im lookin to get a telecaster and already have an epi sg (g-400) just wondering about the main differences. E.g. What type of music theyre each suited for. I dont wanna get something thats sound pretty identical.
Always Rock!
Telecasters and SGs sound very different, and Teles are best suited to Blues and Country, but can be used for anything. I mean, Page used them for Rock, and John 5 uses them for Metal, But they are very different guitars to eachother.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

It depends a lot on how you're dialing your amp. The G-400 has humbuckers doesn't? Not only do Tele haave singles coils, they're angled and on a metal baseplate. Tele are used a lot in Country but you see them in Rock as well.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i'd be more inclined to use the tele for classic rock. Would it be a good guitar for simply that?
Always Rock!
Uh, why are you looking at buying a Telecaster if you've no idea what they sound like?

Anyway, you can't get much different than a Telecaster and an SG, other than maybe a Telecaster and a Les Paul. Assuming you're talking about a standard Telecaster that is; Thinline Telecasters and Tele Deluxe models can be quite like SGs in terms of tone, but you wouldn't buy one of those if you want the Tele tone anyway.

Teles are good for pretty much any type of music, so long as you have a suitable amp for the genre and you have decent pickups. Normally, pickups don't make such a big difference to a guitar's sound as some people think, but Telecasters really are effected by their pickups a lot. Telecasters are very simple and don't have many features, so everything they do have counts that little bit more. If you have a Strat and change the pickups from medium output to low output it doesn't make much difference to the sound at all, but in a Telecaster it could make a huge difference. This is one of the reasons why Seymour Duncan himself uses a Telecaster, they respond so well to the slightest change in electronics and hardware. It makes them great for customising, while a stock standard Tele can sound a bit boring.

Telecasters are best known for being used in classic rock, pop, punk and country music. Just behind those they are sometimes used in blues. They are one of the few guitars though where a simple pickup change can suddenly make them highly suitable for a very different style of music and because of that they have started to become popular with heavy metal musicians.

The typical tone of a normal Telecaster is bright with great clarity. The bridge pickups often have a lot of what is called "twang" while the neck pickups tend to be a bit smoother than Strat neck pickups. Of course this can all change with some basic modification.

Basicall,y a Telecaster can do anything you want it to so long as you know what you're buying and you know how to set everything up right. They are the ultimate 'blank slate' guitar. Of course the downside to this is if you don't know what you're doing, it's very easy to order something which isn't suitable for you and then you very quickly end up with a guitar that's completely inappropriate. Proper research and spending a decent amount of money is the key to getting a truly good Telecaster. Once you've found what works for you, you'll wonder why you ever played any other kind of guitar.

And this is coming from someone who used to say Telecasters were the worst guitars of all time. And hey, now I've got two, I'm building a third and I'm going to buy a fourth just for a laugh.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i think teles and SGs compliment each other really well. on the TDPRI forum (telecaster forum) there are a lot of guys who have one telecaster and one SG or les paul. kind of gets you all the bases. everything from clean tones, indie rock, hard rock, most metal, and so on.

BUT definitely try them out first. the sound isn't for everybody, and there's a chance it'll be heavier than your SG. all the teles i've played around with have been some what heavy, anyway.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
That's the kind of route I went with my guitar purchases. I originally had an Electra Les Paul copy and a MIA Tele and put em through a 80 watt Valvestate with different pedals. Even through an SS they are drastically different guitars. I personally like the bridge pickup for high gain rock riffs, but they're output is not high enough for metal IMO, unless you have a bonafied metal amp. I sold the Electra copy and bought an Ibanez because it plays faster like a Fender and still has humbuckers.

Anyways I'm never gonna mess with my Tele. I love the sound it has, and the contrast between the neck and bridge pickups works amazingly if you ask me. You can play metal with an SG if you have the right amp so the tele will work for classic rock, though it can do alternative styles of rock like Radiohead, since they have so much twang in their music.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by s12k17
i'd be more inclined to use the tele for classic rock. Would it be a good guitar for simply that?

Yes, it would certainly be good for classic rock. So would the SG.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
So far I've used my Tele for Country, Blues, Punk, Pop, Rock, and Metal. I think it's strong points are Blues and Country. Does pop well too though, but for rock, punk, and metal, I'd just use my Schecter or in your case, the SG. I do have a pretty high-gain amp though, so I can push it a little more with the tele.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!