Page 1 of 3
so is he? he's pretty much the whole reason i wanted to play metal, so i kinda worship him, but since i don't know anything about technique and stuff, i can't really tell if he's as godly as i think he is, just want your two cents on this guy and if you guys don't know him, here's a link to my favorite cover of his

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWZJEeBxYE&feature=related
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

What a noob. I could take him any day.
My Gear:
Taylor 410CE
Fender Highway One Strat HSS
Egnater Rebel 112X
Egnater Rebel 20
Digitech RP350
PIRATES!!!

Quote by VolumeControl
I once hypnotized my pet rock,. He just sat there...hypnotized out of his mind.
i've never thought he was that amazing. he isn't bad, but he really just plays popular songs (that aren't really by any means hard or challenging) and has decent audio-quality compared to most other youtubes, who just use camera microphones, rather than actually bothering to record something decently. so for that, he's stupidly popular. all of his originals i heard aren't anything special, just metalcore wankery. i'm not all that impressed by him. don't get me wrong, he isn't a bad guitarist, but he really dosen't stand out.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Decent enough player; props to him on using his pinkie a lot.

Way too much forearm movement though...he barely moves his wrist at all.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
he is ok, but not godly as you say. The riffs in that particular song are repetitive, the tapping is quite simple, the solo (while he didn't write it) is fairly basic in the pentatonic mold, and I personally think his vibrato is kinda quirky as in too fast but vibrato is just personal preference. He is a good player for a beginner to look up to, but once you play for a while you will realize that he is nothing special.
Quote by no.mop

Exactly what I was going to say, especially when he's strumming those octaves.
Pretty average I'd say, technique's not great. I did, however, enjoy the song which I wasn't expecting... So thanks.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
whoo, thanks for the replies guys, so i guess he's not as good as i think he is, so... who should i look up to then?
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by shadowz_fall
whoo, thanks for the replies guys, so i guess he's not as good as i think he is, so... who should i look up to then?

Just because he's not great, doesn't mean you can't look up to him. Alexi Laiho is my favourite guitarist, despite not having the best technique, he's my favourite musician and the reason I started to play the guitar. The thing to remember is that nobody's perfect, you can look up to them without emulating everything they do.
On a purely technical level, I look up to Chris Broderick and Jani Liimatainen quite a bit.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by shadowz_fall

Yourself.....don't compare yourself to other guitar players.
@aleksi
yeah, still gonna look up to him, he did inspire me to play metal and all
@yearzero
i don't exactly compare myself to other guitar players, i just look up to some guitar players coz it keeps me goin, like when i hear them play, i'm all, i swear i'm gonna pawn this guy someday, just to keep me inspired
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Quote by shadowz_fall

John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai
Quote by shadowz_fall
@aleksi
yeah, still gonna look up to him, he did inspire me to play metal and all
@yearzero
i don't exactly compare myself to other guitar players, i just look up to some guitar players coz it keeps me goin, like when i hear them play, i'm all, i swear i'm gonna pawn this guy someday, just to keep me inspired

That's the right attitude to have.
It's weird, when I was first getting into guitar and watching YouTube videos of people playing songs I couldn't play, it pumped me up a ton. However, you'll begin to notice that A LOT of people, at least in my experience, can play songs great, but FAIL at writing their own material, which I feel is the core of a great player. I am not saying anything about this guy, but a lot of the times I only watch covers of songs to possibly see what mistakes I may be making. Nowadays, I watch people jamming on backing tracks, playing their original material, etc. It actually inspires me to write/play more than really watching covers.
Quote by shadowz_fall

Whoever the hell YOU want to look up to of course.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by no.mop
Decent enough player; props to him on using his pinkie a lot.

And?

What he plays is clean, concise and correct. Doesn't matter how he achieves it, he could be slapping his penis against the strings - as long as it sounds good it is irrelevant.

Like the Seagull said - look up to whoever you want to look up to and take inspiration from.

Personally, i look up to anyone that can so something i can't - which is pretty much everyone. You can take a little bit of something out of everyone's playing which will make you want to strive for improvement.
Last edited by GilbertsPinky at Jun 1, 2010,
No offense but who is killerbuckeye?I only saw him today....

anyway doesnt look so bad but not that good either..average

Those metalcore songs are pretty easy if you ask me.Look up to paul gilbert,steve vai or JS..man there are many great professional guitarists for you to worship but instead who you're worshiping is an average bedroom player who know to record through the PC?
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
No offense but who is killerbuckeye?I only saw him today....

anyway doesnt look so bad but not that good either..average

Those metalcore songs are pretty easy if you ask me.Look up to paul gilbert,steve vai or JS..man there are many great professional guitarists for you to worship but instead who you're worshiping is an average bedroom player who know to record through the PC?

stfu

Who are you to tell someone else who they should be inspired by?

[EDIT] He does have appalling dress sense though...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 1, 2010,
I'd kill for his skills though... He's waay better than me :p
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
He plays the songs flawlessly and incredibly similar to the actual song. For this reason, he is good.
Someone doesn't have to be technically amazing to play songs perfectly.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by steven seagull
stfu

Who are you to tell someone else who they should be inspired by?

[EDIT] He does have appalling dress sense though...

I am not saying that he should be inspired by the people that I've mentioned,I just thought it is weird to have someone worship someone who plays metalcore and dresses like a girl scout(yeah I might sound like a douche but,I am sorry that is what I think..no offense to him,but really he should change the way he dress)I am not telling that I am better than him or anything,but I dont think he is good enough to be worshipped,its OK to be influenced,but worship?you should work hard and make them worship you...that should be your goal

Having said that,I have to admit that hes playing is pretty clean....
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 1, 2010,
i like his All That Remains covers, but apart from that i wouldn't say he's anything special.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
And?

What he plays is clean, concise and correct. Doesn't matter how he achieves it, he could be slapping his penis against the strings - as long as it sounds good it is irrelevant.

And?

TS asked about his technique, so I answered about his picking technique, which isn't good. Sure, he plays cleanly the way he does, but he's eventually going to limit himself with bad technique.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
He is very good at what he does. But he said that he is only at beginner level when it comes to sweeping
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
He cover's rather simple songs, and isn't exactly a technical god; but, if he inspired you, so be it.

Also, the guy's tone is pretty decent considering he's using a solid state amp.
Last edited by Faded Grey at Jun 1, 2010,
Look up to him if that's what you want. You don't need people telling you who to look up to. If you think he sounds awesome and you feel like you want to reach his level of playing, just try that. Music is all about your personal experience. Sure, Vai, Petrucci and the likes are WAY better than him, but you shouldn't force yourself to 'look up to them'. Like who you like man, who gives a damn what other think about it.
Play the music, not the instrument.
@steven seagull
yeah, but the only guitar players i know are from the bands i listen to, so just i'm asking about the godly guitar players i should know about

@archenemyfan
well those metalcore songs are still pretty hard to me so... i was exaggerating about the worshiping part though, gonna look up the names you mentioned, i honestly don't know a lot about the pro guitar scene

@Faded Grey
am i the only person in the world who thinks these songs are challenging? lol errr... noob question, whats a solid state amp?
Quote by DeadSoloist

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Just no.

Solid state amp is an amp that doesn't have tubes or anything in it, and thus sounds worse than most of the (more expensive) tube amps.
In general, that is.

edit: And no, you're absolutely not the only one who thinks these songs are challenging.
Play the music, not the instrument.
Last edited by Larsman9000 at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by shadowz_fall
@steven seagull
yeah, but the only guitar players i know are from the bands i listen to, so just i'm asking about the godly guitar players i should know about

That's fair enough, people can suggest artists for you to listen to but there's nothing that says you have to look up to them, or even like them.

As far as challenges go, ultimately anything you don't know is going to provide some kind of challenge for you, everything new you learn helps you develop.

Just don't go looking to that guy for fashion advice...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 1, 2010,
Everything else about his playing aside I think the worst thing about him is his vibrato...

Also I think looking up to only one player is something of a mistake anyway, I personally look at different players for different things because there are no players who really have it all. At least not for me anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Everything else about his playing aside I think the worst thing about him is his vibrato...

Also I think looking up to only one player is something of a mistake anyway, I personally look at different players for different things because there are no players who really have it all. At least not for me anyway.

Chris Broderick is close to having it all though. I mean the guy can do 8 finger tapping, he can shred, he can do jazz finger picking stuff, he can chicken pick, and he can play classical finger picked stuff on an acoustic. Purely amazing.....
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Quote by --{matt}--
Chris Broderick is close to having it all though. I mean the guy can do 8 finger tapping, he can shred, he can do jazz finger picking stuff, he can chicken pick, and he can play classical finger picked stuff on an acoustic. Purely amazing.....

Technically maybe but I, personally, don't like his musical style as much as a whole lot of other players and this is the problem, a lot of the players I think have a soloing style that I would like to achieve don't do it within a stylistic frame that I want to be in (jazz soloists don't generally do so over metal ) or they have the context I want but the solos lack or they have the solos and backing but something about their technique is lacking... I have never found anyone who has it all to my ears and eyes.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
(jazz soloists don't generally do so over metal )

Alex Skolnick.

But, yes, In general that does apply. Vice versa probably even more so.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by RDSElite
Alex Skolnick.

But, yes, In general that does apply. Vice versa probably even more so.

Maybe if he used some more obviously Jazz ideas in Testament, yes But I'm talking more like Brett Garsed, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan and so forth.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Technically maybe but I, personally, don't like his musical style as much as a whole lot of other players and this is the problem, a lot of the players I think have a soloing style that I would like to achieve don't do it within a stylistic frame that I want to be in (jazz soloists don't generally do so over metal ) or they have the context I want but the solos lack or they have the solos and backing but something about their technique is lacking... I have never found anyone who has it all to my ears and eyes.

True, I was just speaking from a technical standpoint seeing as he can play pretty much anything. But yeah I dont really like his music either, but do admire his abilities.
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Check out Marco Sfogli. As far as technique, phrasing and creativity go, he's up there with the best.

As far as vibrato, Martin Goulding has some of the best I've ever heard.
Page 1 of 3