Hi UG

So, I've finally got a job over summer before I go back to Uni, which means I'll have money to buy my new amp. I've been looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, because I love the Fender clean sound for jazz, but I'm a bit worried about the need for a bit more gain from it. I know it has a drive channel, but I play in a couple of rock bands at the moment, and was wondering:

a) Does it take distortion/overdrive pedals well?
b) If it does, how would one go about by having the ability to switch between a crunchy, rock rhythm tone to more of a searing lead guitar solo tone?

For the second question, I mean things like, should I have two different pedals, one for crunch and one for lead, or is there a better way?

Thanks
Tom.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
I have that amp. I would say it takes pedals fine (But I never heard a amp that didn't take pedals well). It's great for anything from jazz to heavy blues. I don't know about metal though. I've ran a Boss OD/DS pedal, Fuzz Face, Russian big muff and they all sounded great.
To answer your second question, you could get two pedals and switch between the two, or get two and stack for leads. Or you could get a two channel overdrive/distortion. It really comes down to what pedals you want to use.

Or, tun up the gain on the amp, roll off the guitar's volume for clean, roll up for rhythm and hit the front end with an overdrive for lead. There really are plenty of ways to accomplish what you want.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
I've got a Blues Deluxe (which from what I hear is basically identical to the Hot Rod Deluxe, just with less gain) and it takes a Boss DS-1 great. I haven't tried it with any other pedals but I don't imagine that it would be a problem.
There's plenty of ways you could achieve what you want - the HRD takes pedals fine, though if I were you I'd get two pedal, I really dislike the HRD drive channel, the Catalinbread DLS is awesome for pairing with the Hot Rod, and can act as a great base for your dirt sound to since it stacks so well, so you could then get another pedal for more options, that's what I'd do at least, there's plenty of ways you could go about it though.
Thanks guys.

I mean, my only other question would be, do I have more than one pedal on at once with the amp, or switch between the two, and have one pedal for rhythm and another one for lead?

Tom.
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
Quote by sTarbuck
Thanks guys.

I mean, my only other question would be, do I have more than one pedal on at once with the amp, or switch between the two, and have one pedal for rhythm and another one for lead?

Tom.

You can do either really, it just depends on the pedals you're using and if they stack well.