i'm fairly new to the idea of using pedals.
i normally crank my gain high and paly stright from my amp in my band but i think it's time to find my own sound.
i'm as new as you can get when it come to this so please forgive me if i say some rather stupid things.
i'd just like to ask, what is the purpose of an EQ pedal? i know it changes the tone of your sound but why is it an advantage to have one and is it worth me getting one?
Also i would like a little info on noise supressors if possible as i am looking at starting a pedalboard.
i play post hardcore music but i want a sound that is unique and rich in tone.
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
Blackstar HT212 Extension Cabinet
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Kustom Practice Amp 10W Dart.
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
An EQ pedal allows you to boost and cut frequencies because it is active. On an amp, the EQ is passive, meaning you can only cut frequencies (10 is the most the amp can put out on its own, and 0 is the least) with an EQ you can put out more than 10, or less than 0 of a particular frequency, or anywhere inbetween for far more precise tone shaping than what you can do with the amp's onboard EQ.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
do you think it's worth getting one of these considering i'm just starting out with my board? i have my channel switcher pedal and a boss dd7. i also have a boss ml_2 but i don't think i'm going to use it. thanks
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
Blackstar HT212 Extension Cabinet
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Kustom Practice Amp 10W Dart.
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
Well, if you ask me, you shouldn't force yourself into looking for a new tone, just because you want a signature sound or something like that... if you like your tone now, don't change it.

Anyway, to answer the specific questions:

An EQ pedal boosts or cuts your tone by different amounts to different frequencies. It's basically the same as your amp's EQ (bass, middle, treble controls in most cases), but there's more flexibility with EQ pedals. I recommend having one, because getting one made my tone a lot better, now I can't live without one.

A noise gate is a good thing to have if you play high-gain stuff and / or have lots of pedals or if your gear produces hiss / buzz / other noise. Basically, it gets rid of noise like hum, buzz, hiss etc. It works by setting a threshold for the volume of the signal that goes through it, so it only lets through a signal that's strong enough, leaving out the quiet background noises that are lower in volume than the setting of the threshold. A very handy device, you don't see many professionals who don't use these things.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah