plugs. Where I have tinnitus they are great so I don't have to "WAT U SAY???" after every song my band practices
i tried to use shooting ear muffs, cuz earplug are kind of a hassle to get in, but i noticed the muffs were blocking out too much of the sound so IMHO earplugs are the best option
I bought earplugs from a music store to use for gigs and band practise. They have better sound quality the the foam ear protection plugs I use in my day job in a ship yard.