So I have been playing bass for about 3 years. I have no problem writing bass to a song. However for this band I am trying out for, they want me to learn a song from their myspace and play the bass to it from listening to it. I am worthless when it comes to this.

Any tips? The bass is really catchy and fun for the song they want me to learn. Not just the root note.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
start with finding the root note.. just pedal tone it... then you will at least now what other notes are most likely in the progression... But the only thing you can do to to improve your ear is figure songs out by ear... you just have to do it!
I usually make the tone nobs on my computer speakers to make the bass in the forefront, if that helps.
pedal tone it?
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
it means to drone away on a particular note... and once you find the root note by ear pedal tone it and then you should have a fair idea of where to go when you know what key its in
Quote by Acoustnaut
So I have been playing bass for about 3 years. I have no problem writing bass to a song. However for this band I am trying out for, they want me to learn a song from their myspace and play the bass to it from listening to it. I am worthless when it comes to this.

Any tips? The bass is really catchy and fun for the song they want me to learn. Not just the root note.

The best way I do it is write a structure sheet so you know exactly where you're at, then work out the root notes and add that to your structure. You should then be able to work out what key the song is in by then so you know what notes to use when you're working out the fills. Also get "Transcribe!", you can slow down the music so it makes it easier to work out and it doesn't change the pitch. I think you can get a free trial for a few weeks.
Hardest part I find is actually hearing the bass in many songs. Any more tips on that?

After that find the root and basic progression of chords. Generally its 3 chords or so for rock that follow the guitar. Then the chorus is a different set of chords, usually 3 or so also.

The rest is usually filler notes that can be played more or less right until you narrow it down over time. Sometimes I find trying too hard is my worst enemy and my mind plays tricks on me and basically have to walk away for a bit. But then I come back and notice something a little different and add that part in. Its more an evolution for me than trying to get it all right at once.
Quote by mac_attack
Hardest part I find is actually hearing the bass in many songs. Any more tips on that?

After that find the root and basic progression of chords. Generally its 3 chords or so for rock that follow the guitar. Then the chorus is a different set of chords, usually 3 or so also.

The rest is usually filler notes that can be played more or less right until you narrow it down over time. Sometimes I find trying too hard is my worst enemy and my mind plays tricks on me and basically have to walk away for a bit. But then I come back and notice something a little different and add that part in. Its more an evolution for me than trying to get it all right at once.

Yes, First of all, NEVER use apple headphones, they are the worst for bass heads like us, computer speakers are usually bad for that as well.
I can't say I'm an audio expert or anything but I personally use Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds, they're only $28 and they are awesome, the bass is very clear in almost all kinds of music.