I have a Peavey Bandit, and I'm planning on getting a new guitar by the end of summer. I almost have a fifth of the cost

But I'm curious, and I think it's a good question

Would the EMG cause my amp to clip? I'd try out some guitars with EMG's through this amp at GC but they don't carry my amp.

The guitar in mind is a Schecter Damien Solo Elite, which has EMG 81/85. I'm not totally concerned about the sound, because anyone who knows how to work and EQ can make a guitar sound nice.

So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks UG'ers, and cheers!
Quote by thamason69
don't think it should, i thought EMG were meant to be sick though a trans tube

I was thinking there really wouldn't be that much of a problem either.

It's not a modeling amp, it's an analog transistor amp, which has completely difference circuitry.

Essentially, the EMG's could "push" the coils of the transistor, as if they were tubes... But I'm not sure if thats how it would work.
You'll be fine. Just don't use one of CorduroyEW's Beefbuckers through it unless you want to blow it up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
You'll be fine. Just don't use one of CorduroyEW's Beefbuckers through it unless you want to blow it up.

Ah okay.

Thanks
the guitar will sound good, as EMGs are nice pups, but it just wont sound 'better' like they would with a tube amp.

But 2 tips:

1. The regular 18 volt mod if you can fit a battery into the control cavity wrapped in foam or something. (I havent done this as I cant fit another battery (guitar originally came with passives) and my EMGs are the X series, so idk will the 18 volt mod affect that much, if at all, or how)

2. Switch the pickup places, I mean, of course place them the wright way like they are, but put the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. 85/81 > 81/85. kicks ass.

Jonathan
That's not that simple. I don't think any pickup by itself could push an amp that was designed to sound clean (like most non-modeling solid state amps, though some of them do have built in distortion) into clipping. But if you do push a solid state amp into clipping, it's usually not a nice sound. Most of the solid state amps don't have output transformers either, that would contribute to part of the distortion we got used to hearing tube amps.

Here's a good article about different kinds of distortions generated by tube amps, SS amps and pedals: http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/distn101.htm

That being said, you can get nice tones with the right kind of overdrive/distortion pedal into an SS amp. Here's one I recorded. Ibanez JTK with EMG HA pickups -> Maxon OOD-9 -> Roland Jazz Chorus (you can hear the overdrive at full tilt into the clean SS amp from 2:00 on): "Den City" backing track by TNuT from LP forum

By the way, what did you mean by "coils of the transistor"?
Last edited by Tinderwet at May 31, 2010,
@Jonathan

1. I'm not handy with a soldering gun, I don't think I'd be doing the 18V mod.

2. I think I'll be able to do that with ease. I believe most guitars with EMG's use that quick-connect stuff, so flipping the pickups around would be pretty simple, I would imagine...

EDIT: I was told that a transistor is made up of coils.

I've been looking at this PDF about Peavey stuff... it's Chapter 3, all about the development of Transtube technology. I don't completely get it. It seems a bit wishy-washy.

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/hartley/chapter_3.pdf
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at May 31, 2010,
Yeah, I'm sorry, disregard what I wrote about pure clean old fashioned solid state amps. The Peavey Transtube IS a modeling amp.
Quote by Tinderwet
Yeah, I'm sorry, disregard what I wrote about pure clean old fashioned solid state amps. The Peavey Transtube IS a modeling amp.

The Peavey Transtube is not a modelling amp. It has analog circuitry.

However, the Peavey Vypyrs use Transtube Technology, which ARE modelling amps.
I didn't say it's a digital modeling amp. It emulates how tube amps sound, so it's a modeler.
^no, you have it all wrong. Modeling means using digital circuitry to "model" the tone of a real (analog) amp. The Peavey Transtube models don't use digital circuitry.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Tinderwet
I didn't say it's a digital modeling amp. It emulates how tube amps sound, so it's a modeler.

I guess. I wouldn't call it a modeling amp, though. It's a SS amp with analog circuitry. Modeling amps use digital circuitry...

However, Tech 21 uses modeling technology with analog circuits, but those are made to model popular amps.

The name "Transtube Technology" only comes from the fact that the circuitry inside it sounds like a tube amp. It never had to be named Transtube, so that doesn't mean its a modeling amp. It's just a solid state amp with analog circuitry, that is comparable to sounding like tubes.
Quote by oneblackened
^no, you have it all wrong. Modeling means using digital circuitry to "model" the tone of a real (analog) amp. The Peavey Transtube models don't use digital circuitry.

I didn't know that the word "modeling" implies that an amp has to be a digital device. Anyway, it's still different from a pure SS amp like a Roland JC or a Polytone. Those ones don't try to emulate tube amps.
Quote by Tinderwet
I didn't know that the word "modeling" implies that an amp has to be a digital device. Anyway, it's still different from a pure SS amp like a Roland JC or a Polytone. Those ones don't try to emulate tube amps.

I've played a Roland JC-120 (I had the opportunity 2 days a week before school for jazz band), and in comparison to my amp, the JC is a little brighter. My Bandit can achieve punchy, dry, bright tones that sound exactly like the JC to an extent.

It's still a solid state amp... It doesn't emulate tube amps either. It gives a solid state amp tube-like characteristics.
So it doesn't break up like a tube amp by itself, when turning the volume/gain up? After reading that Peavey article, I thought it can give you what you wanted right away, without any effects.
Quote by Tinderwet
So it doesn't break up like a tube amp by itself, when turning the volume/gain up? After reading that Peavey article, I thought it can give you what you wanted right away, without any effects.

I'm not sure what breaking up sounds like, so I couldn't tell you.

I use it without any effects.
wow tons of confusion on this thread. Transtube is just peavey's trade name for the circuit used that's all. it is analog and only applies when distortion is used. it has no factor when the amp is run clean. using EMGs won't hurt the amp. the benifits of EMGs will mostly not be seen by the amp either. the Bandit is an OK amp but don't expect much out of it tone wise. you will reach a point where the guitar or pickups used won't sound different than any number of often cheaper guitars or pickups. if you think that by using EMGs you are suddenly going to get awesome tone sorry but not happening.
Quote by monwobobbo
wow tons of confusion on this thread. Transtube is just peavey's trade name for the circuit used that's all. it is analog and only applies when distortion is used. it has no factor when the amp is run clean. using EMGs won't hurt the amp. the benifits of EMGs will mostly not be seen by the amp either. the Bandit is an OK amp but don't expect much out of it tone wise. you will reach a point where the guitar or pickups used won't sound different than any number of often cheaper guitars or pickups. if you think that by using EMGs you are suddenly going to get awesome tone sorry but not happening.

The Bandit pumps out all kinds of good tones. I'm sure the EMG's will sound a helluva lot different than the stock pickups in my Dean.

I'm happy with the tone I currently have, I just need to upgrade my axe, and the Schecter Damien Solo Elite is the guitar I want to get and it comes stock with EMG's...
The guitar will sound just fine. I used a C-7 hellraiser with EMG 707s in it and the wasnt any clipping or anything.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The Bandit pumps out all kinds of good tones. I'm sure the EMG's will sound a helluva lot different than the stock pickups in my Dean.

I'm happy with the tone I currently have, I just need to upgrade my axe, and the Schecter Damien Solo Elite is the guitar I want to get and it comes stock with EMG's...

well since the pickups in that guitar are pretty crappy that's not saying much . no offense meant but i'm just saying that your amp won't give you the full effect of better pickups. as for the tone well if you are happy then fine personally i don't find them all that great. once you play thru even a lower end tube amp you'll change your tune on how good the Bandit sounds. to be fair i had a Bandit back in the mid 80s and it didn't suck but compared to a good tube amp well ya know....
Quote by monwobobbo
well since the pickups in that guitar are pretty crappy that's not saying much . no offense meant but i'm just saying that your amp won't give you the full effect of better pickups. as for the tone well if you are happy then fine personally i don't find them all that great. once you play thru even a lower end tube amp you'll change your tune on how good the Bandit sounds. to be fair i had a Bandit back in the mid 80s and it didn't suck but compared to a good tube amp well ya know....

Your post is hard to follow.

I'm happy with the sound I get out of my Dean with stock pickups through the Bandit. It sounds much more natural and real than out out of my Spider 3.

However, I need to get a new guitar because I need an upgrade. The guitar I want to upgrade to has EMG 81/85 pickups.

All I wanted to know was if the EMG's would clip my amp. I'm sure they'll probably sound better than stock Dean Zebra humbuckers.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'm not sure what breaking up sounds like, so I couldn't tell you.

I use it without any effects.

Break up = distortion. Where it starts to distort. Clipping = distortion too.
Last edited by Tinderwet at May 31, 2010,
hey dude schecter just also released the Hellraiser special line, its about same price as the damien elites but has a set thru mahogany neck, and 2 volume pots, not 1
Eh.
That's true, but I have two channels, a clean and a lead channel. And it's not a tube amp...

It doesn't make a difference to me at all.
Quote by Himelnator
hey dude schecter just also released the Hellraiser special line, its about same price as the damien elites but has a set thru mahogany neck, and 2 volume pots, not 1

They're more expensive, and only come in the superstrat shape.

I'm after the Solo Elite, it's the LP shape with two volume knobs. Plus I like the bolt-on neck. I hate lacquered necks.
^wrong. They actually give MORE sustain.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
^wrong. They actually give MORE sustain.

Yep.

Not to mention, if it really mattered, why would Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Jim Root, Eddie Van Halen (Franken Strat), Yngwie Malmsteen, Eric Clapton, etc. use guitars with bolt-on necks?

I prefer bolt-on necks to set necks because they feel nicer. I hate a lacquered neck. They're sticky and slow. I can easily sand the finish off a bolt-on neck since it's just a stain.