So i have a line 6 spider III amp 75 watt, and I'm about to try out for a band in my area. I don't know if this amp is strong enough for a live amp. If it is not good enough for a live amp and would be good just for use at practices or at home, what would you people recommend as a good live amp. I don't know much about amps so it would be nice if you would be able to put the head and cabinet type you suggest. By the Way, i play anything from rock to heavy metal and some other genres as well, but in this band i will be playing heavy metal. Thanks a lot guys.
Charlie
Budget?

What bands do you want to sound like?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
it is more than capable of being used for a gig but it has a tendency to sound bad at high volums, if you're going to just be playing metal look at getting a peavey 6505+ 112 you can also use it for heavy rock as well
We really need more information, Favorite bands? even youtube links to your favorite songs would be awesome. What kind of pickups are in what kind of guitar? Do you like to use your pick attack to get heavy tones, or let the preamp do all the work? Maybe you want more cream, less crunch, or even liquidy gain?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Eveyones gunna shoot you a amp from the vypyr series to replaces your spider, just a heads up. That things like the devil to a church here.
Quote by Raijouta
Budget?

What bands do you want to sound like?

well i have just started looking into amps today so i have not looked into the prices of amps yet. but i would like it to be $400- 1000 at the most. and as for the bands i have a wide range of metal genre so it would be anything from avenged sevenfold type sound to stuff like veil of maya
Charlie
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
We really need more information, Favorite bands? even youtube links to your favorite songs would be awesome. What kind of pickups are in what kind of guitar? Do you like to use your pick attack to get heavy tones, or let the preamp do all the work? Maybe you want more cream, less crunch, or even liquidy gain?

Well i have a wide range of favorites anything from avenged sevenfold to veil of maya. this band that i am trying out for has an I killed the prom queen type sound, which is in dropped B if you didn't know. This is I Killed the Prom Queen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyMx_9lSD8g For the pickups and guitar i use a schecter hellraiser with emgs and i used my pick pretty hard. but i would say i let the preamp and my picking do 50/50 of the work.
Charlie
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Eveyones gunna shoot you a amp from the vypyr series to replaces your spider, just a heads up. That things like the devil to a church here.

so are you saying that amp is not very good?
Charlie
Quote by britishsligean
it is more than capable of being used for a gig but it has a tendency to sound bad at high volums, if you're going to just be playing metal look at getting a peavey 6505+ 112 you can also use it for heavy rock as well

Alright thank you i will look into that amp.
Charlie
please dont post 4 times in a row. you can use the edit button if you missed something, or you can put multiple quotes in the same post.
i've gigged on that amp for a year and it's fine. is it the halfstack or the combo?
either is fine but halfstack would manage easier.
mine sounds good at any volume, i don't understand why people slate this amp so much. i think it's great.
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
Blackstar HT212 Extension Cabinet
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Kustom Practice Amp 10W Dart.
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
im pretty sure its the combo. but i saw that you have line 6 head and cabinet for sale is there a reason you're selling it? i was just looking for some support on what to get or to keep the spider. would the 75 watt be enough for a live show though?
Charlie
HA! Good luck selling it on these forums!
it can gig but no-one tends to take you very seriously with one
peavey 6505+ 1x12 will do you nicely
especially for veil of maya stuff
You could even hook up a 1x12 extension cab, get some really killer tones!