Would it be better to get a decent Guitar from a Pawn Shop for a first guitar? I don't really wanna drop cash on something that I don't know I will stick with, although I have a strong interest in playing.

Also, is there a particular brand that I should be looking for on quality vs price for the amp and guitar? The type of styles I will be playing are a variety of everything from Classic rock, new rock, metal, alternative, etc...

Thanks.
Pawn shops are great, there are a lot of good guitars found in some shops. Look for a Fender HSS strat. Very versatile guitar
It really doesn't matter, but it wouldn't hurt to look around a pawn shop. You can find good deals for some pretty good guitars.
Most people who own pawn shops don't know much about guitars. That's good if you're experienced, because you might just score something nice for cheap. It's bad when you're unexperienced, because they might just sell you something for way too much. Or something that doesn't even work properly and you wouldn't know at first.
Quote by TheQuailman
Most people who own pawn shops don't know much about guitars. That's good if you're experienced, because you might just score something nice for cheap. It's bad when you're unexperienced, because they might just sell you something for way too much. Or something that doesn't even work properly and you wouldn't know at first.

Yeah.

When I try it out, should I just play each string to hear for discrepancies or just open hand play, cause I can't play anything yet?
No, there's much more to it than that. I'd say it's hopeless unless you know the basics of guitar playing, as well as how guitars are constructed. Do you have a friend or family member who plays guitar? If so, bring them along to help you. If not, better stay away from pawn shops.

If you want to look for used stuff, the large online retailers offer used guitars as well. The deals are not as good as on ebay, craigslist or in pawn shops, but you won't have to worry about the gear being broken at least.
Wow... maybe it's just my city, but all the employees in the pawn shops are musicians. They all know exactly what stuff is worth so it's hard to haggle, they personally buy everything that's a good deal, and they charge a bit above what you'd find on CL. It's never worth it here in SA.
I don't know about them being musicians in the pawn shops in my area, but I know there is rarely any real deals to be found. Usually what I see is way over priced.

To the OP, unless you have someone truly experienced to go with you, I would highly recommend going to a reputable music store and buy something within your budget. And even then, take someone experienced with you if you can.

Don't plan on purchasing the first day you go looking. Take your time and sleep on it. A lot of "low level" or beginner guitars can give you a lifetime of playing, so take your time selecting the one that really calls to you. Try it in the store. Then leave it there, and go back and try it again the next day to see if it is still The One.

I have no idea what your budget might be, but some good starters are the Epi Special II or the Fender Squier. And don't let the haters or gear snobs sway you, either. If you are just starting, you are better off taking a small step with a perfectly decent guitar than spending $1k on a Strat and wishing you'd purchased the LP.
Last edited by Razbo at May 31, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman
Most people who own pawn shops don't know much about guitars. That's good if you're experienced, because you might just score something nice for cheap.

This is the truth. I found a Tobias Growler 4 string bass, that cost $1500 new, for $60 at a local pawn shop. They thought it was broken cause it wouldn't make noise when they plugged it in. They didn't know it had active electronics in it and all it needed was new batteries. I end up getting $750 out of it when I sold it.

I've found a few other deals over the years, too, but the Tobias was the best one. Another good pawn shop deal was my Epiphone Goth Explorer for $95.
I wouldn't recommend going to a pawn shop unless you know a little about guitars.
Try Rondo if you want quality for cheap. I just bought an SX SJM 62 off of there, and the quality is amazing.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by josephde
they charge a bit above what you'd find on CL. It's never worth it here in SA.

same here really. they aren't musicians at my local pawn shop. in fact they knew so little they wouldn't take my gibson SG and told me since it had a ding in it "nobody would buy it." it sold pretty shortly afterwards. but when selling guitars they research ebay for prices, then tend to overprice them.

the best advice is to take a friend who knows a bit about guitars. and might be a good idea to not buy on your first trip. write down model names and prices and then find out how good of a deal you're really getting first.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
buy some cheap SX off of rondo for like 100 bucks then buy a peavey vypyr 15 watt or spider 15 watt for another hundred and you will be golden for the first couple years, then you can just replace the pickups or upgrade your amp. if i was just starting to play I would do that.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
buy some cheap SX off of rondo for like 100 bucks then buy a peavey vypyr 15 watt or spider 15 watt for another hundred and you will be golden for the first couple years, then you can just replace the pickups or upgrade your amp. if i was just starting to play I would do that.

Yeah this will work out great for you TS. I was reading on another website that the cheapest strats on rondo are better a whole lot better then squier bullets even though they're the same price.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Yeah this will work out great for you TS. I was reading on another website that the cheapest strats on rondo are better a whole lot better then squier bullets even though they're the same price.

Alright everyone thanks. I am gonna go with the Douglas WM-1, pretty cheap, looks nice, I like the design but I may be a little biased. :p

tell me what you think.
http://www.rondomusic.com/wm13tsb.html
lol wow, pot leaf inlays.. classy guitar there

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON