and im replacing the (cracking) pots in my guitar. Just a quick question about which pots to get. Like which brand and I think i'm getting 500k pots (one vol. one tone) because I don't want it too bright but I dislike a "muddy" or not bright sound. Would That work or would I be better with a different setup? (Its a SC/H guitar and I will have a 3 way toggle (on/on/on) with a tone and volume)

I'm more interested in which brands though, because from what I've seen; brands make a big difference.
Its the sins you do that make us who we are, but we still go to hell for them.
ESP MV-200. Its about 8 years old and the stock pickups have died, so I replaced them with an older guitar of mines pickups. I'm finally getting some good ones thrown in.
You really love the guitar? Seems like a laminate wood body, cheap construction, etc.
Just putting it out there.

For the record, pickups don't just "die". Think about it, there are pickups from the 50s that still work! Yours probably just needed to be rewired. That Asian factory import stuff can't always be trusted for being quality work.

I'm not a big fan of the JB, myself. What kind of music do you play?

Also, 500K is the right value. IMO, brand doesn't matter too much, as long as its a good brand of pots. I use 16mm Alpha pots in all my guitars, they work and sound great.
A lot of people swear by CTS, though.
Well- I play anything from coheed to BTBAM (big prog-head) and the person I got the guitar from basically stripped the guitar clean before I got it (its even been repainted and everything) and its had the neck replaced. I'd almost say its hardly a LTD anymore, but the stock pickups and stock pots, It even has a trem bridge now. The old owner had it just to try his hand on customizing.

As for them "dying", they had horrible buzzing, and where very muffled and had a very bad response(unwanted tones, low output). And at one point they just didn't work anymore, lone behold the wiring got knocked loose so I re-soldered it up, and it just went downhill. Switched it out with some old ones I had in an old guitar that I don't use anymore, and it was a bit better, but i was changing stock 200$ guitar pickups with another stock, which at this point i figured I should change out for some new, good quality pickups.
Last edited by BloodShotString at May 31, 2010,
Budget for pickups seems to be no problem as long as they aren''t above 150 each (which I've never seen anyway).
I've though of the usual emg 85/81 but I cant find a good SC or MiniHum combo to go with either of those.
Well, for me, I like the Dimarzo Breed for metal better than most of what Duncan offers.
You can pair that up with one of their single coil sized humbuckers, just depends on if you use your neck for cleans or solos or what.

From Duncan, I've never tried their Custom 8, but it seems beefy.

For boutique stuff, I don't have a fair amount of experience with the metal stuff, but I like how the Cold Sweats sounds from clips of the BKP stuff.
Here's a link to a US dealer...
http://www.guitarasylum.com/product_pages/bare-knuckle/bare-knuckle-cold-sweat-covered.html
http://www.guitarasylum.com/product_pages/bare-knuckle/bare-knuckle-cold-sweat-uncovered.html
Alright thanks, I'll look into those. Now I have a more general idea of what i'm looking for/at.

Edit: Just watched some vids on those pickups (or the brand/company's other pickups) and god damn those have awesome cleans and powerful distortion. I'm gonna have to Get my hands on one of those now.
Last edited by BloodShotString at May 31, 2010,
500k is going to rip your ears out with a JB if the guitar is even remotely bright on its own.

I ended up with 250K on the volume when I had my Rhoads.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.