Lately I've been wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as to mine. I've been stuck on the same level for a while and I didn't know what to do to improve further. I was constantly playing average difficulty songs from Metallica, BFMV, KSE and really easy ones from Rammstein and Linkin Park.

Then I tried practising Pinball Map from In Flames and at first, the song kicked me in the nuts. Too fast, tough alternate picking section (for me). But I continued practising until I had it and after a long time I think this song pushed me furher and improved my guitar technique.

My question for you, what 'breakthrough' songs improved your guitar technique a bunch?
Jackson RR3 Rhoads
Ibanez GRX70
Peavey Bandit 112 (2nd gen)
Ibanes TS-7 Tubescreamer
Boss ML-2
Boss ME-20
Under the Bridge really pushed my rhythm playing forward, although for lead, it would have to be Good times Bad Times - Led Zep. one i could play those cleanly, i was sorted
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Leica - The Faceless
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
The cleans from To Live is to Die by Metallica made me practise a lot, and I love it for it.
For me it was proberly the blackest skyline by british tech band sylosis (who are ****in amazing) well most sylosis songs but they just have some amazing guitar lines that i found/find challenging but amazing to play when you have them down
Black Diamond by Stratovarius, it has everything for improving your skills: complex rhythms, tough alternate picking, shredding etc... And yeah I saw Sylosis live a few months ago and they were quite cool
SRV's rendition of Texas Flood.
Getting the dynamics as perfect as I could was killer lol
"Play them blues, boy!"

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 2x12
ESP Ltd EC 1000
Jackson King V
Jackson DKMG
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS9
BOSS EQ 7
If Only by Queens of the Stone Age

It's something I started playing when I got my guitar some 6 months ago and now I can play it entirely rather well.
Try some Iron Maiden. I was in the same situation you are, untill I started listening to Maiden. I learnt Aces High (prob their easiest song) entirely and my world changed

Now I'm doing more complex songs such as Dream Theatre's. Good stuff.
Quote by SoDisCooL2
Perpetual burn - Jason Becker

kudos if you're being serious, and for me it was when i learnt raining blood all the way through, but to be fair it's quite an easy song anyway.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
no remorse- metallica
spanish caravan - the doors (although i haven't finished it yet, its still improved my playing)
For me it was Symphony X's Sea of Lies, and Paginnini's 5th caprice. Those two songs caused me to virtually re-invent my technique over the last 2 years - I solved a whole lot of technique problems by working on them.
I like to focus on a band and learn as many of thier songs as possible, to round out song techniques.

A couple bands:

Stung Out - Taught me a variety of pinch harmonic uses, bends and chord augmentation, like mid run slides to flats and sharps.

Rufio - Lots of fast concise lead runs and complementary parts.

Wilhelm Scream - Building songs that use many parts, based on the same idea, but not the same progression and chord formation
Sequoia Throne - Protest the Hero
I'm learning it atm, but its been improving my sweeping, tapping and alternate/strict alternate picking skills

Paul Gilbert stuff is also great imo, but you'll have to perservere
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy