I'm interested in purchasing a SOG Trident, and I was wondering, with the mechanism this knife has (a spring loaded coil that works using opposing tension, which basically makes it so that to open the knife, you just push the knob on the blade and the springs do the rest of the work) is it legal for me to carry this in Canada (specifically Ontario)? I've read up on it, I'm getting multiple answers, such as the limit for blade length being 4 inches, then 6 inches, and that it's illegal if it's in my pocket. I would use it as a tool, for fishing, etc. My girlfriend has a knife similar (but without the mechanism) that is probably 4-4.5 inches, and she says that she had to sign a waiver saying that she had to either have it sheathed, or have the clip sticking out of her pocket for it to be legal. If any of you know if it's legal, I'd appreciate help, cause this knife is a beauty, and I need a new (QUALITY) knife desperately.

tl;dr: Is the knife in the link legal to hold in Ontario?

Thanks.
The springs in it make it illegal. The knife cannot be spring-loaded, and you can't be able to open it using gravity or centrifugal force. If you want a legal knife, the only way you can have one is if it only opens by hand. No buttons.

At least I'm pretty sure that's right.
Quote by GRiMM94
The springs in it make it illegal. The knife cannot be spring-loaded, and you can't be able to open it using gravity or centrifugal force. If you want a legal knife, the only way you can have one is if it only opens by hand. No buttons.

At least I'm pretty sure that's right.

I was afraid I worded that wrong. Here's the description from the website about the mechanism:

SOG Assisted Technology works through the balance of opposing high-tension coil springs. As one opens the blade the force to propel the knife open becomes greater than the closing force and the blade will open on its own. The end result propels the blade out once the operator has initiated the one-handed opening action.

So it isn't a gravity knife. And it doesn't open automatically with the use of a push button (auto-knife).
I think that's legal then. The blade length looks legal too. I think you need to register it though, as either a hunting/fishing tool, or as a strictly self-defense thing. Once again, I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of it.
you coul alternativly look at getting something like a multi tool swiss army knife, the blade on that is only about 3"
Quote by church773
Nah I want this knife specifically. Also, I'm pretty sure admitting it's a self defense knife is admitting you would use it to harm a person, so...

Also I just don't want a cop to take it away from me/press charges if i'm caught with this.

I've had a friend get arrested for having a knife on him, but I'm not really sure of the details. It'd probably be better to say it's for hunting.
All spring loads, gravity, and centrifugals are prohibited. Cool knife though, but I'd say keep it at home if you get it. Started doing that with my balisong after a particularly close shave.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
That looks like an awesome knife. I actually have a short, maybe 1 foot long katana that would be great for hunting or self defense, but its not exactly easily concealable.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ