I'm looking to buy a second 5 string bass so i can use my olp as a backup, and I found an ibanez soundgear sr505. It plays great and is within my budget, but i dont really know what the soundgear series is all about. Is it a sub company of ibanez (like fender, squier, or ltd are) or is it just another series of some sort? or is it a whole other situation?
The Soundgear series is Ibanez's biggest line of basses. They aren't an affiliate or sub-manufacturer; they are Ibanez through and through. I have an SRX 505 that I just restrung this morning and it is a fantastic bass. It differs from the SR 505 in the pickups, so I imagine that an SR 505 would be a fine addition to your bass arsenal.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have an SR500 and it's been a very faithful companion for me and I would recommend it to anyone for anything
The only issue I have with the SR505 is the string spacing, but that's a personal preference. From a sound and playability perspective, I have always maintained that the SR series is one of the best values in the bass world; amazing sound for a great price. I own an SR800 and I love it.
I got a sr605 today and I am really enjoying it. the only thing is I may want to return it to get the newer model one
I let you get away so cleanly.
I have the SR505 and its pretty nice. However, i preferred the feel of the fender Jazz V.

Also.. I would think the OLP is a higher quality than the 505? Or is the OLP you have a 4 string and just want a 5 to screw around?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
I have the SR505 and its pretty nice. However, i preferred the feel of the fender Jazz V.

Also.. I would think the OLP is a higher quality than the 505? Or is the OLP you have a 4 string and just want a 5 to screw around?

no way
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I own an SR500 and I love it. Once I restrung it and got it professionally set up, it played beautifully and I can see this bass being in my aresnal for a long time to come.

Saying that, the only thing that would make me sell/replace it, is if I was getting a model higher up in the SR series.