I've had .13's on my ESP F series 2005 for a while now and I'm putting some new ones on soon. I'm aware these are pretty heavy strings and have potential to put too much strain on the neck. Is there any specific precautions I should take / any signs I should look for to make sure there's no damage done by continuing to use such heavy strings? I've heard you sometimes need to use a better equipped bridge for heavier strings.
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Are you playing in standard tuning? If not, why are you using such heavy strings?
I play in standard as well as drop tunings. Using them increases my finger strength and I feel I get a better tone out of them.
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
you should be alright as long as the guitar is set up properly
Quote by Univibe
Are you playing in standard tuning? If not, why are you using such heavy strings?

i had a guitar teacher once say i should be using 12's or 13's as he saud they're better for beginers, he wasn't realy happy as i was using 10's
Last edited by britishsligean at May 31, 2010,
in general when you change string gauges you need to adjust the truss rod. if you don't know how to do this perhaps consider taking it into a guitar tech and having him do a set up on your guitar for the gauge (and tuning) you want.
Alright, I'll consider taking it to the shop to make sure it's set up properly. What constitutes it being set up properly though? I may be able to do it myself.
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Quote by forsaknazrael
as long as its setup right, you're okay.

Personally, if you use alternate tunings more than a 1/2 step down, i think it's better to have a second guitar for that. Otherwise, the guitar plays too differently once you set it up one way or the other.

I would but my second electric isn`t worth fixing really. The neck is pretty much done, I`ve been thinking about getting another to replace it for just such a reason.
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
thanks
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
in general when you change string gauges you need to adjust the truss rod. if you don't know how to do this perhaps consider taking it into a guitar tech and having him do a set up on your guitar for the gauge (and tuning) you want.

that's not true at all. IF you're using a floyd rose or similar temelo bridged guitar then yes, it does need to be setup but that's easy to do by yourself and with the help of the internet.

For normal bridges and Wilkinson/Fender tremelos, changing string gauges doesn't require adjusting the truss rod unless you jump a few sizes like .09 to .11 or .12 But since he says that the bigger strings help him get his finger strength up, i assume he's used the other sizes too.
I run pretty heavy strings but I wouldn't do 13s in standard tuning. What scale is your guitar? It just doesn't sound good unless your action is really really high.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
I run pretty heavy strings but I wouldn't do 13s in standard tuning. What scale is your guitar? It just doesn't sound good unless your action is really really high.

I really don't get any fret buzz, If I did I would've changed a while ago. My strings are about average height off the neck. Definitely not too high. It's scale is 25.5

EDIT heres a little specs list
Features
Set-thru construction

25.5 in. scale

Mahogany body

3-piece maple neck

Ebony fingerboard

Anniversary inlay

EMG 81 active pickups

Volume & tone controls w/3-way toggle

Black hardware

Grover tuners

Earvana compensated nut

Tune-o-matic bridge w/string-thru-body

24 XJ frets
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
it's not about fret buzz. There's a certain point where the strings are too tight to be able to vibrate freely. you'll lose sustain and resonance.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
well theyre not too tight i dont think, I'm considering taking it to the shop once i string it just to make sure there aren't any problems ect.
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Quote by Nirvana00125
that's not true at all. IF you're using a floyd rose or similar temelo bridged guitar then yes, it does need to be setup but that's easy to do by yourself and with the help of the internet.

For normal bridges and Wilkinson/Fender tremelos, changing string gauges doesn't require adjusting the truss rod unless you jump a few sizes like .09 to .11 or .12 But since he says that the bigger strings help him get his finger strength up, i assume he's used the other sizes too.

he says he is using 13's and usually regular 6 strings (esp/ltd) are set up for10's (which is an assumption im making but he has not given any information for me to think otherwise ) and even as you state the guitar should be set up for this.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Jun 1, 2010,
.13 for standard is kinda crazy..

anyways, all you have to take note is whether your neck has started warpping a not.

If it's still straight as ever, you don't really need to care.
I have my SG strung with 12's in standard,no harm.Feels great too.
If its got a simple brdige setup stringing it yourself will be perfectly fine,just keep an eye on its adjustments.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.