I'm looking for some pedals and maybe a new guitar too.

i'm in a post hardcore band and i want to sound like these bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZ-ORAkkpw - Flood of Red (both guitar sounds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneNQa0IHK8 - We Are The Ocean (both guitar sounds)

could anyone help me out please?
my sound atm is basically my amp sound.
here is my band myspace so you can hear how i sound right now. if it helps at all
www.myspace.com/wwsuk
i play the lead octave chords in the first song.
i'm using a cort kx5 through a Marshall AVT150h and i have a boss dd7 and ml-2. but i think the ml-2 is no good.
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
Blackstar HT212 Extension Cabinet
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Kustom Practice Amp 10W Dart.
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
New amp will save you a bunch long term. Either a mesa rectifier of sorts, or a peavey 6505 would do you well, failing that a jcm900/2000 could do it. Hell, I use a vox ac100 cp with a ts9 and I play alexisonfire and the amity affliction fairly effectively.
mojostompboxes.com
Last edited by greeny23 at May 31, 2010,
do you have any suggestions?
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
the problem i think (that is what you'll have to get around) is the avt150h. I have that head (it was my first head ever), but i've since moved to getting a 1991 Peavey 5150 and a Mesa/Boogie Road King v2. You're gonna need an all-valve head for the tone (i'm assuming thats what your asking) - the marshall's that are in the video wouldn't be a bad choice (assuming thats what the band used to actually record with, which is doubtful). i'd go for a brit/crunchy el-34 loaded head with a fair amount of gain….

but if you're not trying to buy anything new…

i'll try to steer you in the right direction for tracking with the AVT150H

try backing off the gain a fair amount (its not gonna sound as smooth to your ears, but recorded sounds much thicker/tighter - this is true for ANY amp) - keep the mids higher than you'd like live and then just tweak the bass/treble so its got a tighter bottom (keep it from being boomy at all, this will not sound good) - for recording, i'd just tune it up and run straight through the head - no fx - but if you absolutely must - do NOT use that boss ml-2 in front (you're right, its NOT helping your sound) - there's nothing wrong with the dd7, but delay does usually sound best through an fx loop (the AVT doesn't have one)… if you want to make the tone even thicker and make the overdrive better, get an ibanez tube screamer (they're basically a recording industry standard)

i'm gonna stop now, hope this helps - let me know if you have any other ?'s - i don't mind helping out more (especially since i actually own the same amp)
i'd also second the new amp, it depends how much you want to spend really.

oh and hey, nice to see someone else from lincolnshire
i see others have suggested similar things for heads - yes the 6505 (exactly the same as my 5150), a jcm900 (also good choice), the mesa would be GREAT (but they're $$$$)
jcm2000 any good? i don't have a huge budget
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
i got a JCM900 SL-x, more gain on tap than the standard ones, but i think the 2000 is still higher gain..
mojostompboxes.com
firstly, flood of red & WATO win! haha

secondly, get a telecaster deluxe,
flood of red use a mesa boogie combo, and a 5150 head with what looks like an old marshall cab
not too sure on WATO though.
coould probably just email them and ask em! lol

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=7036223&albumId=2699790
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Last edited by Rossmillertarn! at Jun 2, 2010,
i know atleast WATO use orange rockerverbs so that'd be a good place to start looking or atleast did when ever i've seen them live and in music videos:P
6505 is more gain than he'll need and the rectifier has the wrong voicing in my opinion
you could look at used rocker30's if your on a budget you'd probably need an OD too i think they use them
Last edited by josh_salty at Jun 2, 2010,
i played a gig with flood of red in october and i was sat talking to calum for a good three hours. he was using a tele deluxe with a fender combo, i think it was the twin reverb. big £££. orange is the reccomendation then?
Gear :
Blackstar HT Soloist 60
G&L ASAT Special Tribute
Cort KX5
Tanlgewood TD8 Acoustic
Boss DD7 Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Mapex QR Series Drum Kit
bump! how about a blackstar ht40 combo?
Gear :