Last night I went and purchased my very first guitar. I've been researching for a while and last night I pulled the trigger. I got home and played for about 1 1/2 hours... Got up this morning and played for another hour or so before work... I plan on putting in 1-2 hours again tonight... My finger tips hurt, I swear I can still feel the strings in them, and both my fretting forearm and wrist are both a bit stiff. Having said that I'm completely hooked and can't wait to get home to play some more. I'm using justinguitar as a tutor... So far I have chords D, E, and A remembered in my head.. It takes me a while to finger them, but I can do them all without looking... I can't wait to keep progressing and learn a few songs...

Thanks to everyone who helped me out, and thanks to justinguitar.com!
Quote by thfc1799
Last night I went and purchased my very first guitar. I've been researching for a while and last night I pulled the trigger. I got home and played for about 1 1/2 hours... Got up this morning and played for another hour or so before work... I plan on putting in 1-2 hours again tonight... My finger tips hurt, I swear I can still feel the strings in them, and both my fretting forearm and wrist are both a bit stiff. Having said that I'm completely hooked and can't wait to get home to play some more. I'm using justinguitar as a tutor... So far I have chords D, E, and A remembered in my head.. It takes me a while to finger them, but I can do them all without looking... I can't wait to keep progressing and learn a few songs...

Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
You've been here since 07????

and you're just learning now???

I dunno if I've been transported back in time, or I've gone bat shit crazy, but eitherway
me = confused
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Don't worry, it will stop hurting after a while. Also, don't stop practicing!
Quote by damole
what is fap?
Either he is using another guys profile or maybe this is a case of product placement.
lol... sorry guys, I'm using my roomates profile lol... didn't mean to confuse anyone.
Quote by thfc1799

Good for you dude! But don't play so much right away that you start getting pains in your hands/arms. What you're doing is new to you and just like working out, you need to take precautions in order to not injure yourself. Be sure to stretch out your fingers/hands/arms before playing. Get everything good and limber then have at it. You can do damage to yourself if you go too hog wild right away, as fun and rewarding as it is. If you need help with anything, we're here for you. Keep jammin'!
The pain in your fingertips is normal when you first start playing; you're developing callouses on your fingertips. In a while, you'll feel the strings but it shouldn't hurt.

Oh, and as for a pain in your wrist/arm...This might because you might be keeping your arm/wrist/fingers/whatever too tense. Don't be tense when playing guitar, it will only cause you pain and lead to problems down the road. However, it might be because you're getting used to fretting and whatnot, or a technique issue. If you feel tense when playing, then I'd say, just loosen up; relax and play. But yes, your fingertips should hurt for a little while.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
how long is a little while? couple weeks? I've heard of people using liquid skin does that work?
i messed up my wrist and elbow doing what you're doing - i'm an experienced player, but had been playing less than usual for a while, and when i got a new guitar i couldn't stop playing - and was unable to play at all for a month, and then only a few minutes a day for a while longer.

you can damage the tendons in your wrist. why not take a day off, then play no more than half an hour a day for a week, build up to 45 minutes a day after that week if all pain is gone except a little pain in your fingertips, and keep building up each week as long as there's no wrist, elbow or finger muscle pain.
yea.. makes sense... I'm really addicted right now... I'm having a hard time walking past it without picking it up and messing with it for a little... driving my girlfriend nuts!
Quote by thfc1799
how long is a little while? couple weeks? I've heard of people using liquid skin does that work?

I wouldn't bother with that stuff. Just keep playing and your callouses will get there. Really within a few days I started noticing my fingers felt different and after a while they just toughened up. I don't really know how long a while is, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everybody had made it to be.

Good luck! And congrats on picking up the guitar. You'll love it forever.