K, today, i had an attempt at recording a song. i had a simple drum beat made on a drum machine to work over, and then tried this riff i made up over it. it osunded so far for mwhat i wanted, and i got so wound up about it. I feel like ive got to slow down a bit, but i dont want to start looping useless stuff so i dont progress.

Here's my situation, i would like to learn how to play all aspects of metal guitar, and at least be satisfied with what i come up with. I see all these riffs like the main riff of "The metal" from tenacious D, or the opening riff of "Number of the Beast" by iron maiden, I play them, and then tihnk "MY god, its such a simple, but great riff". But whenever i try to make up sometihng, it just doesnt sound right to me.

I would basically like to know what i should be doing which will allow me to improve in the best way for an amateur metal artist to improve.

I would at least be satisfied if i can come up with riffs a good as the guitar in psychosocial by Slipknot (heres a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrO83v6X8lI&feature=related). This is the sort of stuff i'd like to be able to make.

I also find it difficult to make up stuff to go over rhythm. Even if its as simple as the 6 note lead bits over the intro of "The last fight" by Bullet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThPQepODHOA around 20 seocnds in)

I know loads of scales, and recite them a lot. I also know a fair ammount of other theory. I just need to know what i can do to get to where i want to be.

Ive given you all the information i can give. Thanks for any help
1) Learn and analyse loads of songs that have what you're looking for.

2) Write endlessly, and while doing so, remember it's going to take you a while to get decent.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
1) Learn and analyse loads of songs that have what you're looking for.

2) Write endlessly, and while doing so, remember it's going to take you a while to get decent.

kk, i get really wound up by it lol. It's funny how even tohugh i know a whole scale, i can't make anytihhng good from it :/
Quote by dragozan
kk, i get really wound up by it lol. It's funny how even tohugh i know a whole scale, i can't make anytihhng good from it :/

You know the alphabet, right? When's the last time you wrote a good book?

Same difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You know the alphabet, right? When's the last time you wrote a good book?

Same difference.

among the biggest +1's I´ve ever given will fall to this
You like it
Quote by linus.d
among the biggest +1's I´ve ever given will fall to this

among the biggest +1s anyone ever gives go to seagull. i have to say, his analogies are flawless time after time.

listen to the seagull, TS.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Also, you have to remember that even they guys coming up with the awesome riffs have off days. You have to make up alot of crap to get anything good

I don't think this rule applies to Tony Iommi though...