There are way to many overdrive/distortion boxes out there and I am unable to try many of them so I need a bit of guidance. I'm looking for something that can get close to tones like this, this, and this. Getting a decent boost would be a plus as well, but isn't completely necessary. Been looking at the Hardwire OD/Dist, vintage Proco Rats, Boss OD/SD-2s, and the Fulltone OCD primarily, but I'm open to other suggestions too although I'd like to keep the price under $150 if possible

EDIT: What I DO NOT want is a clean boost or transparent overdrive.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at May 31, 2010,
The OCD is more of a distortion than an OD to me. Wouldn't recommend it as a boost.

The Bad Monkey is a great boost but a pretty terrible stand-alone overdrive.

Why not a TS-9 or TS808?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The OCD is more of a distortion than an OD to me. Wouldn't recommend it as a boost.

The Bad Monkey is a great boost but a pretty terrible stand-alone overdrive.

Why not a TS-9 or TS808?

Not enough gain. I'm looking to use the OD (if it winds up being an OD) for their more standard use, not to cook my tubes more . I'd like the pedal to be able to act as a boost, but it's by no means the main thing I'm looking for
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at May 31, 2010,
How about a modded TS9?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, modded TS9 could be cool. I forgot the Killers guy uses those for his distortion. Would that work for the Rat-y post rock stuff like TWDY though?
Board: