So I bought a peavey valveking 100 head and cabinet today, I got home, hooked it up and jammed on it a bit and it seemed to be working fine. However, a few minutes ago, I had turned it on and was just about to start playing when it suddenly just switched off. I tried moving it to another outlet but it still won't start. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong? This is my first tube amp/head and cab so I don't really know what may be causing the problem.

I'm aware that you have to put it on standby to let the tubes warm up first and then you switch the actual amp on, and I did that. Here's some more information that may be relevant. it has 4, 8, and 16 ohms impedance which I have switched to 8. 2 speaker outputs, i have the cable plugged into the one on the right. There are 2 input things on the cabinet and I have the cable running into the top one.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for my noobness.
Check out my band Disturbed
Dammit, it's always confusing when people try and explain how they're turning an amp without sitting in front of one.

I could be completely misinterpreting what you've written, but it sounds to me like you're flicking the standby switch and then turning the amp on. You wanna turn the amp on so it glows but you can't hear anything when you play, and then flip your standby. That's probably what you've been doing but it confused me when you wrote it, so I thought I'd explain just to make sure.

Check your fuse as well. Make sure the socket on the back is fully plugged in. Are you using an actual speaker cable from the amp to cab and not a patch cable? Power outage?

Iunno what else. My old Bugera did that once, so I took it in to get fixed. Got it back and it never did that again.
Quote by enselmis
Dammit, it's always confusing when people try and explain how they're turning an amp without sitting in front of one.

I could be completely misinterpreting what you've written, but it sounds to me like you're flicking the standby switch and then turning the amp on. You wanna turn the amp on so it glows but you can't hear anything when you play, and then flip your standby. That's probably what you've been doing but it confused me when you wrote it, so I thought I'd explain just to make sure.

Check your fuse as well. Make sure the socket on the back is fully plugged in. Are you using an actual speaker cable from the amp to cab and not a patch cable? Power outage?

Iunno what else. My old Bugera did that once, so I took it in to get fixed. Got it back and it never did that again.

Yeah, i flipped standby first and then power. That's how I was told to do it. Guess that's wrong huh? Tried it the other way around and it turned on. And as i'm writing this it turned off again...
Pretty sure it's Power then Standby as it would make sense that your amp has to be on for the tubes to warm up. You sure there aren't any issues with your power cable at the back? What if it's frayed or summin?
Quote by enselmis
Pretty sure it's Power then Standby as it would make sense that your amp has to be on for the tubes to warm up. You sure there aren't any issues with your power cable at the back? What if it's frayed or summin?

But I literally just bought it a few hours ago. Played it quite a long time in the store too and it didn't have any issues.
Quote by StewieSwan
But I literally just bought it a few hours ago. Played it quite a long time in the store too and it didn't have any issues.

it sounds like you've blown something in the circuit by using the stanby the wrong way around, you best try take it back and see what happens
Quote by britishsligean
it sounds like you've blown something in the circuit by using the stanby the wrong way around, you best try take it back and see what happens

Well I looked around online and it says to turn on standby, and then after a few minutes turn on the power switch. That's how I was originally doing it. So how exactly should I turn it on?

Edit: it's working now and i'm playing. WTF IS GOING ON

Edit2: Turned it off and went and did some things, came back and tried again and it wont turn on. This is really starting to piss me off.
Last edited by StewieSwan at May 31, 2010,
Quote by StewieSwan
Well I looked around online and it says to turn on standby, and then after a few minutes turn on the power switch. That's how I was originally doing it. So how exactly should I turn it on?

flick the switch marked power, leave it for about a minute, then flick the switch marked standby then play, if you're not happy take it back
Quote by StewieSwan

Edit2: Turned it off and went and did some things, came back and tried again and it wont turn on. This is really starting to piss me off.

Turning it on standby means having the standby set so that you can't hear anything when you okay. Seriously, refer to previous statement.

How can you be warming up the tubes if they aren't getting any power.
The Ultimate Turning On Tube Amplifiers Post ( )
1. Power and Standby off
2. Power on, Standby off
3. *30 seconds to 1 minute*
4. Power on, Standby on
5. Play
6. ?????
7. PROFIT!

When I turn mine off, I just flip 'em both at the same time.. Some people say to put it back on standby, but... eh. Doesn't really matter. All standby really does is route power to the tube heaters, and when it's off (or on, on the amp), the current is allowed to flow through the tubes AND the heaters. 'Cause, you know, those bitches gotta stay hot

So using standby to turn off an amp is pretty pointless; you're just keeping your tubes warm to turn it off .

BUT. Before you turn your amp BACK on, make sure that both Power and Standby are off.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jun 1, 2010,
Thank you stratman, for your in depth guide to turning an amp on. Save it as a PDF just in case this kind of shenanigans arises again. I pray that it does not.
Can't we just sticky my post and get these goddamned threads out of here?
--

--
Ok, it seems the problem was that the wall outlet i was plugged into just wasn't powerful enough to run my amp. I moved it to another room and it works fine now.

Edit: Nope, acting up again. Would it turn on once in a while if the fuse was blown? Or would a blown fuse prevent it from turning on at all?
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 1, 2010,
A blown fuse wouldn't let it turn on at all.

Describe in the best detail you possibly can what is going on. Is it not turning on? Is it turning on, and then turning off? Is it dying while playing?

If it doesn't turn on: Fuse

If it doesn't stay on: Possible voltage problem, could be a bigger issue. Would experiment at other houses, other outlets.

If it dies while playing: tube, probably power tube.

But describe EXACTLY what is going on.

Also, with the cab. MAKE SURE YOUR IMPEDANCES MATCH. Check what the ohms are on the back of the cab. That wouldn't exactly make your amp turn off and on, as much as it would fry your amp, and it wouldn't turn on at all.
--

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by stratman_13
A blown fuse wouldn't let it turn on at all.

Describe in the best detail you possibly can what is going on. Is it not turning on? Is it turning on, and then turning off? Is it dying while playing?

If it doesn't turn on: Fuse

If it doesn't stay on: Possible voltage problem, could be a bigger issue. Would experiment at other houses, other outlets.

If it dies while playing: tube, probably power tube.

But describe EXACTLY what is going on.

Well I had it on and was playing it, then I switched it back to standby so i could do some things real quick and when I flicked it back to on the power died and it turned off. Now it just won't turn on. No light on the front, tubes dont light up, nothing. I checked the manual and I am doing the standby/power switching properly now.

I have the ohms thing at 8 and the cab goes with the head, both valveking. And ther'es nothing on the back of the cab aside from the 2 inputs
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 1, 2010,
Sounds like they should be 8 ohms.

Okay, here's what you do:

Check the fuse on the back of the amp. You'll have to twist the cap, it should pop out a bit, and you can slide it out. If it's whole, it's good. If it's burned and melted into two pieces, or if it looks like there's not even a fuse in existence (depending on the fuse type) then you've got a blown fuse.

If the fuse looks fine, you have two options: you can replace the power tubes, see if that works. If that doesn't work, or if you just don't feel like spending that time, you can always just take it back and get it swapped out.

But, without being able to turn your amp on, it's next to impossible to tell whether or not it's a tube problem. Start with the fuse, and work your way back.

I'll check back in the morning and see what's up. It's way past this guy's bedtime.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Sounds like they should be 8 ohms.

Okay, here's what you do:

Check the fuse on the back of the amp. You'll have to twist the cap, it should pop out a bit, and you can slide it out. If it's whole, it's good. If it's burned and melted into two pieces, or if it looks like there's not even a fuse in existence (depending on the fuse type) then you've got a blown fuse.

If the fuse looks fine, you have two options: you can replace the power tubes, see if that works. If that doesn't work, or if you just don't feel like spending that time, you can always just take it back and get it swapped out.

But, without being able to turn your amp on, it's next to impossible to tell whether or not it's a tube problem. Start with the fuse, and work your way back.

I'll check back in the morning and see what's up. It's way past this guy's bedtime.

I'll try checking the fuse and if i can't figure it out still i'll just take it back tomorrow. Fortunately I got the 2 year warranty on it.
i sense some uber failure going on. Is it at all possible for you to make a youtube video of what exactly you do when you turn ur amp on? that way we can see what ur doing and if your doing it incorrectly....
Quote by r4ster
Pedalboard wood alters the tone

To each his own

Gear-
'06 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Bugera V22
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby w/ Fasel
2 yr Guitar Center no-questions warranty? If yes, then return it for a new one ASAP.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
I got an idea, it happened to me once.

Is there a switch on the wall in your room somewhere that is turned off? I once plugged my amp into a plug, I couldn't turn on the amp until I turned up the switch on the wall.
Last edited by kenvy at Jun 1, 2010,
It sounds like either a power tube or a biasing issue to me. Is your amp getting unreasonably hot to the touch? Most amps have a failure system. If something that is going to damage the amp is happening (too much voltage, too much heat, whatever) it will turn off. It is supposed to be a safety mechanism so your amp doesn't hurt its self. But seriously if this thing is new and is causing this many problems, you should probably take it back.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Edit:^ I don't even remember saying that quote in your sig

Figured it out. The fuse was in wrong (not my fault, i shouldn't have to check for things like that). So I fixed it and its working fine now. Thank good too, have a show friday.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jun 2, 2010,