ok if were to get this. would it be a decent upgrade from my stock pickups? (my guitar is a fender strat w/ some kind of shitty ceramics in it.) or should i just go for the s/s/s alinco ones.

Also!

i am going to get a GFS kit to build and i was wondering if i should get the explorer kit or the mockingbird kit. i like both body styles but i really need some help choosing.
You won't see much improvement unless you go with the AlNiCo pups.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
You'll wanna go alnico I think. I did one of the cheap upgrades at first and it was a good deal better but I wish I had just gone straight to the alnico instead of going halfway.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
mmk... ill go alinco then.. also wat about the two kit shapes... i need help.
Go to the pickup thread.
Does anyone know if the pickup thread has a section on GFS? I think it'd be useful. Hell, I'd even write it, if someone wanted.
..I was watching my death.
I wouldn't be able to choose. They could both look great.

The pickup thread doesn't have a GFS section.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at May 31, 2010,
awesome thanks. and i think it would be extremly helpful if u wrote anout GFS in the pickup thread. so im thinking the explorer. im jus worried about gluing in the neck. and drilling the strap button holes and all that.
I think the Mockingbird could look pretty sexy.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i recently finished my explorer kit, it's great and an easy build
only issue with the one i got was that the bridge was drilled a little too far forward so its too far forward to properly intonate, so they need to be filled and redrilled, which im gonna have a luthier do in the future, for now im putting it down for a bit.
It may be an isolated issue though and it's a relatively easy fix
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
yea i think so too.. and with the maple neck w/ ebony cloud inlays. idk man. but i dont just want a solid black finish. hmmm.... more help? either or i dont want a solid black finish so finish help to if your so obliged.
how hard was it to glue the neck in? i love both shapes and i just can choose.... but im just super worried about the set neck. i can do bolt on no prob.
oh also. if u were to do a solid color on your build would u of had to use any filler? or anything like that before hand?
Ugh, I hate how the guy who writes the descriptions for GFS merchandise invariably sounds like a shady crack dealer ("THESE $20 PUPS ARE DA BAWMB!! SYRUPPY SWEET TONE Y'know what ah meen??")

Quote by timbit2006
Go to the pickup thread.
Does anyone know if the pickup thread has a section on GFS? I think it'd be useful. Hell, I'd even write it, if someone wanted.

Yeah it actually doesn't, but It certainly does need one. Type up a draft and PM it to me, if it's good I'll edit it some more and then run it by some of the other regulars and see what they think. Make sure you follow the format (name, brief description, pros, notes/cons)
Quote by kiaba94
can anyone answer my finishing question as well?

Finishing question?

Oh, also. I'd say Explorer.
..I was watching my death.
ok so i am definately going for explorer. and are the fillers from stew mac good? or could i possibly find some at my local home depo? also can i find titebond at home depo to glue the neck?
go with an explorer kit and mod the body shape. explorers = lots of wood to play with
no sir away a papaya war is on
explorer > star
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal