Page 1 of 3
The FIGHTERS!

On top is a Suhr/Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100se+. Powered by 6 NOS Jan 12ax7s, a quad of jj el34s. and electricity. 2 Channels. The gain ***** edition of the OD100 line.

On bottom is a Rivera Ktre or Knucklehead Tre. Powered by 5 NOS RCA 12ax7s, a quad of jj el34s, and the tears of a unicorn. 2 channels, with reverb. 2 channel gain ***** of the rivera line, surpassed only by the Rivera KR7.

Eq'd just like the picture.

Gain Clips: Prs Custom 24 running .13 DR DDTs in C# standard, with an Alinco Warpig in the neck and a ceramic warpig in the bridge.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394209/amp%20ab/od100sehg.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394209/amp%20ab/ktrehg.mp3

Clean Clips: Tom Anderson Hollow T Classic running .12s with a wound g in E standard, with a calibrated set of bkp piledrivers neck bridge and a bkp sinner in middle.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394209/amp%20ab/od100clean.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394209/amp%20ab/ktreclean.mp3

in b4: you suck at guitar.
yawwwwn. old news is old.

Enjoy you jackals.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Damn, man. Turn down the mids.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Damn, man. Turn down the mids.

he's really not boosting them that much... and high end amps like that usually have very useable controls - the tone stack is designed to sound great no matter how you tweak it. unlike cheap-mid range amps that have to be dialed in
on the ca100odse+ the mid and presence control on the front is offset by the feedback/dampening switches on the back. So at low volumes you kick in the back switches to get some low end response but gotta push up the mids on the front to compensate. At stage volumes you'd turn off the back boosts and roll down the mids on the front.
Very nice, though I wouldn't buy one
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Ya I was considering a splawn nitro. Just not enough gain stages for me.
Quote by thrasher.
I honestly would not consider that high gain.

That's great for you. Standards vary from person to person.

For example, IMO, high gain is in the Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, old school Metallica, etc. vein.

Everything higher than that is just noise.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

For example, IMO, high gain is in the Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, old school Metallica, etc. vein.

Yeah, sure. But that is your opinion.
As was yours...

You see my point?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by thrasher.
I honestly would not consider that high gain.

are you talking about the playing or the amount of gain?
The rivera is 4 stage gain. The od100 is 5. I don't know any all valve 6 stage cascades.
If your talking about playing then ya.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

*Sigh* I hate people like you.

Agreed with thrasher, that really wasn't THAT high gain. If you guys want I can turn the gain up to 10 on my Invader, boost it, Remove the mids THRICE, and then quad track it to see what high gain really is?
Quote by AcousticMirror
are you talking about the playing or the amount of gain?
The rivera is 4 stage gain. The od100 is 5. I don't know any all valve 6 stage cascades.
If your talking about playing then ya.

I'm talking about your clips in general.
Oh my god, you guys are missing the point. The point is, is that him saying that that wasn't high gain, means that that wasn't high gain to him. That's all bubbs was pointing out. In truth, I didn't find it that high gain, either. But the fact remains, him posting that it wasn't high gain was irrelevant.

Semantics aside. Nice clips, you're getting better, Min. Sounds good.

Oh, btw thrasher., I plan on stealing your Diezel.

(UG really needs a "plotting" smiley...)
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by enselmis
*Sigh* I hate people like you.

Agreed with thrasher, that really wasn't THAT high gain. If you guys want I can turn the gain up to 10 on my Invader, boost it, Remove the mids THRICE, and then quad track it to see what high gain really is?

umm if you're going to boost it and then quad track it twice....umm then you don't need an amp you need an axe fx.
I know for a fact that circuit wise the invader doesn't have as much gain as a od100 or a rivera. Definitely not as much as a soldano. That's all I care about. I can do whatever the eff I want in post production. you're missing the point. I'm listening to amps not studio work.
Obviously nobody wants quad tracked high gain stupidity, so I'll save it for another day.

Gimme a call when you guys wanna hear some crazy shit.

And @ AM: Work on that mic'ing technique bud.
Quote by AcousticMirror
umm if you're going to boost it and then quad track it twice....umm then you don't need an amp you need an axe fx.
I know for a fact that circuit wise the invader doesn't have as much gain as a od100 or a rivera. Definitely not as much as a soldano. That's all I care about. I can do whatever the eff I want in post production. you're missing the point. I'm listening to amps not studio work.

I know dude, chill. One thing though. I'm pretty sure you know that every single Engl out there has obscene amounts of gain, and I thought it'd be fun to show our elitist high gain hating buddy what stupid high gain is. It was just for kicks, so relax.

Eventually I'll do this clip and we'll see what everyone thinks.
Quote by enselmis
I know dude, chill. One thing though. I'm pretty sure you know that every single Engl out there has obscene amounts of gain, and I thought it'd be fun to show our elitist high gain hating buddy what stupid high gain is. It was just for kicks, so relax.

Eventually I'll do this clip and we'll see what everyone thinks.

naw i'm just saying it's not a fair comparison. I'm just saying circuitry wise. I'm still looking to try out some engls.

i'm just saying that i'm wanna find the most amount of gain before studio post-production. That's for next month
Well, I challenge you. Who can make the clip with that abso-****ing-lutely most gain humanly possible. Minimum length of 30 seconds. Needs drums and bass. Production is key. Lets give ourselves some time on this one. How about it has to be done by july first?

Sorry, went off on a tangent, but it should be lots of fun. I'm in if you are.
Quote by enselmis
Well, I challenge you. Who can make the clip with that abso-****ing-lutely most gain humanly possible. Minimum length of 30 seconds. Needs drums and bass. Production is key. Lets give ourselves some time on this one. How about it has to be done by july first?

haha I need more time then that. I can't don't have a soundproof'd studio. : (. I got about 9 minutes of playing before I get cops.

But I'm totally down. I'll amp up the singer in my 2 piece and have him play. he can get more gain then me out of any of my amps.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 1, 2010,
You're playing is noticably better than the last time I remember you posting clips... Don't tell me you've been wasting time practicing instead of buying stuff for me to ogle?

I liked the sound of the 2nd clean clip quite a bit.
1. sounds meh. honestly. I hate being a jerk. but it just sounds. well. weird like it's a horrible mic or something.
2. your playing is getting way better!!!

3. the NITRO DIDN"T HAVE ENOUGH GAIN FOR YOU? are you insane?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by mattocaster99
You're playing is noticably better than the last time I remember you posting clips... Don't tell me you've been wasting time practicing instead of buying stuff for me to ogle?

I liked the sound of the 2nd clean clip quite a bit.

Thanks man. Don't worry I'm still buying more stuff.

Stay tuned.

Quote by Bostonrocks
1. sounds meh. honestly. I hate being a jerk. but it just sounds. well. weird like it's a horrible mic or something.
2. your playing is getting way better!!!

3. the NITRO DIDN"T HAVE ENOUGH GAIN FOR YOU? are you insane?

Mic's definitely an issue. Still trying to figure that stuff out. The clips definitely don't sound like what's going on when I play for sure. I mean the computer speakers definitely there's a difference. But even my monitors, it's missing the largeness and in your face. Like it's sort of the fact that when I'm recording tones...it has to be a certain loudness for it to sound the way that it does but once it hits the mics it can be any loudness which really takes something away from the recording versus the playing.

In terms of the nitro I'm looking at the tube chart and it's got 4 12ax7s with 4 gain stages for the high gain channel. So just from a circuit viewpoint it's not going to have more absolute gain then the rivera. The od100se+ is a 5 stage and all of the soldano's with the slo overdrive channel are 5 stage.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Thanks man. Don't worry I'm still buying more stuff.

Stay tuned.

Mic's definitely an issue. Still trying to figure that stuff out. The clips definitely don't sound like what's going on when I play for sure. I mean the computer speakers definitely there's a difference. But even my monitors, it's missing the largeness and in your face. Like it's sort of the fact that when I'm recording tones...it has to be a certain loudness for it to sound the way that it does but once it hits the mics it can be any loudness which really takes something away from the recording versus the playing.

In terms of the nitro I'm looking at the tube chart and it's got 4 12ax7s with 4 gain stages for the high gain channel. So just from a circuit viewpoint it's not going to have more absolute gain then the rivera. The od100se+ is a 5 stage and all of the soldano's with the slo overdrive channel are 5 stage.

Huh. well. work on it. I can heard that it has potential

as for the nitro. you're thinking too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig this speaks for itself. now go buy one.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Huh. well. work on it. I can heard that it has potential

as for the nitro. you're thinking too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEd342t5Ig this speaks for itself. now go buy one.

I will gladly a/b it with the hot rod + I have coming. Find me one to purchase.

When my buddy plays the rivera it's brutal. he's faster then I am and he can unpack chord progressions way better then I can.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
I will gladly a/b it with the hot rod + I have coming. Find me one to purchase.

http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sales&action=display&thread=7687

http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sales&action=display&thread=7721

there are others out there Im 'sure
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
The nitro has gain coming out its ass. It definitely is up there in terms of amount of gain on tap. Just look at KSe
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
The nitro has gain coming out its ass. It definitely is up there in terms of amount of gain on tap. Just look at KSe

Iunno about live, but I know that KSE are absolutely genius when it comes to production, even if I don't love their music. I'm not sure if they're the best example.
Quote by enselmis
Iunno about live, but I know that KSE are absolutely genius when it comes to production, even if I don't love their music. I'm not sure if they're the best example.

Live its still a crapload of gain. When i saw them a couple of summers back it still the guitars still sounded huge

Ill do another Anecdote

Min, last summer i Ab'ed my mark IV with a splawn nitro i was looking at. The Nitro stomped over the mark IV in terms of gain on tap, even if the Mark IV had a OD-9 boosting it. The first gear of channel 2 has about as much gain on tap as those clips. The second gear(311 i know im not using the word right since its not a QRbut mehhhh) gets to about a little more than a XXX
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by AcousticMirror
Here there be clips. Still needs more gain!

Definitely needs more gain. Sounds like a bit of bluesy breakup to me.

Anyway, it does sound pretty good. Still not convinced the Knucklehead is the modern metal amp equivalent of baby Jesus though.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
It really is. just need matrix claw and not me playing it.
It sounds bluesy cuz all I've been working on is pentatonics.
I know like 2 percent of a between the buried and me song.

minor blues scales through crap loads of gain is still going to sound bluesy. which is great for me. Because my current project is to piss off any one who actually likes the blues. But I've had my buddy come over and play hardcore and it handles that fine. I just can't play it. yet.
Quote by AcousticMirror

minor blues scales through crap loads of gain is still going to sound bluesy. which is great for me. Because my current project is to piss off any one who actually likes the blues. But I've had my buddy come over and play hardcore and it handles that fine. I just can't play it. yet.

I'm a blues player. your not so much pissing us off as just making us laugh at you
\

Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'm a blues player. your not so much pissing us off as just making us laugh at you
\

faster pentatonics bitch. what now. lolololz.
that and playing all of freebird in 45 seconds.
Quote by enselmis

I want in on this.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by enselmis

Errr... That would be extremely subjective unless you want to have the worst tone possible. I can get a shit ton of gain by plugging an MT-2, OD-808, Guv'nor and OS-2 into a 5150 with the gain cranked and then turn the volume on the track all the way up... but that doesn't mean it will sound good at all.

Metal is not about shit loads of gain, in fact - the less the better, as much as you need to make the palm mutes sound crushing, and that's it. Distortion muddies up your tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you can technically get more gain (read, distortion) from less gain stages, if you have the right design.

if the first few anode resistors were like 220k, and the triodes were biased quite off center, you'll have a lot of distortion on tap.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by AcousticMirror

Crash course on br00tlz:

PM-------------|
B ||-----------------|-----------------|
F#||-----------------|-----------------|
D ||-----------------|-----------------|
A ||-----------------|-----------------|
E ||-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|-*PINCH*~~~~~~~~~~~|
A ||-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-|-----------------|

Ad nauseam

Quote by ECistheBest
you can technically get more gain (read, distortion) from less gain stages, if you have the right design.

if the first few anode resistors were like 220k, and the triodes were biased quite off center, you'll have a lot of distortion on tap.

If it's distortion you want, just make sure the amp doesn't produce any sound at all. Infinite distortion.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Jun 1, 2010,
Quote by STABxYOU
I want in on this.

so do i.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Page 1 of 3