I am looking for a Marshall all-valve 50W combo amp that is versatile. I will be playing everything from AC/DC to Green Day with a Les Paul Standard. What I need is good overdrive. Price range would have to be around 700-1000. I will also be using the amp for small gigs. Any suggestions?
I have been looking at the MA50C and the Marshall JMD501.
Any recommendations?
JCM800
JCM900
JVM205
Vintage Modern

You shouldn't restrict yourself to just marshall though try out some other brands too like an Orange or something
Let me guess: you want a Marshall just so you can impress your friends?

If not than I'd really like to know a reason as to why you'd want a Marshall over a better but similarly priced amp.
The JMD501 isn't an all valve amplifier, so if you're looking for an all valve, don't buy that.

You're probably better off going used if you want Marshall really, I find that the newer models are over-priced and not even that good.

You should also definatly look at other brands, Marshall badges arn't that cool.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
are you willing to go used? The MA series is pretty good to me for being Marshall's budget tube range. I tested one out in a Guitar Center and while it isnt as good as classic Marshalls, for the price i loved it. but as DavidMW said there are other brands that will get the job done as well or even better than a Marshall.
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
I'm presuming he means £s cause the JMD is a lot more than 700-1000 in $s.

Personally, I dig a good Marshall, so I'd see if I could find a used Marshall JMP 2x12" combo from the 70s. There are plenty available if you look around, such as this one
http://cardiff.gumtree.com/cardiff/95/58073695.html

Which is the same amp used by Angus Young throughout most of his career (albeit with a different speaker). If you can't find a JMP, an early JCM800, or a Vintage Modern, would do fine. However, also check out:
Orange
Laney
VHT (also known as Fryette)
and some Marshall clones
What is the unit of your currency?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
so i take you want that good ole british tone, marshalls are great, but always try a marshall first, ive noticed JCM800s right off the line together have completely different tonal qualities, im a fan of the jcm800 2205s, the jcm900s, the new vintage moderns are simply amazing, ive tried the JVM series and honestly im not overall impressed with the tone, its more bells and whistles and cuts from the tone abit, also like said above, dont over look Laney, Orange, Blackstar or Vox either, each amp has certain pros and cons, so i suggest trying them all to find what works best for you style and picking attack
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
good sir, what is the legal tender in thy fine but arcane land?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Verily, we must know this, so that we might help thee.

Yes, we must. thou will hath no help otherwise
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
damn whats with the marshall hate? if hes done some lookin around and decided on marshall then why try to convince him to buy something he doesn't want? and don't most of those brands have a marshall clone in some way? why get a clone when you can get the original?

edit: jcm 800 will suit you just fine.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by drugfreeboy
damn whats with the marshall hate? if hes done some lookin around and decided on marshall then why try to convince him to buy something he doesn't want? and don't most of those brands have a marshall clone in some way? why get a clone when you can get the original?

edit: jcm 800 will suit you just fine.

these days, the clones are just as good or better than the "originals." marshall isnt putting out affordable amps with their sought after vintage tone these days, other guys are. if you want the original just because it says marshall on it, go ahead. lots of other people would rather have the right tone than the right brand.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
I'm presuming he means £s cause the JMD is a lot more than 700-1000 in $s.

Personally, I dig a good Marshall, so I'd see if I could find a used Marshall JMP 2x12" combo from the 70s. There are plenty available if you look around, such as this one
http://cardiff.gumtree.com/cardiff/95/58073695.html

Which is the same amp used by Angus Young throughout most of his career (albeit with a different speaker). If you can't find a JMP, an early JCM800, or a Vintage Modern, would do fine. However, also check out:
Orange
Laney
VHT (also known as Fryette)
and some Marshall clones

Pretty sure Angus uses his JTM45 more than his JMP, actually, but they both have a similar sound.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Bostonrocks
Yes, we must. thou will hath no help otherwise

fail early modern english verb construction EDIT: make that modern english verb construction too.

Quote by jof1029
these days, the clones are just as good or better than the "originals." marshall isnt putting out affordable amps with their sought after vintage tone these days, other guys are. if you want the original just because it says marshall on it, go ahead. lots of other people would rather have the right tone than the right brand.

exactly. and especially if you're in the US, there are a lot of brands doing the modern thing a lot better than marshall too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 31, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
fail

what are thous talking of?

Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
^
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Dave_Mc
fail early modern english verb construction EDIT: make that modern english verb construction too.

exactly. and especially if you're in the US, there are a lot of brands doing the modern thing a lot better than marshall too.

Don't patronize me. I'M AMERICAN FOR A REASON!

bubbs: agreed

EDIT: lulz @ my epic failure
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
ah, i edited my post slightly.

first of all, the second verb takes the infinitive (i assume it's the same in early modern english). Secondly, thou ends in "st", not "th"... hath is, erm, i'm getting confused now.

to wikipedia!

EDIT: it'd be something like "thou willst have".

EDIT #2: aye, according to wiki, third person (he/she/it) takes th at the end.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, i edited my post slightly.

first of all, the second verb takes the infinitive (i assume it's the same in early modern english). Secondly, thou ends in "st", not "th"... hath is, erm, i'm getting confused now.

to wikipedia!

EDIT: it'd be something like "thou willst have".

I lol'd
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
forsooth, sirrah!

EDIT: egad, verily have we (I) led this thread astray.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
forsooth, sirrah!

EDIT: egad, verily have we (I) led this thread astray.

fo shizzle dawg
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?