Its my birthday on friday and I want to treat myself to an acoustic guitar.

The main shop in my city I go to has Ovation Celebrity's with a Koa top for about $650 which is my ideal price area. I know a few people with ovations and as far as I know they are regarded as very well made guitars. it is an electric acoustic with their special type of plastic backing, this isnt a big deal to me and I know its signature to ovation.

Any gripes about these guitars?

My main thing with an acoustic is a cutout, and for a cutout at my price range nothing seems to beat this ovation as far as looks and its capabilities (being able to amp it is a + to me, but not a necessity)

I must add that I play by myself in my room 99% of the time, Im not in a band and I dont do shows or anything, the closest thing to a show is sitting around a campfire, which is mainly what I want my own acoustic for. That and the sound, I love my strat but I need an acoustic

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at May 31, 2010,
the only real complaint i've heard about ovations is the bowl, as it can slip around alot when you play sitting down
I have a Celebrity and I like it. The main issue I have is that it's not very loud unplugged, but it sounds good plugged in IMO.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
My son has one and it sounds fine. Those bowl-backs can be a bit slippery, but he always plays standing up with a strap. No reason you can't use a strap while sitting....

Most Ovation models have....OK acoustic sound, but sound good through an amp.
One other suggestion:

Take good care of the wood on the front piece. The wood is highly prone to cracking, even when regularly treated and kept in a climate control enviroment.

They really are great guitars, with many shortcomings only as a matter of preference. If you are into the feel and the sound, they truely are a unique brand
I have a 1994 Celeb Dlx. Case kept. No humidifier, no special care needed... no cracks either.

Play her and enjoy!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
I LOVE my celebrity. It is an increadible guitar for the price you pay. Real nice bright tone, even with old strings it has punch. The action is smooth and low (though setting it up correctly will give most guitars that. Whilst it is true that the bowl has a tendency to slip, there is the flipside of the moulded shape being generally more comfortable. The inbuild tuner is another bonus.

All around I would be close to giving this guitar a 10/10.

I love it and would be distraught if anything happened to it.

Edit: I regularly record with this, A mike near the neck and the internal pickup in tandem give a wonderfull sound.
Last edited by Background_nois at Jun 3, 2010,
Preston Reed is amazing, I would love an ovation like his, I believe his has a carbon fiber top, it's an Adamas Longneck, not sure of the exact model though.

As far as Ovations go I have an LX Elite 1887 Ovation, and It's the main one I play, I will be first to say it's quieter than your standard acoustic, but great sound when plugged in.

I have played one of the lower end models, and I believe it sounded fine as well (one of the 300-400USD models I think), it's been quite a while though.

However when I was purchasing this one (My LX Elite), there is an identical one, but it's a lower end model and I did not like it, it had risen rosette epaulets as opposed to inlaid ones, this guitar I believe was around the 500-600 used mark, I then picked up the LX Model and couldn't go back to the other one, even though the price shot up by..Well a lot. Haha.

I haven't ever played the Celebrity models, but looking through the pictures on their website I think all the rosettes are inlaid on the multi-soundhole guitars, but check them anyway, if they aren't see if they have the higher end one with inlaid, just so you can see the difference between them, the two different ones I plaid had quite a difference in tonal quality, not saying it's because of the rosette, but the rosette was a sign of the two different models.

All in all Ovation is a good make from my experience.

Ah forgot one thing, the only thing mine has done and yours most likely will too, and any other guitar, is the saddle has been ground down from tuning and the acoustic electric saddle is actually the pickup. I just emailed them about mine to see how much a replacement would be so I'm hoping it's not too much.

This has of course been over a period of around 2 years by now I believe, but just something to be aware of in the acoustic/electric models.
Last edited by Roy Annashi at Jun 12, 2010,
interesting to read all this because every celebrity i've played - and i've played a lot of them over the years - sounds a little like cardboard. i believe the guitar you're looking at has a laminated top. if you're considering a celebrity, i suggest you go to gc and play a couple, play a few other guitars, then come back to the celeb and see how it compares for you.

the deeper bowl ovations with solid tops sound a lot better - my husband's 1778 tx elite t with medium bowl sounds really good with dr rare phosphor bronze strings on it, although it sounded boomy with the strings it came with.

you might want to try the yamaha fgx730sc which has a solid top, electronics and a cutaway, comes in 3 finishes and has a much fuller sound than the ovation. also check some breedloves and there may be a taylor in your price range in the 100 series.
Quote by glenthemann
Its my birthday on friday and I want to treat myself to an acoustic guitar.

The main shop in my city I go to has Ovation Celebrity's with a Koa top for about $650 which is my ideal price area. I know a few people with ovations and as far as I know they are regarded as very well made guitars. it is an electric acoustic with their special type of plastic backing, this isnt a big deal to me and I know its signature to ovation.

Any gripes about these guitars?

My main thing with an acoustic is a cutout, and for a cutout at my price range nothing seems to beat this ovation as far as looks and its capabilities (being able to amp it is a + to me, but not a necessity)

I must add that I play by myself in my room 99% of the time, Im not in a band and I dont do shows or anything, the closest thing to a show is sitting around a campfire, which is mainly what I want my own acoustic for. That and the sound, I love my strat but I need an acoustic

I have an ovation Elite T. It was a custom guitar made for Guitar Center a few years back. Metallic orange flame job and on board preamp with tuner. It's awesome. I bet you can find one in your price range if you shop around.

Check out this site: http://www.ovation-guitar-deals.com